Hunter P 42 Topping Lift Length

Sep 14, 2004
Hunter 42 Deltaville VA
My manual for the 1997 P 42 says the topping lift is 60 feet long. This cannot be correct, since the line runs up the mast before coming down to the boom. Does anyone know the correct length? Mine needs replacing. Thanks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@BBC16385 This is an excellent math question. Your boom and the mast form a perfect Right angle triangle.
You need the height and the hypotenuse of the triangle plus a bit to tie it off on the mast. Or if your line runs to the cockpit you need to add enough to run from the mast base to the cockpit.

How tall is your mast? Do you have a cockpit controlled Topping lift? 60 feet may be a bit short depending on how you control your boat.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
You can closely calculate the length using the Pythagorean Theorem which describes the relationship between the sides of a right triangle. It states that for any right triangle with sides of length a and b, and hypotenuse of length c, a2 + b2 = c2. For my Hunter 46 with a P=51.42' and E= 18' c = square root of (P squared + E squared) = 54.8'. Then the topping lift length = c + P = 54.5' + 51.4' = 105.9 feet. This compares to the 46 manual that specifies 108 feet.

upload_2019-6-14_7-2-49.png

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Terry, since "Length Matters" - How long is it? How much line did you need to run the topping lift from the boom to the top of the mast and back to the cockpit?

Sep 14, 2004
Hunter 42 Deltaville VA
Stephen
I know the Scarecrow got the Pythagorean Theorem wrong in the Wizard of Oz, so I am assuming your's is correct. My E is 16 and P is 48. My missing side is 50.5. So I need 98.5 feet. I will make it an even 100 just in case. Correct?
Thanks!

Scarecrow:

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Terry, since "Length Matters" - How long is it? How much line did you need to run the topping lift from the boom to the top of the mast and back to the cockpit?
No clew. Used the original topping lift line, which was plenty long. Just swapped the ends. The mast is a shade over 60 feet, so double that should be ample. Keep in mind the original P42 layout has a Dutchman system, so the topping lift line went from the cockpit, through the sheet stoppers and organizers, up the mast and then about five feet from the mast head to the separate upper double Dutchman lines.

Dec 25, 2000
Our 1991 P42 Isomat mast is likely a model NG-70 according to Rigrite, which is 50', 10" long. Given that the double Dutchman lines extend from the end of the boom to within about five feet of the mast head, where I connected the two via a bowline knot rather than a shackle, makes them about 60 feet long. These lines are separate from the actual topic lift line. The topping lift line needs to be long enough to extend through the mast (51'), plus six feet to connect to the double Dutchman lines, and another 51' in order to drop the Dutchman lines down to boom level for any kind of adjustment or repair. Then another twenty feet to run from the mast base through the organizers, sheet stoppers and into the cockpit for winch work.

The above assumes that the OP's 1997 P42 came with a Dutchman flaking system. If not, then the length needs to take that into consideration. Either way, it seems to me that 120 feet should be long enough, in my estimation. Perhaps the OP could shed a few more specifics about how his setup is configured.

If I can remember (difficult these days), I can measure ours when I travel to the boat next weekend. That way I can be more specific about the length on our boat. In the meantime perhaps the OP can give a few more details about his arrangement.

Sep 14, 2004
Hunter 42 Deltaville VA
No clew. Used the original topping lift line, which was plenty long. Just swapped the ends. The mast is a shade over 60 feet, so double that should be ample. Keep in mind the original P42 layout has a Dutchman system, so the topping lift line went from the cockpit, through the sheet stoppers and organizers, up the mast and then about five feet from the mast head to the separate upper double Dutchman lines.
Terry
Ours was an early, maybe the first, one with mainsail furling with ZSpar. (Manufactured in September 1996). So I was thinking maybe the manual was referring to the length of the old set up line. But 60 feet? That makes no sense either way.

Dec 25, 2000
So I need 98.5 feet. I will make it an even 100 just in case. Correct?
It appears from your additional details that your topping lift is one single line that secures at the end of the boom, extends to the mast head through a sheave, then down the mast where any trim adjustment can be made at the mast, boom level, rather than the cockpit? Or does it extend into the cockpit, through the deck organizer, sheet stopper and winch for trim control? Depending upon which, if the latter, 100' would seem too short, IMHO. If the working end extends from the mast base and into the cockpit, that will take another ten feet minimum. Another ten feet just for grins would buffer any error margin.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'm surprised no one suggested hoisting a measuring tape on the main halyard, measure to the end of the boom, then to the foot of the mast then on to the cockpit as needed. Or, do the same with a string then measure THAT.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
BBC16385,
Your calculation is correct. Interestingly enough I could not find a manual on your 42. I did find a manual for a Hunter 41 and it called for 108 feet, same as my Hunter 46. I just had my topping lift replaced by my local rigger yesterday. When I get the bill hopefully it will show the length, which should include enough for fabricating an eye at one end.

Dec 25, 2000
Terry Cox: Boom level cleat on the mast is the end point of the topping lift.
Interesting. Hunter rigged our 1991 traditional main with the Dutchman flaking system and the topping lift working end running through the sheet organizer, sheet stopper and into the cockpit. In order to vacate a stopper for the spinnaker halyard, I decided to make the topping lift change.

I'm surprised no one suggested hoisting a measuring tape on the main halyard, measure to the end of the boom, then to the foot of the mast then on to the cockpit as needed. Or, do the same with a string then measure THAT.
Way too scientific, Ron. :doh: