Hurricane Florence

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
New Bern stinks literally.
It was MONTHS after Katrina before the rotting sea life in the mud was cleaned away. Plankton, algae, and the likes begin to smell badly. If you get that mud on you, I suggest you wash off with diluted Lysol then bathe. Hydrogen Peroxide is good too.

Anecdote: A small dead shark was found in one flooded home. My friend said if he would have stayed and survived Katrina, the shark would have eaten him, with his luck.

Jim...

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
After Irene I was unable to retrieve two anchors. They were buried so deep I'd need a barge and crane to pull them up.
Sounds like you’ve got the beginnings of a great buoy system! A couple of floats and you are all set.

Glad you and the boat are ok.

My apologies to those who don’t use humor to deal with tragedy.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Another photo from our marina at cherry point. How the heck to get it off the dock?
tapatalk_1537184707939.jpeg

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
How the heck to get it off the dock?
Amazing. A bit of an engineering nightmare, but I think it could be done. Levers, lines, block and tackles and judicious cribbing.
Not saying we won't get our hair mussed.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Wow... from the picture it looks like it might have gently settled down on the pylons in a pattern almost like you would use for stands and the keel is nicely blocked off on the dock. If that is the case, then this has to be one of the most amazing "saves" ever. Can you get a crane down to the dock?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
@Kermit ... That is in Teacher years. I think 3rd grade teachers age 12 years for every year they work. I think that is why they have to move them to other grades after a couple of years.
They moved me to 4th grade 3 years after starting 3rd grade. Maybe there’s some truth to what you say.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't know but it would likely be a crane on a barge. I don't know if that situation can be stabilized long enough for that to happen. Could the floating dock holding the keel be sunk? Pile a bunch of weight on it? Worst case is the hull falls off the poles and takes out a few floating docks. The boat is totaled but prolly cheaper than the salvage. Sometimes the boat doesn't survive the storm.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Wow - Odds of that have to be astronomical! I don't see anything supporting the starboard side. Almost like dropping a coin and it balancing on its edge by itself. If I were the owner I'd get some taught lines on those port cleats to something sturdy to keep her from toppling over to starboard in a breeze, especially since that is a fin keel. I think you'd have a hard time setting it down on purpose with a crane or lift and have it standing like that. That's one for the books.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
May as well paint the bottom while it’s up there.
My first thought too but his bottom looks pretty good, think he'd let us know what kind of bottom pain he has on there and how long its been on!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
DSCN0379.JPG DSCN0381.JPG DSCN0258.JPG
Another photo from our marina at cherry point. How the heck to get it off the dock?View attachment 156436
Not a problem. Believe me, there will be several salvage operations that will be in the area soon , like in a day or two. Owner needs to take photos and forward to the insurance company ASAP. Insurance adjuster and an independent surveyor should inspect before it is moved to document any existing damage. If the hull integrity is such that no leaks will occur, a salvage crane on a barge will simply put the boat back in the water under the insurance company's directive; the insurance company pays for this service. If the hull integrity is compromised, as in holed, it will be lifted and placed on a barge. The barge will be off loaded near the marina ( not necessarily in a boatyard) and blocked. Depending if the boat will be salvaged for the insured value or repaired will dictate the disposition. If salvaged, it will be transported by truck to a designated salvage yard, where it will be auctioned for sale. If its going to be repaired, it will be trucked to a boat yard. I think that it is critical to get an independent survey, before it is moved, because you need the information to decide if you want to push the insurance company to salvage for the insured value vs repair.
I am going to attempt to attach a photo of my boat on blocks approximately 4 weeks after Katrina; my neighbor's Beneteau is on a flatbed waiting to be shipped to the salvage yard. This temporary holding area was approximately 150 yards from the marina in a vacant lot. The mast to the right of my boat in the slip was my neighbor's Beneteau that sunk. As you can see in the photos, I pushed the insurance company to salvage my boat and they agreed before it was removed from the slip and blocked. After signing the title over to the insurance company and a few insurance papers, I had a check for the insured value less deductible within 5-6 weeks after the storm. It took a few weeks for the adjuster to arrive because of the extent of destruction; first in South Florida, then LA, MS, and AL.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Believe me, there will be several salvage operations that will be in the area soon , like in a day or two.
:plus::plus:
One outfit had these "Sausage Link" shaped inflatable tires. Many lengths and diameters.
The "inflatables" would inserted under the Item to be lifted.
They could lift a house/item in such a "controlled manner" that no structural damage would occur.
Once secure on the inflatables, they could move the item without a crane.
Amazing equipment.

Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Is he sucking it up or sniffing it? Difficult to tell with a frog.