Hunter (e)33 - Issues, Concerns and Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2012
Hunter e33 Newport Yacht Club - Stoney Creek,ON
Welcome Hunter e33 owners.

The administrator has setup a model catagory - e33. Although this is no longer the official designation for the new 2012 model, I beleive we all know that this is the lastest extended model.

This thread has been started to compile various issues, concerns or solutions you may have for the new 2012 (e)33.

Feel free to share the quirks of your boat. This will give other (e)33 owners a place to look for anything related to this model. Just keep adding your stories.

Let's try to keep all comments, suggestions and/or solutions relevant to the e33 model.

(Note: we have started this new thread, because it's now listed under the e33 model. The older threads were under the 33 model)

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
This is more of a question then an issue or concern... at this time.

When I leave my 2012 Hunter 33 (#23), I always turn the battery switch and DC Mains switch to off. I leave the AC Mains along with the Outlet and Battery Charger switch on at the AC Panel.

I have a Dometic (Waeco) CR-65 front loading refrigerator. The manual states that "all US versions are available in DC/AC version only". Thus, I would expect that as soon as AC is available to the refrigerator it would switch over from 12V DC to AC. Mine does not. When I switch off the DC the refrigerator also turns off. Thus I can only assume that:

1. that my boat (Canadian) is not fitted with a MPS-35 rectifier.
2. It is fitted with a rectifier but not hooked up.
3. A rectifier is hooked up but unserviceable.

Any help as to how other Canadian boats are configured and/or where the rectifier is fitted on US boats would be appreciated.

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
I have an 06 H33 and I am pretty sure the refrigerator (and freezer for that matter) are 12V DC only. The breakers are only on the 12V side of the panel.

I will check for sure next time I am at the boat. I will also check the model of the refrigerator.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Stu,

Last week, during our orientation, I asked the service manager that very question. She was unsure of the answer as my boat was the first of this particular model that she had put through. I didn't press the issue as I figured that I would be able to tell from the manual. To me the manual is clear. If you own an “US version” of the 'fridge it will be AC/DC. Otherwise all models, except one, that Dometic (Waeco) make are only DC. My dilemma is that I don’t know if Canadian Hunters are considered “US versions” or not. I did query GreggL, who has a 2012 H33 (#26), by email and his runs off of both AC and DC. But he lives in the States, I live in Canada. On my AC panel, there is no switch or breaker for Refrigerator. However, there is one for Outlet. I thought maybe the refrigerator could be tied into that. Also in the spare parts pile that came with the boat there are 2 power cords, one with a 3 prong plug (120V AC) and one with a cigarette adapter at one end. Both have the same molded adapter at the other end. I thought maybe they were unused power cords from a rectifier which would be hardwired into the boat.
I will ask the dealer/service manager and let them resolve the issue.

I just noted that the actual model listed on the label inside the fridge is CR-1065.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Gregg,

From your posts you seem to have a fair load on your house battery bank. Although I was expecting (4) x 6v golf cart batteries on delivery, I only received a single 12v Group 27. Given the load I have, it is nowhere near the capacity needed. The dealer was unaware of this omission, until I pointed it out and he will correct it.

Currently both the house and starting batteries are located in the locker under the aft starboard settee (below the AC/DC power panel). There is obviously not enough room for the additional 4 golf cart batteries even when the original 12v house battery is removed. I hope that there will be room in that locker for the 4 x 6v if the dealer relocates the starter battery elsewhere.

So I have a couple of questions for you:

1. How are your house and starter battery banks set up? Maybe touch on quantity, size, type (FLA, AGM, Gel, etc.) and location of each bank.
2. Also maybe comment on any optional battery charging systems that you have added such as larger alternator (mine is the standard 60 Amp, but have been offered to swap with the optional 80 Amp), solar, generator, etc.
3. Any other information that you may want to provide.

Thanks

GreggL

Mar 1, 2012
Hunter e33 New Rochelle, NY
My dealer installed 2 main house batteries in addition to the starter battery, this was standard from what they told me. This in conjunction with the 60amp alternator seems to be enough for anything that I do. When I'm out on extended trips I usually take a slip overnight at marinas so I always can charge them up. Additional generators didn't seem to be needed for my purposes. eventually I'd like to have solar setup on my Bimini, but I'm spreading out my purchases

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Are the house batteries Group 27? And where are your house and starter batteries located?

GreggL

Mar 1, 2012
Honestly, I don't know what the batteries are, they're located under the starboard salon bench though. Never had any power issues and I run a lot off of them for hours at a time. Hope that helps.

GreggL

Mar 1, 2012
An update on the various issues with the 29 hp yanmar in my e33;
There was an oil leak that has now been resolved, it was due to a faulty seal as I was told.
A starter solenoid had burned up because of an engine control panel keeping the start button engaged. This was replaced, then I had an issue with the replacement; the engine would not shut off so it was replaced again.
Happy to say all is resolved (for now).

Apr 16, 2012
Well, our boat finally arrived. Hull #139, Hunter e33. About 2 months later than originally promised. Sofar we have not encounter too many issues.

Fore sail furling drum was quite stiff that we couldn't fuel in the sail. The drum needed to be rotated by hand.

There were a few minor cosmetic issues on the counter top and on the teak table. These were taken care of by the dealer.

One issue I would like to get some feedback back on is regarding the swim platform. This pertains specifically to the e33 design. Our boat has the teak finish applied to the swim platform. When the platform is opened you can stand on it. I find that when I stand in the middle, it has a bit of a spongy feeling to it. My impression is that the team layer has an air bubble between it and the fiber glass door platform. The dealer insures me that it's okay. It's just that the platform is a large flat section and just has a bit of "give".
Are any of you experiencing the same?

