Hunter (e)33 - Issues, Concerns and Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
problem with lifelines:

I am unable to have the snap shackle close with a click (the part of line by the cockpit for boarding) unless the whole lifeline is loose.

I have spent an hour playing with the turnbuckle at the bow and the only way I can get the snap shackle to to close well is to keep the whole line looser than I want.

Anyone else have this problem, and any solution to it?
Yes there has to be some but not a lot of slack in the gate (life line) in order for the pelican hook to latch. I am still not sure if you are having problems latching the pelican hooks on all 4 our your gates or just 1. If you back off the locking nut, the pelican hooks can then be turned to lengthen the line. I measured yesterday and the length of thread on the upper (large) pelican hook is about 2 3/4" and 1 1/2" on the lower (smaller) . On my boat there is enough thread on all the pelican hooks to back off (lengthen) it about 3/4". If you could provide a picture of where the problem exists, maybe a solution could be found.

jbinbi

Apr 17, 2013
hunter 33 MA
Hi H33 owners. I need some advice.

I had a Raymarine windvane installed before my mast was stepped this year. The cable is at the base of the mast going into a small junction box. An i60 was installed at the helm.

All I need to do is run the wire from the junction box to the i60 display.

Any suggestion how to run the cable? (preferably without having to remove the liners)
I think that the cable to the display comes up from behind the owners berth thru the pedestal. You can remove the section to get to the aft section and see this. So you need to get the cable from the mast to there. I have only had my boat for 2 weeks, so I haven't seen how my wind instrument is routed, but I would think port side? I will see if I can check this weekend.

Also, if you purchased from a dealer, you can ask how they normally route this cable. Sorry for a mushy answer.

jbinbi

Apr 17, 2013
hunter 33 MA
Yes there has to be some but not a lot of slack in the gate (life line) in order for the pelican hook to latch. I am still not sure if you are having problems latching the pelican hooks on all 4 our your gates or just 1. If you back off the locking nut, the pelican hooks can then be turned to lengthen the line. I measured yesterday and the length of thread on the upper (large) pelican hook is about 2 3/4" and 1 1/2" on the lower (smaller) . On my boat there is enough thread on all the pelican hooks to back off (lengthen) it about 3/4". If you could provide a picture of where the problem exists, maybe a solution could be found.
Yes. All 4. I have slackened the pelican hooks line by loosening on their own thread. However, I have to have the lifelines looser than they should be. but I am at the end. I think that section of the lifeline is about .5" too short. I would like to have the lifelines from the bow to the midship tight. I will measure and take pics this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Second question: Does the hatch in the owners stateroom that leads to the cockpit have either a screen or cover. This lets in too much light. It looks like their is an insert, but I can't find anything from the previous owner.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Good. When you get the measurements and pics send them along. I also have measured my gates and the distance between the arch loops and the stanchions the gates are connected to.

As for the aft cabin hatch, there is a screen only. I often wondered why there was not a screen and blind like on the other 3 hatches.

Apr 16, 2012
Hunter e33 Newport Yacht Club - Stoney Creek,ON
Running a Windvane cable - update

Hi H33 owners. I need some advice.

I had a Raymarine windvane installed before my mast was stepped this year. The cable is at the base of the mast going into a small junction box. An i60 was installed at the helm.

All I need to do is run the wire from the junction box to the i60 display.

Any suggestion how to run the cable? (preferably without having to remove the liners)

Update:
Last night I spent a few hours routing the wind vane cable from the base of the mast to approximately where the electrical panels are located.

My issue was that I did not want to remove the head liners to feed the cable, but after much investigation, I saw no other choice. The dealer told me that removing the liners is easy, getting them back without damaging them is tricky without the right tools.

In the end, with the help of a metal coat hanger (reshaped to serve a new purpose) I fed the cable from the base of the mast to the starboard side where the radio speaker is located. I ran a metal "fish line" from inside the electrical panel to the corner where the speaker is mounted. From there I was able to pull the cable back into the electrical panel area.

(Sound easy, but this took about 4 hours to figure out and execute.)
All of this is certainly no easy task because there is all kind of bends and obstructions hidden behind the ceiling liner. There is very little room between the liner and the underside of the fiberglass deck.

Running the cable further aft will be much easier as there is a nice clear opening where many other cables are going to the rear of the boat. Just need to use the fish line again and pull the cable back.

(I'm sure when someone from Hunter reads this, they will laugh because they know that there is a much easier way.)

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I just pulled down my liner last weekend and reinstalled. Used a 1 1/2" plastic scaper and rounded out corners with some sandpaper. Was easy once I got the hang of it. Installed a clutch for vang on coach roof above aft cabin and installed a ST60 wind repeater above companionway.

My 33 has a 1 1/2" pvc conduit from above the electrical panel back to space above the holding tank, in space behind aft cabin. I'm sure it is for running cables and is brilliant on Hunters behalf. I ran a cable from GPS in pedestal to VHF at electrical panel for DSC.

Apr 16, 2012
Hunter e33 Newport Yacht Club - Stoney Creek,ON
I just pulled down my liner last weekend and reinstalled. Used a 1 1/2" plastic scaper and rounded out corners with some sandpaper. Was easy once I got the hang of it. Installed a clutch for vang on coach roof above aft cabin and installed a ST60 wind repeater above companionway.

My 33 has a 1 1/2" pvc conduit from above the electrical panel back to space above the holding tank, in space behind aft cabin. I'm sure it is for running cables and is brilliant on Hunters behalf. I ran a cable from GPS in pedestal to VHF at electrical panel for DSC.
Thanks Scott, I was also told by the dealer that there was a pvc pipe, until we all found out that Hunter does not install that in the new e33. However, I did find a pvc pipe under the sole. Actually, it even under the fiber glass grid. I can see the beginning of it from the area where the depth transducer is. (through the 1" drain hole) Nothing is running through it and I have no idea where it ends. (need one of those bore scopes to find out.)

In the meantime, I have run the cable above the liner to the point where I can finish the job.

Thanks again and thanks for the idea of the scraper. Certainly will come in handy next time.

Sep 20, 2006
problem with lifelines:

I am unable to have the snap shackle close with a click (the part of line by the cockpit for boarding) unless the whole lifeline is loose.

I have spent an hour playing with the turnbuckle at the bow and the only way I can get the snap shackle to to close well is to keep the whole line looser than I want.

Anyone else have this problem, and any solution to it?
I just had a good look at mine over the weekend and if set up the same the gate should be separate from the rest of the lines. There should be a stop on the end of the lifeline just inside the gate. Undo the gate lines and set the lifelines to where you want them for tension. Then set the gate lines so the pelican hooks will release easily.

jbinbi

Apr 17, 2013
hunter 33 MA
Anyone replace their joker valve yet. I just did this, and the hole thru the 'floor' for the flextube pipe that leads out and to the tank in my boat is really poorly located. The pipe and clamp fitting are right against the right edge and it is almost impossible to connect both sides of the fitting that valve goes between. Unless you have replaced the joker valve, this hard to imagine without doing it or a diagram. I am going to enlarge this hole.

jbinbi

Apr 17, 2013
hunter 33 MA
has anybody winterized their boat themselves and bypasses the hotwater tank. I am trying to figure out how to make a connection between cold water in lineand hot water line. I disconnected from the temp valve, but it looks like non standard size fittings.

Sep 20, 2006
What type of fittings are on your water lines. Are they still the black Quick Connect?

Status
Not open for further replies.