Hurricane Irma & TS Lidia

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You have to love the group of Sailors here on SBO. All willing to help others, when safe and possible.

One of our members has his Hunter 450 on the hard in St. Pete FL and another friend in St Pete, has offered to take a few pictures, since the owner is remote and apprehensive. :dancing:

Stay safe for sure...
Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Chip. Seems a sensible idea. Only risk is something comes down the canal and runs into them. Prayers for your safety and your families.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Chip. Seems a sensible idea. Only risk is something comes down the canal and runs into them. Prayers for your safety and your families.
I Stopped by today, and she is all good.

We ran two lines across the canal ahead of our boats with bumpers tied to them to catch any drifting boats. to the east.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Congrats on your dodge. The lines across the canal are very sensible. I'll store that bit of skill should it ever become necessary to use. Thanks.

So your powering the house with your own generator? Do you have cut-offs so power stays within the home? I have been looking at such systems for our occasional winter outages. From the sound in the background they sound like gasoline driven units. Have you ever looked at the propane or natural gas systems?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Congrats on your dodge. The lines across the canal are very sensible. I'll store that bit of skill should it ever become necessary to use. Thanks.

So your powering the house with your own generator? Do you have cut-offs so power stays within the home? I have been looking at such systems for our occasional winter outages. From the sound in the background they sound like gasoline driven units. Have you ever looked at the propane or natural gas systems?
My boat isn't docked at my house, but the dock owner has a natural gas powered whole home system with automatic transfer switch. Its been running non stop since Friday. His neighbors are using smaller gas generators. Most people here just run extension cords inside to power the Refrigerator, a TV , fans, and some LED/compact fluorescent lights. If you have a decent sized portable generator. 10KW or better, you can power both the fridge and a window AC in one room so that you can sleep without sweating your butt off. Its in the high 90°s here today.

We don't have natural gas in my neighborhood, and a 200 lb in ground tank of LP will only run those whole home systems for a day or two. I would love to put in a diesel generator at the house, but Damn! they are expensive. I would need at least a 15KW to run the central AC, and a 25kw to run AC and Hot Water heater.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have a 16kw LP generator and my 500 gallon tank lasted 22 days before refill. I had it for Katrina.:)
Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
As they talk about recovery no one talks about replacing all the spoiled food. Both in the homes and in the grocery store systems across the state. There is a lot of food that will need to be replaced.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
NOAA.gov now has aerial, not sat, pics of key west and some other parts of the keys.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
I have a 16kw LP generator and my 500 gallon tank lasted 22 days before refill. I had it for Katrina.:)
Jim...
Great to hear. Were you running central air, and electric hot water heater? My hot water heater alone has two 5000 Watt elements, plus a 4 ton AC unit.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Were you running central air, and electric hot water heater?
Only because I had to install it 24 hours after Katrina hit, I used my pool pump 40 amp circuit to "back feed" my isolated from City, main Breaker panel... The 75 amp generator can run 3 ton AC if wiring is right.
NO.

I ran 3 refrig/freezers, 3 window AC units, total house power, including Microwaves, area fans.
My water heat, grill, stove and oven are propane.;)

I eventually let 2 neighbors use extension cords to run their refrigerators.

Here is the key...
The idle speed for the LPG motor/generator is about 20% of available power. Coining the phrase..
If you don't use it, you lose it...

Power Companies understand this and just about give away Night time lighting power.
My 500 gallon buried tank, can only be filled with 380 gallons of LPG.

380 gal/22 days = 17 gallons per day or using some, mad scientist conversions, I used about 12 Amps [120VAC] per hour on average per day. I had refugees too, all slept comfortably under AC with area fans.

I have since built homes/businesses with proper wiring and City Power Disconnects. If designed properly, you can survive very well on 8kw generators. Last one I did that size cost the owner ≈$3,000 , turn key with automatic start and system check every Friday afternoon at 3pm.:clap:
The have automatic switching to internal power in less the 10 microseconds.
Jim...

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I had saved this rather remarkable forecast for Miami FL a few days before Irma came through. Fortunately we all heard lots of good news after.

miami_FL_hurricane_irma.jpg