Hunter 49/50 impeller replacement

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hi folks,
I posted a very comprehensive writeup on how to fix the dreaded impeller replacement fiasco on the 49/50.
Has anyone completed this project?
Mine has worked perfectly!!!

Oops typo.

Meant H50. Don't think they make a 60 yet

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter 40 Mount Sinai
I downloaded your modification for the water pump but have not gathered all the parts yet. I plan on doing the mod before splashing mid May. I appreciate your posting the procedure and I will post my results when finished. Thank you

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Art, I have purchased everything needed for the install. My pulley is different than yours and requires a different mounting for the pump. Please see attached sketch drawn from the Yanmar engine manual. I plan to machine a piece of 3/4" aluminum to act as a spacer between the pulley and the pump. I plan to secure the spacer to the pulley using the 3, M10x1.5 threaded holes already on the pulley. These holes will be counter sunk so the bolt heads will be below the surface of the spacer. Then I plan to drill 3, 1/2" tapped holes to secure the pump onto the aluminum spacer. By the way, there is clearance between the engine and the generator for this to work.
Please, let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
Like John I downloaded the write up (along with 20 other write ups found on this site) and put it in my someday folder .... but so far I only work on immediately needs fixing issues..... Every time I think of delving into my someday folder sailing beckons and I go out and play on the water instead buuuuut someday I still hope to make the modifications.

Jun 15, 2012
Thank you Art!!
I have finished the modification as per your instructions. I still have to install a spring mechanism to stop the pump from turning. On my 4JH4-HTE engine I had an adapter custom machined to mount the new water pump on the crankcase pulley. At the same time I upgraded the charging system with a new alternator, external regulator and serpentine drive.

Attachments

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Thank you Art!!
I have finished the modification as per your instructions. I still have to install a spring mechanism to stop the pump from turning. On my 4JH4-HTE engine I had an adapter custom machined to mount the new water pump on the crankcase pulley. At the same time I upgraded the charging system with a new alternator, external regulator and serpentine drive.
Dude!!!!
You did it.
I am just so pleased to see this.
And you were able to pop in a serpentine belt at the same time. You "one-upped" me
I see that you used 1" hose, so I gather you found the stainless BSP to barb fittings.
Yes, you need to do the anti-Rotation stop for the pump. While it's true that the hoses will keep it from really going anywhere, you don't want to do that. Its just not a good idea.
So, to reflect, the pump was designed to take a mechanical arm from the engine block to the pump, as you can't have the engine moving around, and link the pump to a stationary point. Something will break badly.

By final design, (which worked really well), was a compression spring between the pump threaded part, and a bar affixed to the engine bed.
You arrange it so that when the engine is running, the spring is in compression mode.
It's a medium duty spring, which allows it to compress & flex around with the engine vibration.
Then, when the engine shuts down, the spring momentarily goes into extension mode, and cycles back & forth a few times while the back pressure in the pump diminishes.
As you've already got the pump working, you know what I mean about the shut down oscillation
I highly reccomend 2 things:
Buy some stainless socket head cap screws to replace the water pump face plate screws.
It just so easy getting the plate on & off when the screw sits on the end of an Allen key
For sure, get a Jabsco impeller puller.
Even with the pump now 1000% more accessible, it's not terribly easy to pull the impeller lying on the floor with your arms hanging down.
If you are patient, they pop up on eBay for 1/2 the price of new.

Question:
When you took out your original water pump, how many blades were busted off the. Impeller? Mine was missing 3
I'm sure you couldn't believe the huge amount of water out of your exhaust with the new pump. It was amazing

Good job!!!!!

Jun 15, 2012
Art,
I replaced the original impeller in August of 2016. When I removed it 2 weeks ago, it was in perfect condition. I have an impeller puller, but of course it is impossible to use on the original backwards mounted pump. I had to use a Harbor Freight long reach hose grip pliers which slightly damaged the impeller, but it looks like it is in usable condition.
Yes, I purchased the 1" hose barbs from China as per your instruction.
Will tackle anti-rotation spring as soon as I finish a couple of pressing issues.

Thanks again for all your help!

Andy