Hurricane Irma & TS Lidia

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Finished with boat prep but not hopeful it will survive. There are too many snowbird boats not prepped at all. After seeing what a cat 4 can do there is no way my boat will make it through a cat 5. Wife and 96 year old mother are bugging out. We did Charley not going to do Irma. Good luck to all.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Wife and 96 year old mother are bugging out.
Good to hear. What are your options for a haul and block? Pretty much everything down that way is low. Still have a few days. Good luck, stay safe.
Just heard from kin in Naples are - they are headed for the Georgia hills with the kids and pets.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Taking off Friday morning for the 14 hour drive to the boat in P-cola. I need to take down the sails and bimini and maybe the solar panels, too, this time. The boat is storm ready for a squall line or a microburst but nowhere near ready for the edge of a Cat 4. It looks like the eye will pass to the east of my boat but the tropical storm winds extend too far out to ignore.

Sep 2, 2017
Kenner Kittiwake Savannah, Ga.
My boat is tied down to it's trailer while I do touchups, is there anything else I should do to prepare?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
How about putting a tarp in the cockpit and flood it to weight down the boat?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I was thinking about sledgehammering some 2x4 stakes into the ground, and "mooring" to them. Maybe even take the wheels off the trailer, if things look ugly enough.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I was thinking about sledgehammering some 2x4 stakes into the ground, and "mooring" to them. Maybe even take the wheels off the trailer, if things look ugly enough.
If you think the weather is ugly, you should see the dancing girls!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
One casualty in Bahia San Carlos due to Lidia.
20170904_131555 - Copy.jpg
Met the owner while he was starting his salvage ops, said he was on his brand-new mooring. Three 5/8ths 3 strand mooring lines were sawn through. Guess his chafe gear wasn't up to snuff, and he wasn't aboard at the time.
He was pretty philosophical about "$40,000.00 down the tubes".

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
his chafe gear wasn't up to snuff
I bought for $10 from local Rental Equipment Store, a used 2.5" x 50' fire hose. I have cut out 4' pieces to run my lines through, using the heavy duty fire hose as the chafe guard [uninstalled but ready;)]
______
As of noon today EST, this is NOAA five day forecast that has shifted a bit eastward versus post #14...
5dayfcst_wbg_conus-2.gif

This is what @Gunni said in his post #11 last Sunday. Irma will run into the 100 mph East bound Jet stream, a little late for Florida, but the driver for the North turn.

conus.jpg.gif

Good Luck to all!
Jim...

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Looking worse, and I cant cross tie and block my canal until Friday

11L_tracks_latest 9-6-17.png

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Here In the north east I have tied pieces of carpet between old car tires to both sides the hull as fenders. The tires are placed the full length of the boat with out any gaps between the tires. Then placed one tire tube fully inflated under an old truck tire, then place both over the top of the piling as a heavy duty fender. Also added more dock lines and adjusted them for storm surge along with removed all sails and anything to reduce effects of wind.

We also hooked up 2 additional temporary bilge pumps to two separate batteries and suspended the batteries high from the ceiling in case of a hull breach. My thoughts are if the main battery shorts out I have 2 back up pumps. Note I used smooth hose instead of currugated hose, this increases flow rate.

Weathered quite a few storms this way and so far have been quite lucky, just had to remove a few black marks from hull.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Then placed one tire tube fully inflated under an old truck tire, then place both over the top of the piling as a heavy duty fender.
Hmmmm very clever. A Floating piling fender!

I assume the line allowance for the Storm surge will not put your hull over the top of the piling. Making the piling a spear.

Sounds like your boat has, the padding like on a boxing sparing partner. Taking most of the punches.
Good luck...
Jim...

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
In prep for Sandy (here up North) I strapped 4" x 4" x 12' (4 of them) to the pilings at my dock. Strapped them using racheting straps and tied them together with rope. Covered them in carpet. They were very secure and would not move. These guys kept my boat (C30) from coming over the dock during the wind and storm surge. Saved my boat.