Hunter Davits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Hi I know there has been talk of what davits to use on our salboats but would love more info on the Hunter davits that I have seen on the 38,44 and 49 Hunters but can't remember how they are attached to the arch,do they clear the bimini and how much they stick out the back of the stern.
I am not crazy about Davits because we use the stern for on and off the boat alot and back into docking 9 out of 10 so they may be too much trouble but if I decide on davits I remember liking them very much so photo's and info how they work with a bimini would be great.
We are in Tarpon Springs and heading back to Punta Gorda Friday.
Nick

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Nick, this is on a H41 in our area. It has two arms attached to the arch that supports the davits.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Did you use the city docks in Tarpon Springs Nick?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
CityDocks

What pain tying dock lines on those poles but we had plenty of help from the dock master and our other PGSC members so yes we are here for 2 days back to gulfport tomorrow on the outside if the wind helps us and than we can avoid all the bridges.
Any way real nice town and nice and easy get off the boat walk around town shopping eating breakfast lunch and dinner while we are here and lots shopping too.
Nick

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
More Photo's

Thanks Scott but really need some close ups how it connects to arch because my bimni arms might be in the way so need more close up where it connects to arch any body else have any.
Off to happy hour with PGSC members and than into town thanks
Nick

Oct 22, 2005
Hunter 44DS Redondo Beach, CA
They bolt on.

I also have these davits. They bolt on to the arch at four points. I had to modify my Bimini after installing it (I also did some other mods to support solar panels).

Apr 10, 2011
Hunter 41DS Cape Harbor Marina, Cape Coral
Nick,
Escapade is a 41DS. We had the Hunter davits installed before we had the canvas done. So, placement of the bimini bow mounts was dictated by the placement of the arch connectors (2 per side). The picture below is included so you can see the dinghy in place. We stern to all the time, but use the finger pier to get on and off the boat. But..........if you raise the dinghy all the way up, there is about 4 feet of clearance underneath. So, you can, with a little ducking, get on and off the boat across the stern.

NEW.CANVAS.3.jpg

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Hi I know there has been talk of what davits to use on our salboats but would love more info on the Hunter davits that I have seen on the 38,44 and 49 Hunters but can't remember how they are attached to the arch,do they clear the bimini and how much they stick out the back of the stern.
I am not crazy about Davits because we use the stern for on and off the boat alot and back into docking 9 out of 10 so they may be too much trouble but if I decide on davits I remember liking them very much so photo's and info how they work with a bimini would be great.
We are in Tarpon Springs and heading back to Punta Gorda Friday.
Nick
I have the Hunter davits onmyr 44 DS and they work well. I have an AB 10.6 with 15 hp Yamaha and hoist the dinghy flush to the davits easily with a 6 part tackle. Then you are able to board from the stern if tied stern-to. However, the dinghy does then overhang the dock, which your neighbors or the marina may not care for. Here is a somewhat faraway, but zoomable pic so you can see how they attach and how the Bimini works. I also have a full enclosure which is not shown here.

Attachments

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I will be doing more research on the Hunter Davits as soon as we get back to Our home port an most likely be calling Hunter for sure on any info or details I can get from them.
I like the Hunter Davits because they are not installed all over on the stern and are sort of out of the way and high off the back of the boat but I don't want to have to modify my bimini too much to use them.
If anyone has purchased them recently please contact me in private message and if when they got the davits did you get any paper work with the install I would appreciate it.
Nick

Apr 17, 2011
Hunter 45DS or 445 St. Petersburg
I am not thrilled with the appearance of the Hunter davits. They have an excessive amount of extended lateral "arms" that create a cage-like appearance from a beam side view. I believe it destroys the beauty of the boat. I assume this might be a necessary evil, given the fact that Hunter's factory arch is located more forward than typical after-market arches installed on boats manufactured by other companies. In addition, the Hunter arch is designed to point or lean forward. This necessitates lengthy arms and additional supporting arms in order to get the dinghy positioned sufficiently off the stern. Adding length, obviously creates a greater leverage of weight by the dinghy & outboard, requiring much more hardware for support.

I have chartered davit equipped boats in the B.V.I. on multiple occasions. I loved the convenience and ease of these davits. Lowering the dinghy into the water was simple. Plus, there were plenty of other benefits, such as:

1. Eliminating water from routinely filling the dinghy when it was towed;
2. Protecting the outboard;
3. Avoiding the bumps in the night when you are anchored and the dinghy starts bouncing against the hull;
4. Simplifying sailboat backing...by not having to shorten the dinghy's painter to avoid tangling into the prop;
5. Simplifying the docking process...by not having to relocate the dinghy to a beam or bow cleat.
6. Protecting the dinghy and outboard from theft.

Am I the only one who thinks these Hunter davits are unsightly? Are there any alternative solutions?

Attachments

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Me Too

I like them and not is my problem but Ilike the fact that they hang off the arch very high and not off the stern but like said the Hunter Arch is really forward rather than set more rear off the stern.
The normal davits hang off the stern and low I think too much stainless hanging off the stern,I really was not interested in davits and maybe give up on them until I am completely sure I really want them,they are good keeping the dinghy out of the water but I love backing stern in and they would be a problem for sure.
I saw while up in Tarpon Springs that had a arch off the rear stern and had davit arms coming off this arch high and really looked good but the arch was more rear not like the Hunter Arch.
I will be looking at the Hunter Davits more to see if I want to go with them or not,just can't seem to decide so doing nothing may be better for now.
Nick

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
seadaddler,

I inquired Hunter Marine recently about their dinghy davits and they referred me to Kato Marine at 7416 Edgewood Road, Annapolis, MD 21403
Phone: 410-269-1218. I just purchased Garhauer’s 1-¼” diameter dinghy davits at the SF sailboat show for my sailboat. Good value.

Attached photo shows dinghy davits on a Hunter 36, which docked in my marina. Please let me know if you would like more photos.

Attachments

Apr 17, 2011
Hunter 45DS or 445 St. Petersburg
In my original post, I inquired about an alternative to davits that mount directly to the Hunter factory arch. I found those unsightly and detrimental to the slick appearance of the boat. Later, I found the Kato Marine site and observed photos that show how stern mounted davits on a Hunter look aesthetically far superior to davits that attach directly to the Hunter factory arch. Some further research on the SailNet forum revealed that Kato davits are considered to be the Mercedes Benz of sailboat davits. The bad news? You pay dearly for that extra quality!

In choosing davits, it is also important to consider the size and weight of the dinghy and outboard you intend to carry.

Kato Marine has four models of sailboat davits:

Bay II model - Stainless steel. Generally for smaller boats and lighter dinghies, roughly 27' to 35' boats, or dinghies around 8' - 10' and light.

Island model - Stainless steel. Handles larger dinghies, typically up to around 11.5' and fifteen HP outboards.

Winch model - Stainless steel. Same design as the Island model, but with a self tailing winch to make hauling the dinghy easier.

Note: All stainless steel models attach to the stern rail. If required; they offer functional and attractive reinforcing for the rails.

Voyager model - (top of the line) Aluminum. These heavy duty davits attach to the deck or transom. They are beautifully coated with an Awlgrip polypropylene finish which can be matched to the yacht. Pricey at: $4,100.00

The Kato Marine site has photos of all davit models. The quality of their products look impressive. I plan on visiting this Annapolis company to get a closer look when I attend the October boat show.

Status
Not open for further replies.