I don't have words

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Just that people tend to choose their snow tool based on personal preference rather than family or peer pressure.
You lie!:liar: EVERYBODY chooses their "tools" based on family and peer pressure. That's called "culture." It is only the one dude who has no connection to the culture that allows for a release from that pressure. Then others can follow because they feel like they have support.:yeah:
-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
The interesting thing about snowboards are that they absolutely changed the culture and dynamics of skiing. The "freestyle" movement in the 70's had some impact but only a lasting impact in competition. Aerials and moguls are still events that competitors train for, but the ballet thing pretty much went away. I'm convinced that snowboards opened ski manufacturers eyes to the whole shaped ski revolution. Snowboarders opened the floodgates for half pipes and terrain parks. I give snowboarders credit for their effort in back-country (beyond the ropes), but skiers have always led the way in extreme skiing and always will. The truth is that the athletes all know that skiing is more versatile than riding a board. Now that boarders opened the doors to terrain parks, half-pipes and now the snowboard cross (4 racers on a demolition course in each heat) events, skiers are doing it all, too, and with more ability because independent legs just function far more effectively. Not that it doesn't look cool when a boarder rides like a surfer. There will always be that appeal.

Even the ski manufacturers have adapted. Skiers buy twin tips so that they are no longer restricted to skiing and jumping while facing downhill. Snowboarders DID blow the doors down. Skiers have followed, and embrace all of the avenues that are available (including traditional ski racing technique).

Will (edit actually, Tom!), I noticed that your daughter was also sitting or laying in the snow. While it seems to be necessary for boarders to constantly be planting their rear ends in the snow, I'm guessing that she was doing the same just to be polite! :poke: Probably the largest objection that skiers have with regard to boarders is the habit of spreading across the trail with their rear ends in the snow and with backs to the flow of skiers every time they have to take one of their frequent breaks. ;)

On a more serious, there is a culture divide between skiers and boarders that is probably more evident in urban areas. There are locations where the whole culture of boarding is actually pretty disgusting. Stand in a liftline that is dominated by boarders who are chain smoking and every other word is foul, and you'll know what I mean. I've seen them barging lines in packs and in many cases not bothering to purchase lift tickets. I've been to areas where the lift attendants actually seem to be intimidated because they will turn their backs and ignore infractions rather than enforce any kind of civility. It's not the teenagers ... it's the guys and some girls that are in their 20's and 30's that are the offenders. When you go to ski areas that are further removed from the urban areas, there is generally no difference between boarders and skiers (except the whole sitting in the snow to buckle your boots thing :confused:). Perhaps that is why you get some surprised looks when people finally see a different side of it when they are removed from their local area.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Its a gross generalization, but 99% true...

What will a kid do?
If the parent skis, the kid will ski.
If the parent did not ski, the kid will board.

If the parent skied, the kid will be taught the skiers/riders code, and live by it. Also respect for the sport, the area, and others.
If the didn't do snowsports, all bets are off.

This obviously does not account for the few percent of parents who crossed over or who are young enough to have grown up on a board.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
When you go to ski areas that are further removed from the urban areas, there is generally no difference between boarders and skiers
Then I'm very happy to live and ride in a huge state with barely over a million people in it!

Also, I agree on opening the gates for terrain parks and half pipes, but it also helped to put a limit on the disproportionate influence of risk aversion in snow sports and resort management. Part of the appeal (a huge part for me, personally) is learning to use your skills to manage the physical forces and elements so that your descent matches your limits and preferences, and not just hurtling down the mountain at terminal velocity (unless that's what you want). If it weren't for boarders and free riders, we'd probably all be stuck on a snowy version of your least favorite interstate, doing the equivalent of 55 MPH... yuck! :solame:

BTW: I saw a YOUNG guy a week or so ago, doing ballet crossovers along the traverse at the top of our Swift Current lift.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
EVERYBODY chooses their "tools" based on family and peer pressure. That's called "culture." It is only the one dude who has no connection to the culture that allows for a release from that pressure.
What will a kid do?
There you go:poke:
I DID make a gross generalisation but exceptions are very rare. This whole concept is fundamental to the Dawkins evolution of a meme. The rare mutation is necessary.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 21, 2007
Although... I think I'd rather watch ballet skiing than skier-cross; :snooze: ZZZZZZZ...

