I know this is a cruising forum but... this race is fun for all

Jan 27, 2016
Ranger 29 Bayside, Maine
The 2018 Around Islesboro race was another great day of sailing (9/8)
_DSC8526.JPG
The 10 AM downwind start saw winds which had just died out, come in at 8 knots about two minutes before the gun. Banshee, (red hull above) was about the fourth boat off the line of 44 boats. We would soon be overtaken by the bigger, faster boats flying spinnakers, but held our own all the way to the ferry dock at Gilkey harbor.
_DSC8581.JPG

In the pic above, showing boats spread out all over the upper West Bay, you can find us just to the right of the green and white spinnaker. There were boats of all sorts, classics and modern, a wooden almost century old, Buzzards Bay 25, a Center Harbor 31, 3 Etchells, a Bristol Channel Cutter, two Cape Dory’s (25’ and 36’), and the usual half a dozen various J boats. There was a smattering of Rangers/Pearsons/Sabres & an Ericson, a beautiful Morris 42 Day Sailer, a 47 foot custom beauty, a Swan 40 and a whole array of others.
_DSC8595.JPG

The leaders rounding the Ferry dock.
Below, Banshee running throuh Brackett's Channel:
_DSC8645.JPG

Below, Gordon Fuller rounding Turtle Head in his Pearson 33:
JK4_patriot_atTH.jpg

This race is for anyone not just hard-core racers. You don’t need a valid PHRF certificate, and you can find someone else in the race with a boat alike enough to yours to provide interesting competition.
JK3_start.jpg

If you are in the Pen Bay area, consider joining us next year! Proceeds support our sailing school which teaches 100 kids a summer.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Nice report. We've never been in a race, but it sounds like fun. Thanks for posting.

Ken

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Wow! Nice photos and write up, Jim. We were out on the bay last weekend and I looked for the race but it must have been on the West side of the Island. How many miles is the course and how long were you out?

Feb 28, 2013
Pacific Seacraft 40 Belfast
We did that race twice in a Cape Dory 25 and had a great time. It reminded me of all the point to point races I used to do in the Chesapeake.

Jan 27, 2016
Ranger 29 Bayside, Maine
Tom, the race is about 28 miles, starting and ending in Bayside. The direction is decided just before the race based on the days winds. We were in a 4:05 this year, six hours on the water, some years its 8 hours or more. I have done the race in my current boat in 5 hours twice.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Looks like great fun, a great turn out and some great shots. Thanks for posting.