Hunter 450 Passage

nafee

Nov 7, 2017
hunter 450 passage Brisbane
Good Evening gents,
First time poster long time lurker here, just curious if some hunter owners could give me some rough guide lines as to the cost of boat owner ship.
I'm 25 year old pilot currently living in San Francisco & for a long time ran the thought of buying a yacht and living aboard. I lived aboard for about two years when i was younger with my father when we were in-between homes so the whole living aboard is not completely foreign to me.
Just a few questions regarding the costs of boat owner ship, I'm attempting to run the numbers to see if it would be completely worth my while.
registration ?
Insurance ?
annual maintenance ?
slip fees ?
what other costs could I occur in the process?
i'm hopefully looking to finance half then the other half in cash
Is a Hunter 450 Passage really the boat for me? looking in between $80k - $120k
Ive been aboard a couple i do really love the lay out and the centre cockpit, they are a comfortable boat.

Thank you gents!
Nathan

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
Just You??

We, the two of us, lived aboard our Hunter Passage 42 and it was plenty of room for us. I am sure the 450 is more than roomy.

Your costs will be at least double (x4?) what ours were, West coast SF vs Northern Neck of VA.

We were documented so that is a wash with registration, we did pay personal property tax on the boat as our county required it, almost $1K yearly and our insurance was almost $1k yearly and our slip ran just under $300/month including electricity. We paid an added $70 per month in the winter months. Most years our annual maintenance was all DIY except bottom paint. Bottom was almost $3K but we got two years out of it usually. Rebed windows and deck stuff was routine. We did budget for oil changes on engine and generator, but that was not bad - just materials, as I did the labor.

Best of luck, no matter what you decide.

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
As noted, much of this stuff is determined by location. You are in one of the most expensive boating venues in the U.S., by far. You're also proposing what is definitely an "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" yacht. Do a little research on what a new sail, a new halyard or a new winch will cost. And call a local yard and ask what hauling fees are and the foot cost for bottom paint. Good luck to you.