Hunter Owner Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2007
- - -
Don't know about the west coast

but you can sail from Florida to the Bahamas, on to the Caribbean, and down the Leeward/Windward chain all the way to So. America and never be 24 hrs. at sea. In my opinion just about any Good Condition cruiser class boat is capable of this kind of sailing including Hunters - you will find them all over the Caribbean. Pick the boat that you will be most comfortable living on and go slow - there is no good reason to sail these waters unless you are going to do so slowly and leisurely. 1. Longest passage ('83 H34) - 23 hrs. from Provindenciales, T&C to Luperon, DR. I don't really like over-night sailing, but this trip was delightful although slow. 2. Worst conditions in a Hunter('83 H34). I have sailed a close reach in 8-10 foot seas and up to 30 knt. winds - lots of bashing and not fun, but it was only for a few hours (Culebra to St. Thomas) and the boat did fine. By far the worst ever was 20 knt. winds and 4 foot, breaking, short period, confused waves off Montauk Point Long Island. At one time we had waves breaking on the starboard bow and the port quarter at the same time. The boat cork-screwed through just fine, but the crew was badly shaken. Nothing broke, but I enlarged the cockpit drains after that one.

Mar 13, 2007
- - -

but you can sail from Florida to the Bahamas, on to the Caribbean, and down the Leeward/Windward chain all the way to So. America and never be 24 hrs. at sea. In my opinion just about any Good Condition cruiser class boat is capable of this kind of sailing including Hunters - you will find them all over the Caribbean. Pick the boat that you will be most comfortable living on and go slow - there is no good reason to sail these waters unless you are going to do so slowly and leisurely. 1. Longest passage ('83 H34) - 23 hrs. from Provindenciales, T&C to Luperon, DR. I don't really like over-night sailing, but this trip was delightful although slow. 2. Worst conditions in a Hunter('83 H34). I have sailed a close reach in 8-10 foot seas and up to 30 knt. winds - lots of bashing and not fun, but it was only for a few hours (Culebra to St. Thomas) and the boat did fine. By far the worst ever was 20 knt. winds and 4 foot, breaking, short period, confused waves off Montauk Point Long Island. At one time we had waves breaking on the starboard bow and the port quarter at the same time. The boat cork-screwed through just fine, but the crew was badly shaken. Nothing broke, but I enlarged the cockpit drains after that one.

Mar 13, 2007
- - -

Mar 13, 2007
- - -

M

Mike

Love my Hunter

Ok, so I only sail Lake Michigan on my 2006 Hunter 33. But I have been out in 10 footers, 30 knot winds for 23 miles and the boat handled flawlessly. Nothing broke, averaged 7.3 knots with a little reef in both sails and the crew was not beat up. Have also been caught in a couple of nasty 'pop up' storms. I have hit 8 knots on a broad reach with 20 knot winds under full control. So...quit bashing the Hunters. I also weekend on the boat every weekend. I logged 93 sails in all kinds of conditions this past summer, including several single-handed sails, and have never been out of control.

M

Mike

Love my Hunter

Ok, so I only sail Lake Michigan on my 2006 Hunter 33. But I have been out in 10 footers, 30 knot winds for 23 miles and the boat handled flawlessly. Nothing broke, averaged 7.3 knots with a little reef in both sails and the crew was not beat up. Have also been caught in a couple of nasty 'pop up' storms. I have hit 8 knots on a broad reach with 20 knot winds under full control. So...quit bashing the Hunters. I also weekend on the boat every weekend. I logged 93 sails in all kinds of conditions this past summer, including several single-handed sails, and have never been out of control.

M

Mike

Love my Hunter

M

Mike

Love my Hunter

Oct 14, 2007
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
first trip in my 84 Hunter 34

Well, I'm not a seasoned sailor by any means. My wife and I searched and researched the whole range of boats. We originally planned to spend about $150,000 on a "blue water cruiser". Guess what, we ended up with a well cared for 1984 Hunter 34! And WE LOVE IT. Would we head out on a circumnavigation on it? Heck NO! We have no desire to circumnavigate. Are we tickled to have a production coastal cruiser for 1/5th the intial expense (we plan to add some items and update others). Heck yes! We spent a tiny percent of our original prediction which leaves a nice little cruising kitty. Our plans are to do the great loop with temporary (a couple of years) stops in the Bahamas or maybe further south. Whatever tickles our fancy at the time. We even plan on flying home when the urge hits. A lot of people questioned the Hunter decision but a bunch of true cruisers gave me a "thumbs up". In fact, one sailor who owns a "world cruiser" type sailboat told me he wishes he had gone our route instead of going deep into his discretionary funds to purchase his boat. His boat is beautiful and well made but is way more boat than he needs for his carribean sailing plans. In fact, he will not be heading out for some time because he needs to replenish his bank account.