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Ballet skiing was never manly. Athletic yes. But ... it's close to watching fat men do yoga.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Its a gross generalization, but 99% true...

What will a kid do?

If the parent skied, the kid will be taught the skiers/riders code, and live by it. Also respect for the sport, the area, and others.
If the didn't do snowsports, all bets are off.

This obviously does not account for the few percent of parents who crossed over or who are young enough to have grown up on a board.
Man, I guess I'm part of the 1% then! Unfortunately, NOT the 1% that most of us think about re: that rotten tax bill!

I've been skiing (slats! oh my!) since the late 1970s. My son always boarded. We slide down mountains together, or at least until I broke my leg skiing in 2009.
_The_Leg_0044.JPG
Ski accident (Medium).jpg

Always exceptions to rule, eh? :)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Man, I guess I'm part of the 1% then! Unfortunately, NOT the 1% that most of us think about re: that rotten tax bill!

I've been skiing (slats! oh my!) since the late 1970s. My son always boarded. We slide down mountains together, or at least until I broke my leg skiing in 2009.View attachment 144575 View attachment 144576

Always exceptions to rule, eh? :)
It's crowded in that 1%. We skied our whole lives, raised 1 skier and 1 boarder. After the kids grew up, then we (mother and father), took up boarding.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Walked into a ski shop to get my wife's parabolic sharpened and tuned. After the guy took her skis he looked at my 208 Blizzards with their Marker bindings from my high school ski team days and said, "we won't touch those."
I smiled at him and replied, "and, I wouldn't want you to either. "
By the way, it really seemed to impress the snow boarders watching those giant slats catching air in the half-pipes. But, that was almost 10 years ago. I feel way to brittle and way to poor to do that stuff any more.
- Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The interesting thing about snowboards are that they absolutely changed the culture and dynamics of skiing. The "freestyle" movement in the 70's had some impact but only a lasting impact in competition. Aerials and moguls are still events that competitors train for, but the ballet thing pretty much went away. I'm convinced that snowboards opened ski manufacturers eyes to the whole shaped ski revolution. Snowboarders opened the floodgates for half pipes and terrain parks. I give snowboarders credit for their effort in back-country (beyond the ropes), but skiers have always led the way in extreme skiing and always will. The truth is that the athletes all know that skiing is more versatile than riding a board. Now that boarders opened the doors to terrain parks, half-pipes and now the snowboard cross (4 racers on a demolition course in each heat) events, skiers are doing it all, too, and with more ability because independent legs just function far more effectively. Not that it doesn't look cool when a boarder rides like a surfer. There will always be that appeal.

Even the ski manufacturers have adapted. Skiers buy twin tips so that they are no longer restricted to skiing and jumping while facing downhill. Snowboarders DID blow the doors down. Skiers have followed, and embrace all of the avenues that are available (including traditional ski racing technique).

Will (edit actually, Tom!), I noticed that your daughter was also sitting or laying in the snow. While it seems to be necessary for boarders to constantly be planting their rear ends in the snow, I'm guessing that she was doing the same just to be polite! :poke: Probably the largest objection that skiers have with regard to boarders is the habit of spreading across the trail with their rear ends in the snow and with backs to the flow of skiers every time they have to take one of their frequent breaks. ;)

On a more serious, there is a culture divide between skiers and boarders that is probably more evident in urban areas. There are locations where the whole culture of boarding is actually pretty disgusting. Stand in a liftline that is dominated by boarders who are chain smoking and every other word is foul, and you'll know what I mean. I've seen them barging lines in packs and in many cases not bothering to purchase lift tickets. I've been to areas where the lift attendants actually seem to be intimidated because they will turn their backs and ignore infractions rather than enforce any kind of civility. It's not the teenagers ... it's the guys and some girls that are in their 20's and 30's that are the offenders. When you go to ski areas that are further removed from the urban areas, there is generally no difference between boarders and skiers (except the whole sitting in the snow to buckle your boots thing :confused:). Perhaps that is why you get some surprised looks when people finally see a different side of it when they are removed from their local area.
You could be right, there's little tray prejudice at our local mountain. A large portion are riders.

