Hunter (e)33 - Issues, Concerns and Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2012
Hunter e33 Newport Yacht Club - Stoney Creek,ON
So far we are happy. Unfortunately, no choice in dealer in our area...just one.
I believe our boat has had very few issues. Just be prepared to do a lot of research yourself and quickly learn do do things yourself.

From the sales point of view, do your home work to determine the bottom line for a dealer. You shouldn't have to pay anywhere near list price. As for the sales experience, I really felt this to be like the used car business. The honeymoon is over very quickly.

I agree about the service. Make lists (email) of everything you come across and keep reminding the service department of things to be done if needed.

GreggL

Mar 1, 2012
Hunter e33 New Rochelle, NY
As a warning to all hunter owners; Marlow hunter is not honoring warranties. Eddie at hunter is helping as best he can and I appreciate that but the above statement was explicitly said. Looks like I'm sh*t out of luck. I have to most likely replace my entire sail drive and transmission unit due to god only knows what. Bought the boat with these issues and they screwed me. Having my attorney look at it all now. Good luck to you all!

DougMc

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36 Erieau Ontario
Have you tried the manufactoring of the defective gear? On my boat Hunter only pressured original maker to replace or repair. You should have a warranty as good or better than Hunters. Unfortunately this will not cover labour.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Warranty

You should have paper work of a list of equipment not made by Hunter.
When my Raymarine Auto stopped working I contacted Ray and sent the unit back to them for repair,when my Lewmar folding wheel was defective I contacted them and they sent me a new wheel,when the Fisher Panda Gen needed work I ccontacted Fisher panda and they had some one do the repair.
So you see if your saildrive has a problem you get touch with the saildrive manufactor for warranty work,Hunter makes the boat and you wouldn't want them to repair your engine,a lot of the hard ware is not made by Hunter and any time I needed a new one I contacted them and usually they did the right thing.
Sorry so much problems with your boat and most likely would not be happy either but understand if Hunter does not make it you need to deal with who ever made that part.
Nick

GreggL

Mar 1, 2012
seadaddler said:
You should have paper work of a list of equipment not made by Hunter.
When my Raymarine Auto stopped working I contacted Ray and sent the unit back to them for repair,when my Lewmar folding wheel was defective I contacted them and they sent me a new wheel,when the Fisher Panda Gen needed work I ccontacted Fisher panda and they had some one do the repair.
So you see if your saildrive has a problem you get touch with the saildrive manufactor for warranty work,Hunter makes the boat and you wouldn't want them to repair your engine,a lot of the hard ware is not made by Hunter and any time I needed a new one I contacted them and usually they did the right thing.
Sorry so much problems with your boat and most likely would not be happy either but understand if Hunter does not make it you need to deal with who ever made that part.
Nick
Yes I have a list, thanks.
Sorry for being vague before as to the issue. I have been in contact with all other manufacturers since day one with every issue.
ZF will not cover this one because they feel its an installation issue that caused the malfunction; hunter on the other hand won't cover it from there. There lies my problem, neither want to take responsibility. So basically I'm screwed.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
So basically I'm screwed.
Well...maybe not. On another forum, I came across a very good idea: send this thread to the vendor(s).

Never know if some REALLY bad publicity would help.

Shout LOUDER.

We really do feel for you, Gregg.

GreggL

Mar 1, 2012
Stu Jackson said:
Well...maybe not. On another forum, I came across a very good idea: send this thread to the vendor(s).

Never know if some REALLY bad publicity would help.

Shout LOUDER.

We really do feel for you, Gregg.
Certainly doing that. Thanks!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Saildrive

I would get Hunters attention and maybe Hunter should not use that saildrive if they are copping out of warranty.
I know some one who borth a new tartan and nothing but problems and so all boat builders have some problems too.
Lets spread the word that that saildrive is bad and don't buy them and when ordering don't order your new boat with that sail drive.
Nick

GreggL

Mar 1, 2012
seadaddler said:
I would get Hunters attention and maybe Hunter should not use that saildrive if they are copping out of warranty.
I know some one who borth a new tartan and nothing but problems and so all boat builders have some problems too.
Lets spread the word that that saildrive is bad and don't buy them and when ordering don't order your new boat with that sail drive.
Nick
I agree. Doing the best I can to spread my issues here and give others a fighting chance. And help my case as well if possible..

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
As a warning to all hunter owners; Marlow hunter is not honoring warranties. Eddie at hunter is helping as best he can and I appreciate that but the above statement was explicitly said. Looks like I'm sh*t out of luck. I have to most likely replace my entire sail drive and transmission unit due to god only knows what. Bought the boat with these issues and they screwed me. Having my attorney look at it all now. Good luck to you all!

My second oil leak seems to be coming from a crack in the sail drive housing unit. ZF is currently looking into the problem.

Gregg, did ZF say what could have caused the crack in the sail drive unit. Do you have any pictures. Do you mean it was installed with a crack in the unit or did it occur afterwards.

GreggL

Mar 1, 2012
Scott B said:
Gregg, did ZF say what could have caused the crack in the sail drive unit. Do you have any pictures. Do you mean it was installed with a crack in the unit or did it occur afterwards.
ZF is sending a surveyor, I have one inspecting as well so we'll find out soon enough. I have documentation of this issue going back to delivery and it has seemed to progress to this bad issue over time due to improper attention from my dealership and service centers.
I'll post some photos and info when I have it hauled and inspected.

