Hunter Owner Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason

As many of you know, we are looking into the Hunter line of sailboats for our next boat to cruise the Caribbean. Many naysayers and Hunter bashers say that Hunters are only used as "Dockominiums" and are not worthy to be cruising boats. So I am curious what the real truth is... as I feel that they would be a great boat to cruise on and seem to be built solid enough to handle most situations. 1. What was your longest passage you have made in a Hunter? Any Problems? And what year and model of Hunter? 2. What is the worst weather you have experienced in a hunter (wind speed and wave height)? Did anything break or need improvement? And what year and model of Hunter?

J

Jason

As many of you know, we are looking into the Hunter line of sailboats for our next boat to cruise the Caribbean. Many naysayers and Hunter bashers say that Hunters are only used as "Dockominiums" and are not worthy to be cruising boats. So I am curious what the real truth is... as I feel that they would be a great boat to cruise on and seem to be built solid enough to handle most situations. 1. What was your longest passage you have made in a Hunter? Any Problems? And what year and model of Hunter? 2. What is the worst weather you have experienced in a hunter (wind speed and wave height)? Did anything break or need improvement? And what year and model of Hunter?

J

Jason

J

Jason

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Hunter Bashers are Always Naysayers

I don't know why, but for some reason they are. I have an acquaintance who was one until she bought one (got a good deal). I think their mind is changed. I have always had one (Legend 37) since I first had a Catalina 25 for 4 years. And won't go back after 15 years with my Hunter. I say the heck with those bashers - let them eventually find out for themselves. There are many Hunters that have made long pasages. The most I have done is 200 miles at a time. But I do spend about 20-25 nights per season on mine during weekend trips/vacations.

Dec 3, 2003

I don't know why, but for some reason they are. I have an acquaintance who was one until she bought one (got a good deal). I think their mind is changed. I have always had one (Legend 37) since I first had a Catalina 25 for 4 years. And won't go back after 15 years with my Hunter. I say the heck with those bashers - let them eventually find out for themselves. There are many Hunters that have made long pasages. The most I have done is 200 miles at a time. But I do spend about 20-25 nights per season on mine during weekend trips/vacations.

Dec 3, 2003

Dec 3, 2003

Jul 3, 2006
Wildschut skûtsje Carcassonne
I see three types of Hunter Basher...

COMPETITOR: In the first category are the jealous competitors who are trying to justify why it costs so much more for them to build their boats. TRADITIONALIST: The second category of basher consists of those who own or aspire to own an aged offshore sailboat that was on the old "list of suitable offshore boats". This type of basher seems to ignore the advances there have been in yacht design and construction in the decades since their full-keel, heavy-displacement, cramped-accommodation wallowers were designed and built. Their bashing is likely a face-saving attempt to explain to themselves why their sailing is so uncomfortable. MIS-GUIDED REGURGITATOR: The third type of basher is the one who repeats, without any personal experience, the blatherings of those in the first two categories.

Jul 3, 2006

COMPETITOR: In the first category are the jealous competitors who are trying to justify why it costs so much more for them to build their boats. TRADITIONALIST: The second category of basher consists of those who own or aspire to own an aged offshore sailboat that was on the old "list of suitable offshore boats". This type of basher seems to ignore the advances there have been in yacht design and construction in the decades since their full-keel, heavy-displacement, cramped-accommodation wallowers were designed and built. Their bashing is likely a face-saving attempt to explain to themselves why their sailing is so uncomfortable. MIS-GUIDED REGURGITATOR: The third type of basher is the one who repeats, without any personal experience, the blatherings of those in the first two categories.

Jul 3, 2006

Jul 3, 2006

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Hunters offshore

We need to explain to all the cruisers currently travelling throughout the world on their Hunters that they should all be ashamed of themselves for having survived. Obviously, they didn't know as much as the critics... When we were in Bermuda last year, I counted 4 Hunters in (one portion of)Hamilton Harbor - guess they must have been trucked there.

Sep 25, 2008
Hunters offshore

We need to explain to all the cruisers currently travelling throughout the world on their Hunters that they should all be ashamed of themselves for having survived. Obviously, they didn't know as much as the critics... When we were in Bermuda last year, I counted 4 Hunters in (one portion of)Hamilton Harbor - guess they must have been trucked there.

Sep 25, 2008
Hunters offshore

Sep 25, 2008
Hunters offshore

Status
Not open for further replies.