You hit the nail on the head with the sitting down in the snow. MAN! That's work when you're no spring chicken. The best areas have a bench near the top of the lift. :)

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Big Sky in Montana
Dave,
My wife and I were out there in 2014. What an amazing place. It's a Boyne property and we've had season passes at her sister mountains here in the east. Loon Mtn in NH and Sunday River and Sugarloaf in ME. We, being talkative, met up with a lovely couple Harry and Peggy Ring who gave us the tour. You have to google Harry Ring. He did the promotional video's in the 60's when Big Sky just opened.

Jackdaw,
My son is a product of the adaptive ski program here at Loon Mtn. He is a non-verbal autistic and skis black diamonds now.

upload_2017-12-13_14-1-29.jpeg

A wonderful winter pass time! Appreciate your efforts, the adaptive programs nationwide have done tremendous things.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
A wonderful winter pass time! Appreciate your efforts, the adaptive programs nationwide have done tremendous things.
The best times of my life were skiing with my kids and all of the kids that were involved in the various programs. Teaching is such a fantastic way to stay involved. Skiing gives the kids so much confidence and provides such a sense of freedom. When they are young, they learn so rapidly and soon they are swooping turns on equal footing with you. It's the only sport or activity that I know where kids can advance to equal competency with adults at such a young age.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Dave,
Jackdaw,
My son is a product of the adaptive ski program here at Loon Mtn. He is a non-verbal autistic and skis black diamonds now.
Thanks and you're welcome. Its pretty much the most rewarding thing I've ever taken part of.

While I ski race coached and also sail coach, you always get the sense that while the students appreciate it, it's an incremental happiness from where they were the day before. With adaptive however, you have a student who never knew they could every do that, or could ever do that again. The joy you see in their faces in priceless. The program here in the Twin Cities is one of the nations biggest and spans 6 areas. Here's a picture from our Train the Trainer weekend session two weeks ago; this is just our level 1 trainers that will train new instructors and vet returning instructors. The overall group of instructors is over 200. I'm easy to spot, I always have Wayfairers on. ;^)

24883646_10101664146509585_6790278472944970987_o.jpg

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
Well, this activity is one I have been participating in for over 45 years now. In other words, I’ve been going downhill for a long time. Skiing and enjoying our great outdoors is a passion for me and my family. We are so blessed living in the foothills of the Alberta Rocky Mountains close to a wide choice of world class Ski (and Snowboard) Resorts namely Jasper, Banff and others located in the interior of British Columbia.

Now, please refer to the attached Theory of Evolution chart while reading the next part.

The evolutionary timeline of skiing for me and my family is probably not much different from the rest of you who have been at this sport as long as I have. I started skiing in my teens on wooden skis, screwed on metal edges, cable bindings and lace up boots. Soon though, I found enough money to buy better equipment and became a Slalom Sapien. It wasn’t long that I evolved into Homo Hotdogus (what a fun time that was although I don’t remember much of it). As I aged and carved past the ¼ century gate, I advanced into Bumpus Radicus. This was the time of the Walkman, short skis and tight knees. From there, my evolutionary progressions led me to where I am now a Bigairus Extremus (although I still enjoy being a Bumbus Radicus when the knees don’t complain).

My family, on the other hand, are on a different evolution path, all Grungus Maximus (including my wife). She was an above average skier but peer pressure and bad knees, pushed her into the slow lane of snowboarding. Now I wait at the top of the lift while the binding is latched and pull her along every flat spot. My three kids all started skiing but became Grungus Maximus about the same time this backwards evolutionary track took off. I can still beat them to the bottom of the run though, and handle all types of terrain the hill can produce (except those dam terrain parks).

But, at the end of the day, it’s all about having fun together with family and friends on whatever apparatus you enjoy being on, just like sailing.

Attachments

Nov 21, 2007
But, at the end of the day, it’s all about having fun together with family and friends on whatever apparatus you enjoy being on, just like sailing.
:plus:

We are so blessed living in the foothills of the Alberta Rocky Mountains close to a wide choice of world class Ski (and Snowboard) Resorts namely Jasper, Banff and others located in the interior of British Columbia.
My wife and I met in Banff. :biggrin: