Registered users don't see ads

i have to replace the sail rope.

Discussion in 'Ask A Hunter Owner' started by Nieves500, Mar 14, 2019 at 8:11 PM. Add this thread to a FAQ

Tags:
  1. Nieves500

Nieves500

Joined Thursday
    6 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter 25.5
    Sailing Nieves500 us Chicago, IL
    I am new in this sailing, I have a Hunter 25.5 and I have to replace the sail ropes, who can tell me what size they are. or they will have a diagram of which order they go.

All U Get likes this.
  2. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    7,105 posts, 739 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    Ropes also most commonly in sailing as lines can be purchased from this forum site store as they have the correct lengths although under boat information does not.
    @caverun
    Is there any other place to look? Thank you sir!
    Suggest posting in small boats in the future

3. stephen john penny

stephen john penny

Joined Feb 21, 2013
    11 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter 46
    US Point Richmond, CA
    You did not say what year 25.5. Below is a link to a typical Hunter 25 that has a table with the running rigging diameter and length. You can take each line off by sewing a tag line to one end, disconnecting the line and taking the line to a marine store that sells running rigging then reverse the process. You can hire a rigger who can replace all the lines. You can also purchase running rigging from this site's store.

https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-content/export/Owners-Manuals/25 Owner's Manual 2008.pdf

Attached Files:

4. garymalmgren

garymalmgren

Joined May 29, 2018
    56 posts, 41 likes
    Canel 25 foot
    Jonathan jp Shoigama, japan
    Hi Nieves
    You have a long (interesting) way to go and a lot to learn.
    Get a few sailing instruction books out from your local library.
    Go through till you find one that suits you and buy it.
    Then read it cover to cover. From A = anchor to Y = yacht.
    It will tell you what the lines you are seeking are actually called, where they go and what they do,
    The illustrations will make things a lot clearer too.

As for ropes (lines ) for your boat . I would suggest buying from the Sailboat Owner's Store.
    You will then get the advice on rigging the lines and back up that will be essential.

All the best
    Gary

5. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    7,105 posts, 739 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    @stephen john penny
    Thank you for the link but that is to the 2000 era of the 25 while the original post was for the 1980’s vintage 25.5 and the original owners manual did not contain the length of running rigging. At my insistence that info became standard with the water ballast owners manuals. However, the forum store has that info and can make up those lines for the original poster. I have asked a friend to help out as a last resort.

SkookumZac likes this.
  6. Calif. Ted

Calif. Ted

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    2,183 posts, 172 likes
    Catalina 320
    US Dana Point
    Hunter Ad Bot is your friend ????

7. Hunter Ad Bot

Hunter Ad Bot

Joined Oct 27, 2016
    0 posts, 12 likes
    US Seattle
    Hunter faucets and parts

[​IMG]
    Replacement fixtures, hoses, sprayers, washers, and more.
    See the product

8. kloudie1

kloudie1

Joined Nov 6, 2006
    8,233 posts, 709 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Mandeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the forum, Nieves500.. Lots of great info here.. Check out the "Boat Info" tab and click on 25.5 for downloads etc pertinent to your boat.. A quick note.. Lines that move and control the sail are called "sheets" ; lines that hold the sails up on the mast are called "halyards" .. Not cpmplaining about your usage, but when you go to look for replacements, those are the terms that you'll see .. Again Welcome ! .. The 25.5 is a fine boat.. lots of room and sails pretty well.. Congratulations !

9. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    7,105 posts, 739 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    @Calif. Ted
    Not an ad not as I use to be a dealer selling that boat and I knew well the information requested was not on the brochure nor owners manual. I asked someone who might know. Of course you could go to Marlo-Hunter for me to see if there is anything there as I have a lot on my plate and report back if there is anything. Thanks

10. 907Juice

907Juice

Joined Apr 7, 2016
    155 posts, 48 likes
    Beneteau First 305
    US Seward, Alaska
    Welcome @Nieves500 ! I grew up in the outdoors and fishing where a rope was a rope so I understand the learning curve and terminology. It isn’t just fluff to make us feel better than the other boaters. It really does make a difference. I honestly clicked on the link because I thought it was about replacing your sail (bolt) rope which aligns your mainsail in your mast. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions that need any other help. There are lots of other qualified peeps here but I’ve been where you are now not too long ago.
    ——> judgment free zone here<——

11. Don S/V ILLusion

Don S/V ILLusion

Joined Sep 25, 2008
    5,277 posts, 426 likes
    Alden 50
    US Sarasota, Florida
    Keep in mind the specs for lines on your boat are often small and therefore relatively uncomfortable to handle for a prolonged time. Bigger, within the limits of the hardware, will feel better and reduce difficulty in handling. If you can’t imagine the difference size makes (in this respect), you will after a long day sailing.

12. Calif. Ted

Calif. Ted

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    2,183 posts, 172 likes
    Catalina 320
    US Dana Point
    The AD BOT post popped up right after yours Dave and seemed related, don't know why they moved. I don't know anyone at Hunter but I've got a 20 year old cell number for Gerry Douglas if a Catalina unknown ever comes up.

13. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    7,105 posts, 739 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    Gerry Douglas can often be reached by calling the plant in Florida off Brian Dariy road.

14. markwbird

markwbird

Joined Nov 26, 2012
    966 posts, 224 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Berkeley
    Do you have a tape measure?

15. Nieves500

Nieves500

Joined Thursday
    6 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter 25.5
    Thanck for the inf:
    I do not know the names of sailboat parts for now, but I hope to learn in this somer, it makes me a little difficult to learn now. I had a serious problem, I went to the lot where the sailboat is to check the mast, it does not have the ropes that go inside the mast, how many rope goes inside the mast.

16. Nieves500

Nieves500

Joined Thursday
    6 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter 25.5
  17. isaksp00

isaksp00

Joined Apr 27, 2010
    1,034 posts, 81 likes
    Hunter 23
    US Lake Wallenpaupack
    The lines that go in the mast are called halyards, and are used to lift up the sails. You should have at least 2, one to raise the mainsail, which will exit out a slot with a pulley (sheave) on the rear of the mast at the top, and another to raise the jib, exiting out the front. If there are no lines there now, you will have to use something like an electricians fish tape to pull a small "messenger" line through the sheaves, including where they exit the mast near the bottom. Then use these messenger lines to pull through the proper sized halyards.
    You may want to take photos of the top and bottom of your mast so people can comment on how to route these lines.

18. Nieves500

Nieves500

Joined Thursday
    6 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter 25.5
    thank you.
    good idea I'm going to take some pictures.

19. Nieves500

Nieves500

Joined Thursday
    6 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter 25.5
    Hunter 25.5 1985