And finally, there is an issue with the Raymarine wiring. My boat was ordered with an ST60 depth, ST60 speed, SPX-5auto pilot with an ST6002 controller. It arrived with a p70 controller. (that was a nice upgrade from Hunter...No mention of it). The problem is that the p70 is capable of repeating the depth and speed values. It does not on mine. After hours of research and posting on Raymarine support website, I am 99% certain I know what the problem is and know how to correct it. So, here is where the finger pointing game may start. A few cables, a seatalk to SeatalkNG converter and some labor time. But who is going to pay for that? But in the spirit of the Olympic season......Let the games begin!

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I wanted to be sure so I took the time to check out my teak covered swim platform yesterday. As expected no sponginess, no give, solid as any deck on the boat. As far as the dealer calling it a large flat section, please direct him to the deck area over your v-berth or even the lid on the Euro locker. No sponginess, no give. Have him repair it.

Serena1, may I suggest you have the dealer exchange your P70 with an ST6002 control head. The vast majority of your commands for the autopilot (xmt Wind Vane and Cal - done once for setup) will be carried out from your chartplotter. Regardless, your ST Plus instruments will last a very, very long time. My ST50 Autohelm instruments were well over 20 years old and still functioning on my previous boat. What I am saying is by that adding one new instrument, the P70, with only SeaTalkng ports to your otherwise exclusively Seatalk port system is of little benefit. By the time your ST60 Plus instruments are ready for replacement you can expect new, probably all totally wireless, technology to be on the shelf.

Apr 16, 2012
Thanks L.

I will address the issue of the swim platform with the dealer.

You are probably right about the ST60, but I still need to get a NG network, because I have a e7 at home waiting to be installed. The dealer is working with me to get it right.

On a different note, my cockpit table is loose, actually missing about 6 screws. My advise to e33 owners is to look under the table for missing screws. My feeling the screws rattled loose during the trip from Florida.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
New

When I ordered my new H-36 I was living on LI and bought it from a dealer in Ct. who I researched that got very good reviews and they were a ferry ride from where I lived across LI sound.
I also was retiring when tthe boat was delivered from Florida and than commissing I would call my sales guy to pick me up from the ferry to go back and forth to check on things while commissing.
It was April beautiful weather for hanging out and even going out sailing on new Hunters as they were commissioned,yes it was great and I was so lucky to do this,point is I spent a lot of time on my boat while the guys were putting everything together and checking everything setp by step and yes I did get them to go back over some minor stuff and as they asked if I was completely happy with everything and I did need them to go back for minor things.
Before sailing away home we spent hours going over a long check list that Hunter has for them to go over with the new owner and signed by all and each of us gets a copy and the dealer had a long list of things he made adjustments to also that I still have,they had me bring it back to them around 90 days for free oil and fuel changes and anything needing done for me to be completely 100% happy aand still very happy and best sailboat ever.
Nick

GreggL

Mar 1, 2012
seadaddler said:
When I ordered my new H-36 I was living on LI and bought it from a dealer in Ct. who I researched that got very good reviews and they were a ferry ride from where I lived across LI sound.
I also was retiring when tthe boat was delivered from Florida and than commissing I would call my sales guy to pick me up from the ferry to go back and forth to check on things while commissing.
It was April beautiful weather for hanging out and even going out sailing on new Hunters as they were commissioned,yes it was great and I was so lucky to do this,point is I spent a lot of time on my boat while the guys were putting everything together and checking everything setp by step and yes I did get them to go back over some minor stuff and as they asked if I was completely happy with everything and I did need them to go back for minor things.
Before sailing away home we spent hours going over a long check list that Hunter has for them to go over with the new owner and signed by all and each of us gets a copy and the dealer had a long list of things he made adjustments to also that I still have,they had me bring it back to them around 90 days for free oil and fuel changes and anything needing done for me to be completely 100% happy aand still very happy and best sailboat ever.
Nick
Sounds like you had a great experience with your dealership. I chose the wrong one unfortunately and wasn't so lucky to have those issues addressed promptly.

Dunham

Jun 21, 2012
Hunter 33 Island Yacht Club
@Serena1 - Congrats on getting your boat, finally!

We don't seem to a spongy section on our swim platform.

Dunham

Jun 21, 2012
One of the challenges we have with our Hunter 33 is the water build up in the Bilge Pump from the AC unit, freezer and refrigerator. We've had the dealer look at it, but there appears to still be a leak. Every weekend we use a manual pump to get the water out. We take out about 2 buckets of water. It's crazy. Also, don't be alarmed if the water in your bilge pump looks like it has sand in it. It's just dust, fibre glass particles b/c the boat is new.

Apr 16, 2012
@Serena1 - Congrats on getting your boat, finally!

We don't seem to a spongy section on our swim platform.
Thanks Dunham,
Dealer contacted Hunter and reported issue. Possible that they knew about the issue. Well see what they end up doing...new platform???

Dunham, I read you had quite an experience crossing lake Ontario. Oh, and congrats with your special day...we had dinner at the same place a couple weeks ago.

Dunham

Jun 21, 2012
Thanks Dunham,
Dealer contacted Hunter and reported issue. Possible that they knew about the issue. Well see what they end up doing...new platform???

Dunham, I read you had quite an experience crossing lake Ontario. Oh, and congrats with your special day...we had dinner at the same place a couple weeks ago.
It was the ride of our lives. It was up there as the most scarest moment of my life. For the husband, it was up there with the Iran/Iraq war when bombs were being dropped from planes. We've decided that there will be no more crossings this year. But, for every negative there is a positive right? Our boats are designed to take a beating. She performed and kept it together! We are very proud of our Hunter 33!

Status
Not open for further replies.