Hunter Chart plotter update and suggestions

Gdindy

Jul 11, 2007
Hunter 410 Washington Park Marina, Michigan City, Indiana
I have a 2001 Hunter 410, I'm interested in upgrading the Chart Plotter 1 which is a Raymarine RL70 C along with accompanying gauges and radar installed. I have another Chart plotter 2 (same model) networked with helm station unit and mounted below at nav station which I have seldom used primarily due to our cursing lifestyle to date. The old Chart plotter has seen better days and its getting time for an update. Im looking at the Axiom 9 wanting a MFD and something with a forward looking sonar option. I could do with or without the Chart Plotter located below deck at this time. I also have looked at the SIMRAD. Im also not sure where the transducer is located since I purchased the boat used and have not needed to locate it to date any direction on this would be appreciated. So my questions are pretty much as follows.
1. Any experience installing a new Chart Plotter that has older accompanying instruments? They are mounted on the cockpit pedestal.
2. Any suggestions on the sonar? Would radar connect and still function with a new MFD unit?
3. Thru-hull transducer could or could not be used or get new one?
4. Get some friends and some beer and install it or get professional installation then drink?

Attachments

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My new Raymarine a98 exactly matches the hole for my old RL70 C. In addition the screen size matches an iPad which, with RayControl app, became a secondary station which replaced my Nav station RL70 C.

I called Raymarine to find out their recommendations for a replacement.
Jim...

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
One of the most prevalent issues with updating electronics is whether the new instruments will be able to interface with the existing ones. Some manufactures sell "black boxes" that will help make the transition between new and old technology work seamlessly. The bigger issues usually come when you try to interface electronics from different manufacturer's. Most of the tech support people will not be willing or able to tell you what problems you might encounter. For that reason, hiring a professional installer will go a long way toward making your system do what you expect it to do in the end.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
BTW all my older Raymarine SeaTalk stuff worked fine except Radar. I had to go digital, versus RL70 analog.
If you want a Sonar, their new CHIRP down vision is very cool, next haul out I plan to install that through hull transducer in place of my depth/Temp transducer.
Your old Sonar will work fine, mine is not thru hull.
Jim...

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
When my C-80 died I called Raymarine and said no problem with instruments but radar won’t
Work with the newer chartplotter.
Nick

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Your old instruments will easily connect to the new MFD via a $100 sea talk converter. I installed mine in the pedestal cavity. I still use ST 60 depth and speed units with mine. You will need new radar. I was able to replace the cable to the radar with the mast up.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Your old instruments will easily connect to the new MFD via a $100 sea talk converter. I installed mine in the pedestal cavity. I still use ST 60 depth and speed units with mine. You will need new radar. I was able to replace the cable to the radar with the mast up.
It may be worth looking into a radar along the lines of a Raymarine Quantum WiFi Pulse Compression Radar with your new MFD and SeaTalk converter to interface with your current instruments. Use your old radar cable to supply power and Bob's your uncle.

Gdindy

Jul 11, 2007
Hunter 410 Washington Park Marina, Michigan City, Indiana
My new Raymarine a98 exactly matches the hole for my old RL70 C. In addition the screen size matches an iPad which, with RayControl app, became a secondary station which replaced my Nav station RL70 C.

I called Raymarine to find out their recommendations for a replacement.
Jim...
Thanks thats just what I was looking for. Did you have to go with a new radar or do you not run radar?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I bit the bullet and got a new digital radar. Installed price $1250. But I got lucky.
Boat show discount $400, Son-in-law needed my old working radar $500.
Net new cost $350!!!:):):clap: [eBay re-sale with RC70 display and cable ≈$700 anyway]

Raymarine Quantum
This is newest CHIRP multifrequency Radar. Nearly 3D display! [this was top secret military 20+ years ago]
You should call Raymarine direct. A very nice Technican spent all the time i needed to understand. He immediately said a98m if I wanted AIS and CHIRP sonar now or in future.
That was 2016.
Who knows which is best now?:rolleyes:
Jim...