I joined the grounding club!

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
IMG_4722.JPG IMG_4730.JPG IMG_4735.JPG Tough day last week. Decided to take the family sailing on the hottest day of the year.
After prepping the boat in the parking lot my family arrived. Already over 100deg.
Motored to our favorite cove and played in the water and on friends jet skis.
Motored back to the marina to drop the wife and kids off to go home.
Sailed back to our favorite cove. Another boat was there. Motored around for 45 min, found a new cove for the night and while anchoring grounded......
No damage.
But a couple of things I learned. It's been along time since I was on the water in 105deg weather. I was fatigued and tried to anchor in an unknown area at sundown. But great night aboard (after my sundowner) and good sailing the next morning.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
from what I've learned thus far, there are those who have run aground, those who haven't, are liars...fwiw

Apr 22, 2016
Catalina 22 Folsom Lake
What lake, T_Cat? I joined that club first time out in my 11' Penguin! My friend said something like rpludwig, "there are two types of sailors, those that have run aground and those that will."

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
I grounded hard once in my old Clipper Marine 21. A buddy and I were out fishing and went across a shallow mud flat and stuck the keel good. We tried all kinds of rocking with the motor running but only got it stuck worse. Incidentally, I had sailed and motored over that area many times in the past with no issues, but it was late in the season and the lake was a bit low. The Clipper had a swing keel but it's lock down was a long bolt with a nylock nut that went through the keel trunk. As luck would have it, I had absolutely no tools onboard.

We tried everything we could think of to improvise a tool by wedging things together that were on board, like buckles on life vests, spare hardware, the handles of a pair of scissors, things that were in our tackle boxes, car keys, etc. Some of the things we tried may have even worked had it not been a lock nut. It was looking like the inevitable solution was gonna be to strip down and get in the water to shove it free. The problem with that was it was late October and the water temp was in the 60's. All the towels, bedding and extra clothes had already been taken home for the season so there would be no way to get dry or warm. Nevermind it was already evening and we were 3 miles from the dock. Neither of us was willing to go neck deep in that cold water, nor would it have been smart.

We finally freed it by turning the motor 90 degrees to the stern and locking it at full throttle. We then bounced up and down on the bow until we got it spinning 360 on the keel. This caused it to carve out a crater that got a little wider with every spin. After a while we had enough of a crater that we could start to make forward progress (still bouncing on the bow) and built just enough momentum to plow through the silt for several yards until we were deeper.

We were stuck for two hours and it sucked and it was embarrassing, but I did learn some valuable lessons. First was how to free a fixed keel from a soft bottom. Next was always keep enough tools aboard to perform any conceivable repair or maintenance. And finally, never take any provisions home for the season until the boat has been hauled and laid up for the winter.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
What lake, T_Cat? I joined that club first time out in my 11' Penguin! My friend said something like rpludwig, "there are two types of sailors, those that have run aground and those that will."
Lake Don Pedro just east of Modesto.

Russ

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I blame it on the choice of rum ;)

I also believe... "No harm no foul"
I figure it's even more likely with a swing keel boat, if you are using it right by exploring shallow waters. :D

I've got off by heeling the boat with halyard+rope->dinghy

How did you get free ?

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
I blame it on the choice of rum ;)

I also believe... "No harm no foul"
I figure it's even more likely with a swing keel boat, if you are using it right by exploring shallow waters. :D

I've got off by heeling the boat with halyard+rope->dinghy

How did you get free ?
It was a sandy bottom so I just cranked it up till I was free..

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Here I am, stuck on the bottom 10' from my own dock on Saturday. Grounded at 3:00 didn't get tied up until 5:00
2017-06-24 15.09.42.jpg

May 27, 2015
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Havre de Grace MD
I like that. "There are them that bump and those that lie about it."
Guilty on the bump part.
:biggrin:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
After my first grounding in Tampa Bay over which I was very unhappy, a friend said to me: " If you don't go aground a couple of times a year around here you're not sailing enough." That felt better :biggrin:! But it took a lot to get the boat, a Ranger 29, off that shoal as it got pushed up further by the wind and chop, combined with pilot error (me). Out there all night. Next day several attempts to drag her off using an 18-ft whaler with a big outboard did not work until we hooked up a balanced three-point bridle that heeled her over by pulling at the the mast top while also pulling the heavy load at the deck cleats.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
With the keel up I could float to the shore and walk off the boarding ladder
That's one reason I wanted a swing keel C22.
Motor into anchorages you wouldn't normally be able to use. :)
A bilge keeler would be cool, but impossible to find here.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
BTW that's fine Rum.......What's your favorite one?
Hard to say really.
Like food, it depends on the day.

Currently have some Belfast D-Special (Dominica), and Guayabita del Pinar (Cuba).
My fave sipping rum so far was some flavoured/blended stuff I bought at "La Main a la pate" restaurant in Marigot, St Martin. I still have the empty bottle.