GreggL

Mar 1, 2012
Maine Sail said:
Greg,

Please read the Forum Guidelines.
Thanks, and yes I understand that "vendor bashing" isn't allowed on this site. If that is what you were aiming for, I do to think that is what my above quote was meant to do. I have stated specific issues with details and never once made comments on a manufacturers quality, only on their service and support. While I am not trying to bash anybody or anything, it is certainly within my rights here as I've read in the guidelines to speak from my experiences wether bad or good with specific brands; mine just all happen to be bad. Giving opinions from my personal experience and helping others is what this site is all about, please correct me if I am wrong and ill gladly post elsewhere.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Thanks, and yes I understand that "vendor bashing" isn't allowed on this site. If that is what you were aiming for, I do to think that is what my above quote was meant to do. I have stated specific issues with details and never once made comments on a manufacturers quality, only on their service and support. While I am not trying to bash anybody or anything, it is certainly within my rights here as I've read in the guidelines to speak from my experiences wether bad or good with specific brands; mine just all happen to be bad. Giving opinions from my personal experience and helping others is what this site is all about, please correct me if I am wrong and ill gladly post elsewhere.
It was not about vendor bashing this is the part of the guidelines we try to be very careful around...

I agree. Doing the best I can to spread my issues here and give others a fighting chance. And help my case as well if possible..

"Personal Use / Gain From Forums:

The Sailboat Owners family of forums must not be used to settle grudges, personal issues, or disputes between members or with a manufacturer. Using these forums for your own personal gain is grounds for a ban. Using this forum to "leverage" a manufacturer is a violation of forum policy. There are two sides to every story and we do hear from the other side on occasion. Using the forum to apply pressure to a manufacturer is specifically not allowed.
"

GreggL

Mar 1, 2012
Maine Sail said:
It was not about vendor bashing this is the part of the guidelines we try to be very careful around...

"Personal Use / Gain From Forums:

The Sailboat Owners family of forums must not be used to settle grudges, personal issues, or disputes between members or with a manufacturer. Using these forums for your own personal gain is grounds for a ban. Using this forum to "leverage" a manufacturer is a violation of forum policy. There are two sides to every story and we do hear from the other side on occasion. Using the forum to apply pressure to a manufacturer is specifically not allowed."
Certainly was not my intention, nor do I use my expression here in conversations with manufacturers about issues.

GreggL

Mar 1, 2012
ZF has removed my SD10 sail drive unit to inspect the issues I've been facing. They are claiming this unit to be non warrantable due to a number of reasons.

quoted from the report:
" The front of the engine was mounted 23MM too low causing stress on the housing and associated parts. This caused the housing to crack from extreme misalignment. That misalignment also caused the torsional coupling to fail. ZF did not install the unit in this vessel." &. "Marine growth was found in the output seal causing the seal to leak water into the unit. We do not cover marine growth from forming on the lower unit."

Does anyone know who/how these units are installed, hunter, dealer, ZF, etc..?

Also, I notice they are speaking about marine growth in the unit. Per my dealership, and on my dime the vessel had an epoxy barrier coat, paint, zincs, etc. the report stated that there didn't seem to be any anti foul on this unit whatsoever. Is this possible that that was never done and caused this, or could the anti foul have worn off in only a few short months to such an extent that it caused this extent of damage? My dealer responded to this by saying it gets sprayed on, is clear and could wear away easily.. Sounds fishy to me!

Clearly hunter is taking no responsibility, ZF isn't due to the above, my dealer is for all intents and purposes worthless, any ideas on the play here?

Thank you!

Apr 16, 2012
Hi Everyone,

The last entry to this topic was back in August. I guess everyone has been enjoying their boat.

It's the dead of winter and new boat is sitting in it's cradle on the hard. I went to look at her yesterday and noticed crack forming where the cast iron keel is connected to the fiberglass hull. The crack starts at right at the front edge and long both sides of the keel...currently about 4 inches horizontal cracks. Is this normal, what needs to be done?

Another issue. My boat is equipped with a sail drive. There is a rubber membrane around the opening of the hull where the end of the drive leg comes out. The membrane has come loose from the hull. Is this going to be an annual repair?

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Yikes. Sounds like there is a problem but you are looking for someone with more knowledge and experience then I, particularly on a new boat.

My boat was hauled last Wednesday by the dealer in preparation for it to be shown at the local boat show. Unfortunately, I was not there to witness it. They were to paint the bottom and sail drive and change the sail drive oil. I would assume that if the service manager noted anything amiss I would have known by now. I will be viewing our boat out of the water a week from today, so I will have an opportunity to have a look.

From what you wrote I should think that both issues would be covered under warranty the Hunter (for the keel) and ZF (for the sail drive).

How has your dealer been supporting you?

Apr 16, 2012
The dealer has been quite good. They noticed the rubber membrane issues when the boat was hauled and they mentioned that this will be address before launch.

Also, I had an opportunity to meet and talk with Greg Emerson (Director of Sales - Marlow-Hunter) at the Toronto boat show last month. He had asked me to email him a list of concerns and questions I had. I had a good feeling everything will be resolved.

At the time I spoke to Greg, I did not know about the keel issue, so I have emailed him some picture this past weekend. I'm looking forward to his reply. When the boat was hauled last fall, there were not signs of any cracks. A service tech from my dealer went around the boat with me.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.