Hunter 50 ST-60 Tridata Wiring

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I am in the process of trying to install an ST60 Wind Instrument above the companionway on my boat which has mostly ST70 instruments. I opened up the Navpod by the helm which has a ST70, a ST70 Autopilot and a ST60 Tridata to see how the ST60 Tridata was wired from Hunter. I found that the ST60 Tridata was not connected to the ST70 instruments or the Seatalk ng network but has a separate wire with crimped connectors attached which runs down the handguard I was surprised as I expected the ST60 to be connected to the ST70 via a Raymarine adapter plug. Does anyone know where this wire goes to and how it connects to the Raymarine network? I suspect it connects under the navigation station but I didn't have time to check.

Attachments

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Do all instruments connect to your MFD? If they do not your ST60 may be stand alone and not interconnected. You need a converter to connect the two different vintage system. Easy to do, cost around $100.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I am in the process of trying to install an ST60 Wind Instrument above the companionway on my boat which has mostly ST70 instruments. I opened up the Navpod by the helm which has a ST70, a ST70 Autopilot and a ST60 Tridata to see how the ST60 Tridata was wired from Hunter. I found that the ST60 Tridata was not connected to the ST70 instruments or the Seatalk ng network but has a separate wire with crimped connectors attached which runs down the handguard I was surprised as I expected the ST60 to be connected to the ST70 via a Raymarine adapter plug. Does anyone know where this wire goes to and how it connects to the Raymarine network? I suspect it connects under the navigation station but I didn't have time to check.
Ok, here's the whole scoop
There are 2 types of Tridata; repeater & intrument. The intrument version connects to the knotmeter & depth transducers ( the crimped wires), and then the speed & depth are output on the ST1 bus.
Now, the ST70s also had speed & depth interfaces, which were called "pods" The pods had a transducer input, and then put the data on STng. The pods never worked well, we're very expensive, and didn't play well with legacy ST1.
So, your Tridata st1 is going back to your plotter (and /or) pilot, which is how the ST1 & STng are communicating
Now, you didn't mention that you had a ST60 wind already, so I suspect that you have a wind interface pod under your chart table.
So, the masthead cable goes to this pod, and now the ST70s can display wind.
Here is my suggestion on how to clean all this up, and make things work logically.
You need to buy a really spiffy device called a ITC-5. It takes the speed, depth, and wind sensor inputs, and puts it very neatly on STNg
You will mount this underneath your chart table, and get rid of the original wind pod. The itc-5 goes inline into the STNg backbone, which is already under your chart table.
Now, you need to "back fish" the speed & depth transducer wires from the helm (I.e. Pull them out), and route them down to the chart table. You will now connect them to the itc-5.
So, now all of your data is properly on the STNg bus.
So, I'm asssuming on your spray hood you have one or more ST70 heads.
All you need to do is plug an adapter Cable which has STNg and ST1 on either end. Insert the STNg plug into one of the ST70s, and the other end into the ST60 wind. It will work fine. You will need to calibrate the wind through the ST70s, because the itc-5 won't be receiving data back from the ST60.
If you want to make the system perfect, install a STNg to ST1 converter in your spray hood, and connect the St60 wind through it. Then you can cal the itc-5 from the st60

Now, there may be one cheap & dirty shortcut to this, which is worth a try.
Take the STNg to ST1 adapter cable, and just plug it from one of the spray hood ST70s to the ST6o wind. It will likely work, but it might be unreliable. You are using the autopilot (or plotter) to do a STNg to ST1 conversion.
In the STNg backbone there is 1 extra wire which doesn't come out on the Spurs. It is actually a ST1 data line. Which gives limited backward compatibility
So, maybe try this first, and see what happens. Do NOT connect 12v to the wind head. It should be getting power through the adapter cable.
Hope this helps