Oct 14, 2007
Hunter 34 Milwaukee

Well, I'm not a seasoned sailor by any means. My wife and I searched and researched the whole range of boats. We originally planned to spend about $150,000 on a "blue water cruiser". Guess what, we ended up with a well cared for 1984 Hunter 34! And WE LOVE IT. Would we head out on a circumnavigation on it? Heck NO! We have no desire to circumnavigate. Are we tickled to have a production coastal cruiser for 1/5th the intial expense (we plan to add some items and update others). Heck yes! We spent a tiny percent of our original prediction which leaves a nice little cruising kitty. Our plans are to do the great loop with temporary (a couple of years) stops in the Bahamas or maybe further south. Whatever tickles our fancy at the time. We even plan on flying home when the urge hits. A lot of people questioned the Hunter decision but a bunch of true cruisers gave me a "thumbs up". In fact, one sailor who owns a "world cruiser" type sailboat told me he wishes he had gone our route instead of going deep into his discretionary funds to purchase his boat. His boat is beautiful and well made but is way more boat than he needs for his carribean sailing plans. In fact, he will not be heading out for some time because he needs to replenish his bank account.

Oct 14, 2007
Hunter 34 Milwaukee

Oct 14, 2007
Hunter 34 Milwaukee

Oct 14, 2007
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
forgot to add

Our first trip in our Hunter was my son-in-law and I sailing her home from Gibralter Michigan to Milwaukee. 560 miles in 5 days! Yep two guys motoring/sailing 24hrs/day. We had mostly great conditions but did manage a stretch of 25kt winds with confused seas(well actually lake waves) of 6-8 ft.. Contrary to some opinions, we didn't sink, the hull didn't separate from the deck, our rigging didn't self destruct, and we didn't turn turtle. I guess we were really lucky because so many Hunters are supposed to have SUNK in similar conditions.

Oct 14, 2007
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
forgot to add

Our first trip in our Hunter was my son-in-law and I sailing her home from Gibralter Michigan to Milwaukee. 560 miles in 5 days! Yep two guys motoring/sailing 24hrs/day. We had mostly great conditions but did manage a stretch of 25kt winds with confused seas(well actually lake waves) of 6-8 ft.. Contrary to some opinions, we didn't sink, the hull didn't separate from the deck, our rigging didn't self destruct, and we didn't turn turtle. I guess we were really lucky because so many Hunters are supposed to have SUNK in similar conditions.

Oct 14, 2007
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
forgot to add

Oct 14, 2007
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
forgot to add

R

Randy Jarrell

Hunter Survey

I have made several off shore passages in my '96 H37.5 in good weather as well as bad. I have sailed throughout the Bahamas, the west coast of Florida, the Keys and into the Chesapeak. Most of my passages were 2 to 3 days and the longest 5 days from Florida to Norfolk. During this last passage we had favorable conditions the first two days and then the weather worsened. At the farthest point we were 40 miles offshore in 8 to 11 ft seas (reported by NOAA) and 30 to 35Kt winds (actual). Rounded Cape Hatteras on the 4th day in worsening conditions. On the 5th day weather improved and we made a successful approach into Norfolk. The boat handled all conditions very well. The boat did exhibit some poor handling in seas on the quarter beam with gusting winds. It had a tendency to turn up into the waves as we sailed down the backside and then weathervane into the gusts on the opposite side. Did this trip with a crew of two and no autopilot. Needless to say we were pretty tired upon arrival. Would not hesitate to do it again. Autopilot is on the "buy list."

R

Randy Jarrell

Hunter Survey

I have made several off shore passages in my '96 H37.5 in good weather as well as bad. I have sailed throughout the Bahamas, the west coast of Florida, the Keys and into the Chesapeak. Most of my passages were 2 to 3 days and the longest 5 days from Florida to Norfolk. During this last passage we had favorable conditions the first two days and then the weather worsened. At the farthest point we were 40 miles offshore in 8 to 11 ft seas (reported by NOAA) and 30 to 35Kt winds (actual). Rounded Cape Hatteras on the 4th day in worsening conditions. On the 5th day weather improved and we made a successful approach into Norfolk. The boat handled all conditions very well. The boat did exhibit some poor handling in seas on the quarter beam with gusting winds. It had a tendency to turn up into the waves as we sailed down the backside and then weathervane into the gusts on the opposite side. Did this trip with a crew of two and no autopilot. Needless to say we were pretty tired upon arrival. Would not hesitate to do it again. Autopilot is on the "buy list."

R

Randy Jarrell

Hunter Survey

R

Randy Jarrell

Hunter Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.