Hurricane Mathew put my boat on the hard.. What do I do?

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I can't answer your question but I have been following this post since the beginning and really hope this is what you have been hoping for. Best of luck.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Been wondering what the outcome was. Hope this works out.

To answer your question. Assuming the last hurricane did not pound the hull into something hard, the hull is probably sound enough to survive a pull out of the marsh and a gentle tow back to a dock somewhere. Once the boat is floating be sure to check for leaks, especially at the keel/hull joint. Then get it hauled out and go over the hull and sound it looking for delimitation. You might find a friendly surveyor to help you out on this, but it will add cost. A knowledgeable friend may also help.

Grampians are built like the proverbial brick outhouse, that's in your favor.

Good luck!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Good luck, hope you and your crew can get her free and floating!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
As was posted that Grampion is sturdily built. Just laying on it's side like that in sand might not damage it very much. It's not like water is lifting it up and down stressing the hull. You can expect cosmetic damage on the hull that is on the dirt. Based on my experience watching a boat washed up on a beach locally for nearly two years, the boat can survive. If water from rain or tide got inside the boat, and stayed there, the damage will be worse. I hope it works out for you. Many posters on this forum are hoping for a good ending and please keep us up to date.

Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA
I hope it works out for you. Many posters on this forum are hoping for a good ending and please keep us up to date.
That's crazy, I was thinking of you and your boat the other day, wondering what had become of the whole thing. Thanks for the update!

I am one of those cheering for you, who has also been watching this thread since the beginning - good luck man.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
There are at least 2 and most likely 3 boats in the immediate area of this photo. I am guessing the one is a sailboat, the one northward is a cabin cruiser, and the last is a torn up hull.
I would guess his boat never got salvaged. It was the victim of the storm and... other problems. However, there is a very curious drag mark on the left side of this little island... maybe his boat left that mark as it was dragged off the flats?
9481BF22-2DA6-414A-844D-24BA5FA6F919.jpeg
Google Earth Link

https://earth.app.goo.gl/6imr8H
#googleearth

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Aw,rats,! I saw this highlited this am and thought there was an update or resolution...

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Nope, I was just curious what the status of it was. Thought I missed it getting back in the water.

Sam