Hunter Legend 37.5 vs newer 36

SLE

Nov 13, 2017
Hunter 36 Lake Champlain
I visited some boats today. Usage will be Bahamas for winters and the yard for summer. 2 persons aboard, cruising, no regata, as long as it is the same speed compared with similar size sailboat.

For the same price and same equipments, witch would you choose:

A 1991 Legend 37.5: longer, faster, classic look, more hours on engine (2500) and on sails.

A 2004 Legend 36: modern design, low hours (350), furling main, large and wide cockpit.

13 years appart, same price, would you get the bigger boat? The newer one?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I race against a couple 37.5's and sailed a 36 for several years. The 37.5 can be faster and is better looking IMO. But, the cockpit and cabin layout of the much newer 36 puts it over the top for me on comfort, reliability, ease of sail handling, and probably way less time and money spent on maintenance and repair at the same price, considering you're probably mostly cruising. If there was a big price difference, then maybe different story. And the 36 is not a slouch in looks and speed.

SLE

Nov 13, 2017
Hunter 36 Lake Champlain
Thanks Bill.
Yes only cruising, no racing. I have to say that the 36 has an amazing cockpit with a huge lazarette, the fridg does not make sense to me and I prefer a full batten main, but SHE prefer the newer boat and you know what they say...

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
For what it's worth I'd look at the newer one as long as condition was equal or better.

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have owned my H-36 since brand new and love it and even won a few races but the best thing newer less repairs less $$$$$ fixing less upgrading a no brained.
Nick

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Thanks Bill.
Yes only cruising, no racing. I have to say that the 36 has an amazing cockpit with a huge lazarette, the fridg does not make sense to me and I prefer a full batten main, but SHE prefer the newer boat and you know what they say...
Whenever we’re looking at other boats, my girlfriend wants to know if it has a fridge like the 36 we sailed, she loved it. At 5’1”, she has trouble reaching things in the top loader behind the sink in our boat. She doesn’t understand the laws of thermodynamics and the extra power demands of a fridge with a big front opening door. She just wants to be able to reach the wine when she wants a glass.
And I remember the 37.5 I looked at to have quite a long ladder into the cabin from the cockpit, seemed it might be a little treacherous in a seaway.

Last edited: