I have been offered a 1979 c&c 25, it needs work.

Oct 7, 2016
C & C 25 Annapolis md
this boat needs paint, sails , outboard motor and a complete overhaul . Is this boat worth the time and money. This will be my first time owning a boat.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Do you want to work or do you want to learn how to sail? That's all I have.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
The C&C 25 is a great little boat. There were two versions made. (mark I and mark II) The most significant difference is the keel and deck. The mark II is faster upwind and the mark I is faster downwind. I've crewed on both versions many times and I'am always impressed at how well they handle our local conditions. (15-20 knots true wind and short steep chop) They sail very nicely for a boat that was designed in the 1970's. In recent years there were nearly 20 of these boats racing in our club. Here on the south shore of Long Island NY they rate 207, the lowest rating in the country and they can still sail to that rating. For a 25 foot boat they handle heavy wind and chop better than many boats that are much bigger. These boats were constructed pretty robustly. You didn't specifically say what work needs to be done but all boats need work. Bottom paint (if that's what you mean by paint) is a typical maintenance item. You can pick up a used outboard for about $500. You don't have to complete all projects before you can enjoy sailing her. New sails can be expensive but if you plan on keeping the boat for at least 5 years you will definitely appreciate the better handling and speed that new sails will provide. Estimate the cost of fixing her up and compare that number to other used boats that may not need as much work. The biggest problem you may encounter with an older boat that hasn't been maintained is large areas of moisture in the deck or hull blisters. There are some boats that are not worth putting in the time and money to fix them up but the C&C 25 is not one of them.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Someone offers you a good deal on a 1979 Ford LTD. Needs a motor rebuild, tires, shocks, the seats are shot and the paint is crap. Do you take it?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Compare it to one that is ready to sail. If you're thinking about this boat because you think it's a cheap way to get into sailing.... think again. If you're considering this boat because you want to learn how to work on boats... you have a lot of time... you have an inexpensive place to store it... you have a source for advice and parts........ it would still be better to learn to sail first.. so you at least know what to fix and why.

You're in the Annapolis area.... it's like... "picker's paradise" Join a sailing club, or take some lessons... make friends with other sailors and get invited out to crew ... you'll learn a whole bunch of critical stuff if you hang around some knowledgeable folks... when the right boat comes up... they'll help you...

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Pass. For the price of sails and an outboard alone you can get a decent boat that already has sails and an outboard and will be much better taken care of. By accepting this boat you already acknowledge you will be spending significant money on it. Spend your money on something worth your while instead.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
And it is probably being offered because the present owner just found out how much it would cost to dispose of it in MD. Think carefully.

Oct 7, 2016
C & C 25 Annapolis md
Thank you all for the input I'm still confused as to what to do. I wouldn't mind getting a little dirty and spending some money. I just don't want to waste either. But thank you all again for your help.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Thank you all for the input I'm still confused as to what to do. I wouldn't mind getting a little dirty and spending some money. I just don't want to waste either. But thank you all again for your help.
you have listed in the original post, some of what is wrong with the boat and what it needs..... write them down on a piece of paper. then one by one, go thru them and do an internet search on what it will cost to replace/repair the items.... then once you get all the parts priced, you can figure that the labor to do the work and installations will be nearly equal to the purchase price, and even if you may do most of the work yourself to save some money, it will still cost a substantial amount for the unforeseen items and incidentals for those projects.
then after you get those projects finished, you will find that there is at least half that much again that needs to be spent for stuff that you missed in your assessment... just to get the boat in working condition and before you start spending on it to make it comfortable.

take the numbers that you come up with here and add in the purchase price of the boat, and then go on yachtworld and see how good of a deal it really is compared to other turn-key boats that are ready to cruise/sail...
this is the short cut to boat ownership education and will take the confusion out of it in a hurry. owning a boat is not cheap no matter how you run the numbers, but the only thing that will remain constant in any of the equations is that it will ALWAYS cost more than you anticipated.

jumping in and buying a fixer upper will allow you to learn the long, hard way what you can learn in a day or two by running some of the numbers... the downside to jumping too quickly is that you could quickly be in "over your head" and no way out...

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
This is a photo I took this morning
Well, hey, at least it floats!

No idea what it is worth in its current condition, or what a decent boat in your area could be had for. But since she is floating, she can't be all bad. If you are trying to try out sailing "on the cheap", maybe you can get a used outboard to get yourself out of the harbor and see if the sails can be cleaned and used for a bit. At least until you see if you like sailing.

Greg

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
The most expensive boat you will ever own is one that was free. If you like projects and have moderate skills and don't mind spending money on it that you will never get back then have at it. If your goal is to get on the water look for comparable boats that aren't projects. Our family has a Hunter 466 and a Hunter 306. We took on a bargain prices 1981 Catalina 25 that had a good motor and sails. We now have almost 10k into a boat whose market value is much less. But it is nice to look at, fun to sail, and is a source of pride when we are complimented on it. Just know that with that boat you will sacrifice time and money before you get on the water. Have fun.

Oct 7, 2016
C & C 25 Annapolis md
Greg, that's what I've been thinking. I figured a few thousand spent and I may have a few years out of her before I decided to spend a lot more on a new boat.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
It's definitely NOT a C&C 25. Check the transom for the hull identification number. That will tell you who manufactured it and in what year. Post that number here and we'll help you figure out what boat that is.

Last edited: