Hunter Corporation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carol Ellis

This past November at the St. Petersburg, Florida boat show we purchased a new Hunter 36. We had visited the Hunter web page many times before our purchase and felt very comfortable with our purchase. No brochure was available at the Show but upon seeing the boat “in person” the deal was sealed. Our boat was delivered a few weeks later and we noticed that the “Designer Curtains” that were part of the standard equipment were not on the boat. We checked the web page and sure enough the curtains were shown as part of the Standard package. Hunter showed “Designer Shades” as an Option. We brought this to the attention of our wonderful dealer who went to bat for us but Hunter wouldn’t budge and our dealer split the cost of $400 with us for the “Designer Shades”. Granted Hunter does have a disclaimer that changes can be made without notice. We also wrote to Hunter Corporation stating our disappointment and also pointing out what they showed on the web page. After our complaint Hunter did change their web page and no window treatments were shown, other then an Option. Monday, December 8, we checked the Hunter web page and lo and behold the “Designer Shades” are on as Standard. This was brought to the attention of Hunter Corporation by our dealer and they refused to refund our money or that of our dealer. All this has taken place in less then a 30 day time frame. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you handle it or how did Hunter handle it? We’re so frustrated. It’s apparent now that when you deal with Hunter Corporation what you see on their web page is not what you will get. . It’s almost like a bait and switch. Maybe I'm being picky but I feel like I'm being taken advantage of by Hunter Corporation. You can email us at; Peoplemove@aol.com Thanks so much. Bill and Carol Ellis

L

Larry Long

I agree with you

I just looked on the Hunter web page and the 36 and 385 both show the accordian window shades as STANDARD equipment. On the 326 they are listed as an option. From my point of view it looks like Hunter owes you the accordian window shades. My personal experience in dealing with Hunter has all been excellent. I suggest that you call Hunter and ask John Peterson if they REALLY go the distance for you. I'd bet they will. Please post again to let us know how it works out. I plan to buy a larger boat within the next two years and I would like confirmation that I am planning to buy the right one

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Dealer/Hunter Issue?

If you purchased this through a dealer, they should have taken care of all the invoicing and optioning. That's their job, not yours. Regardless, your place isn't in the middle. This is really a petty and stupid issue that should be resolved between them and not you, based upon your description. Rick D.

J

Jeff Bacon

Hunter has a hard time ....

..... making a boat right the first time. I bought a 386 this year and the list of problems was as long as a horses face. That being said, Hunter stepped up to the plate and made (and is still making) things right. I saw an "identical" 386 at the Annapolis show, and my wife and I ran out of fingers counting the changes and omissions from that boat vs my boat purchased 6 months earlier. My lesson learned ? If I buy another new boat from any manufacturer, I will get a statement in writing that my new boat will be identical to the demo or floor model. I finally got action by telling my dealer that I wanted to give the boat back to Hunter. Jeff

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Other side of the story *box

I'm going to wade into this and duck when the flames start. :) But, I've talked to a lot of guys who design, build, and sell boats, and the process of bringing a new model to market is a little more fluid than you'd think. All production boats change from mold to mold (every dozen boats or so), and in the beginning of the production run it's not unusual that every boat is different -- sometimes significantly. As the boats are being built builder is fine tuning the design, gear, and costs, based on production line feedback, plus owner and dealer input. To compound the problem, the company is under pressure to photograph the boat asap to get brochures rolling. The boat used in the photos is always hull #1, which is also the least like the rest of the production run. Meanwhile, the builder discovers stuff, like the refrig design needs work (and more parts plus a retrofit for existing units), the mast manufacturer goes out of business, etc., etc., etc. And the builder is left trying to hit a cost target while the playing field keeps shifting. This doesn't even address competitive pressures, which must factor into this somewhere. Which is why you see that disclaimer on the brochure about equipment changing without notice. They need that lattitude from the protoype in the photographs until the production specs settle down. If you think this same kind of situation is unique to Hunter, check with some folks who own Beneteaus, Catalinas, even Tartans and Moody's. Now, that doesn't account for Hunter's reaction to this incident. Sounds odd to me and my guess is the same as Rick's: This is between Hunter and the dealer and you shouldn't be forced into the middle. Anyway, while I agree that there's no excuse for a new owner being this dissatisfied, it's not as simple as bait and switch, either. I hope you'll keep us posted on how this unfolds.

M

Mark

What! Two hundred bucks.

Sure there is the aspect of misleading and all that stuff but "really" how much was the new yacht. Don't have to tell us all but I bet the 200 bucks is fairly insignificant. Bite the bullet get off the internet and go sailing!

J

Jeff D

Changes made without notice ?

Sure a manufacturer can make changes without notice but when a boat is contracted for, sold and is represented as XYZ you can not then unilaterly change the contract. I am no lawyer, and have never played one on TV, but any contract should include everything on the boat and be approved by the dealer and manufacturer. If changes are made after the contract is signed they can only be done with the approval of both parties. What if the "standard" engine size was changed from 3 to 2 cylinders as standard after the contract was signed? Same situation as the now infamous curtains. The owner should get the curtains as standard, Hunter should pick up the cost. The dealer should have picked up the cost at first and then gotten reimbursed by Hunter. Sure the amount is only a drop in the bucket but how much do you think Hunter is actualy paying for those curtains? Sorry no sympathy for Hunter on this one.

M

Mark

Geeze

We must be to casual down under. Quite frankly two hundred dollar curtins means stuff all to me. I'd rather sit back on my yacht with a cold fosters in my hand and enjoy sailing for the day rather than have to visit my GP with stomach ulsers.

S

Steve O.

$200 reputation

Sure, the boat cost over 100k, but what is the company's reputaion worth? I usually stay out of these issues because I don't know both sides of the story, but if it were my company, I wouldn't risk my reputaion for a lousy $200. It's not like the Ellis's are asking for a big ticket item like refridgeration or radar that wasn't on the boat model they looked at.

D

Daryl

Constant Improvements = Cost Cutting

They are constantly looking for ways to save a buck and increase profits. More often changes are made based on cost rather than supply problems as previously suggested

M

Mike

Buying 101

You should have went over all of these items and issues with your dealer prior to purchasing. You wouldn't buy a house with out a walk through nor would you buy a car with out an options list for that specific car. (window sticker).

D

Don

Could the dealer

be stiffing you without Hunter Corp. even knowing about it? I wonder if maybe the dealer is just stiffing you for the $200 and hasn't paid Hunter anything. Or the dealer screwed up and Hunter has drawn the line with them, as others have suggested above. If your facts are correct, this shouldn't be your fighth. This just doesn't sound like something Hunter would dicker over based on my interaction with them (on my 3rd Hunter).

K

Ken Koons

Next boat $$$$

You would think that $400 would be a nice gesture for Hunter to make in keeping a happy customer; especially if they want to sell him a bigger boat 2, 5 or 10 years down the line. The equipment list on the bill of sale should be the binding contract in this instance in my humble opinion. If they were listed as standard, they're standard. If not then you should have pointed out the difference between the advertised equipment (website) and the actual invoice. Of course there is a lot of detail in those lists and it would be easy to miss.

S

SteveD

no brainer for dealer...

I'm buying a 36' at the moment, the boat's on the line at Hunter. I've gone to the factory twice and actually seen my boat being built, kinda fun. Anyhoo, this should have been a no brainer for your dealer. They should have eaten the 400 bucks to keep you a happy camper, er, sailor. You should call Hunter, ask for Julie or Eric in sales. Tell them the problem. You paid 150k for a boat, you should not have headaches for seriously overpriced curtains. I mean 400 bucks for curtains sewed in Alachua, FLA? lol. Talk about mark-up. But remember the mark-up comes from your dealer. Hunter sets the dealers price, the dealer sets your price. I've seen the dealer price sheet, they have a healty mark-up on all options. Since you are in FLA, I'd plan a trip up to Hunter, tour the factory and tell them face-to-face. Luck!

T

Tim McCarty

You MAY have grounds for legal action

if you can prove false advertising. If Hunter claims the designer shades are standard (or, if they somehow show it to be a standard item in any advertising), you may have grounds for a lawsuit to, at least, recap the money you and your dealer spent on this "option". This is why Hunter probably made such a hasty change to their website. Good luck.

T

Tim McCarty

Post Script

this really sounds more like a dealer problem than with the manufacturer. In all fairness to Luhrs/Hunter, I have had nothing but good response from Huntermarine, and I bought my boat used from the Hunter dealer here at Toledo Beach Marina. They went the extra mile for me. Either way, good luck with your new boat.

M

mike

1-800-beneteau

this seems unbeleivable!! how can a luxury yacht manafacturer not stand behind their product. you stated you wrote hunter, but didn't state if they responded directly to you. i have to question if the dealers' relationship isnt strained with hunter. hunter sure got enough bad press here how a bout the dealer, you didnt mention their name. but it goes to show; make your customers happy and they might tell a few people, make them unhappy and they'll tell everyone!!!!!! hunter and dealer GET WITH IT!!!! regards, mike

R

robert

hunter rep

My experience with hunter is similar to you others. They have problems getting a new boat right but step up to the plate to fix it over time. Not very cost effective but in the end alright I guess. The curtain thing sounds very unhunter like, I bet the dealer is pulling a fast one.

S

SteveD

New dealer in StPete

I wanted to add another thought on this. The Hunter dealer in St Pete changed this year I believe. The old dealer was Sailor's Wharf. I'm not sure who sells Hunters there now. But it would be a new dealer. Maybe they don't know Hunters policies, etc. Just a thought to consider. Cheers, SteveD

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Try not to let it spoil your experience....

When we bought our H-35 from an old dealer in Seattle (1988) we met our salesman at the dock at Shilshole and he took some pictures of us with the boat and handed me the keys. As he was getting off he "remembered something" and went down below and came out with a small box under his arm which was the Signet SL-40 depth sounder which hadn't been installed. I just commented "what's that?", or something to that effect and he muttered something and left. It's been a long time and I don't remember the details but I didn't want to argue because I didn't want to ruin "our" experience with our purchase. But it still griped me. Several months later the dealers dad was over to our marina to try and fix the hot water heater leak and when he was done we talked a bit and I mentioned what the salesman did. As it turned out the salesman left the firm shortly afterward and started his own dealership with C&C. The dad later found the box with the sounder and gave it to me. This made things much better but even so I would not have gone to general quarters. In your case is the deal between just you and a salesman? or is the owner of the dealership privy to what happened? If you were buying a boat just like the showboat and it wasn't mentioned that the coverings were extra then I'd say you are owed. On the otherhand there will nodoubt be some warranty issues in the year ahead and pressing this issue could have an impact the degree of service, both positive and negative. Seems like the Dealer is tight-fisted so it wouldn't be surprising if the aftermarket service is equally minimalist. P.S. Really got a chuckle out of the 1-800-beneteau! P.S.#2 Come to think of it, I still have the Signet depthsounder and it was never installed. Make an offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.