Hunter 49 owners save me from tearing up my headliner

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
soooo there are two speakers in the forward cabin above the v-berth ... they don't show up in the owners manual schematic .... they aren't attached to the dvd player, tv, or the bose system and I don't see any dangling unattached wires near any of them either .... any body know what they were originally attached to out of the factory?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
May not have been original Kevin. Are you the original owner? If not the previous owner may have installed them. DO they work? What moves you tear up the headliner?

Jun 8, 2004
don't know if they work never tested them ... I am the second owner but I know they are factory because I can see them in brochure pictures ... as for tearing up the headline I have no plans to do that I'm just crying out for attention

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Have you tried the AM/FM and my Am/Fm radio and can change the sound off in my 4 speakers with the fading control.
I have speakers in my main cabin and at the helm and can adjust the sound in them with the AM/FM.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
soooo there are two speakers in the forward cabin above the v-berth ... they don't show up in the owners manual schematic .... they aren't attached to the dvd player, tv, or the bose system and I don't see any dangling unattached wires near any of them either .... any body know what they were originally attached to out of the factory?
In the fwd cabin is a DVD player and Sole screen . These speakers are attached to it. Perhaps you don't have the DVD system installed?

Jun 8, 2004
wow good stuff coming out of a dumb question .....

DayDreamer41
Good thought but I don't have the AM/FM cabin stereo option on my boat. I have previously downloaded both the 2007(also there is a hard copy of this one on board) and 2010 manuals for the boat. Both have many schematics of various systems but neither is nearly as complete as the link you sent. The 2013 schematic manual has many schematics that aren't in the original manuals; the optional stereo page you replicated is one example. I have now downloaded the schematic manual in your link and I am excited to have a bunch of new info on my boat. I would recommend all 49 owners who haven't downloaded it to go get it. So thank you.

artboas
I think your guess is the correct one. I have a TV in the front cabin but no DVD player. My guess is the DVD was removed by the previous owner leaving the speakers attached to nothing. What is curious is I have looked in in the wiring space above the hanging closet where the mast wiring connections are located and where you would expect to find the unattached speaker wires but they are no where to be found. (of course they could be hiding in plain sight like the three way splitter on the a/c raw water pump)

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
wow good stuff coming out of a dumb question .....

DayDreamer41
Good thought but I don't have the AM/FM cabin stereo option on my boat. I have previously downloaded both the 2007(also there is a hard copy of this one on board) and 2010 manuals for the boat. Both have many schematics of various systems but neither is nearly as complete as the link you sent. The 2013 schematic manual has many schematics that aren't in the original manuals; the optional stereo page you replicated is one example. I have now downloaded the schematic manual in your link and I am excited to have a bunch of new info on my boat. I would recommend all 49 owners who haven't downloaded it to go get it. So thank you.

artboas
I think your guess is the correct one. I have a TV in the front cabin but no DVD player. My guess is the DVD was removed by the previous owner leaving the speakers attached to nothing. What is curious is I have looked in in the wiring space above the hanging closet where the mast wiring connections are located and where you would expect to find the unattached speaker wires but they are no where to be found. (of course they could be hiding in plain sight like the three way splitter on the a/c raw water pump)
If you have the tv, you likely had the DVDs player at one time
Look for a small rectangular black plug frehangjng around. This was plugged into the original dvd player

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
On my Hunter 50 the forward cabin headliner speakers are connected to a Sony radio/cd/dvd located under the Sole TV.
I just removed the headliner in the aft cabin to get at hardware for the dodger. Had some excellent advice from UncleDom!

Jun 8, 2004
SEMPERAVANTI 41 .... funny the Sony remote was left on board when I bought the boat 2 years ago .... I always wondered what it was for ... now based on comments from you and artboas I realize the Sony dvd /am/fm was removed and thus the reason the speakers are hooked to nothing ... but I had success this weekend and found the wires coiled up / wire tied and hung about a foot above the mast wire connections and the radar relay both above the aft hanging locker in the v-berth ... so mystery solved ...now I just need to decide what to hook them up to ...

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
tkwhalen, are you sure you have a "radar relay"? I installed radar myself and have no such relay.

Jun 8, 2004
SEMPERAVANTI 41

Well hmmm .... radar relay is what I call it ... I believe what it does is it allows me to display the radar image on multiple screens .... at the chart table and/or in the cockpit ... along side or as overlay to the chartplotter ... any way you slice it, it is small box up above the v-berth aft hanging locker