I cannot tell a lie

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
We've all been there. You're standing at your slip, or at the fuel dock, or in the bar at your club, and a sailor tells a jaw-dropping whopper of a story that can't possibly be true.

Enormous fish, even bigger storms, ridiculous racing exploits, crazy power boat stunts, the opportunities are endless.
Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 10.43.39 AM.png

What's the most absurd, implausible story you've been told by a sailor?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I don't know if it counts, but I once had an owner who claimed to be certified to fly 4 engine commercial jet aircraft. We were cruising the Leewards on his 71' Rhodes motorsailer and he happened to notice my 500 mb fax wx printout on the chart table. He asked what 500 mb was. I believe this is something ANY pilot would know, but perhaps I'm wrong?

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Other than telling her he just wants to get to know her? Usually wind speed or wave height.

dsims

Sep 22, 2017
Sirius 21 Clear Lake
I don't know if it counts, but I once had an owner who claimed to be certified to fly 4 engine commercial jet aircraft. We were cruising the Leewards on his 71' Rhodes motorsailer and he happened to notice my 500 mb fax wx printout on the chart table. He asked what 500 mb was. I believe this is something ANY pilot would know, but perhaps I'm wrong?
I'd give him a pass. I'm a commercial pilot myself, and that isn't something we typically use. Pilots don't usually look at the raw weather data, we get an aviation weather briefing that spells it out slowly so us pilots can understand it.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
"My new anchor will hold on a less than 4:1 scope!"

"I dont know who spilled that gasoline in the harbor by my boat"

"No problem, I can handle a 6 pack of beer, easily"

"I will buy the next round. [hic]"

Jim...

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'd give him a pass. I'm a commercial pilot myself, and that isn't something we typically use. Pilots don't usually look at the raw weather data, we get an aviation weather briefing that spells it out slowly so us pilots can understand it.
This was back in the early 80's which could make a difference. Back then didn't pilots have to set their altimeters by the barometric pressure at the airfield?

Last edited: