Hunter 45 CC Off Shore

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
We have over 50,000 miles under the keel of our Passage 42. We crossed the Pacific from N. America to NZ three times, and windward from NZ to N. America once. Also about ten crossings between NZ and the islands (Fiji or Tonga). If you search my name or our boat Sabina, you'll see some of the modifications we made (although others here have done far more to their P 42 than we have). Bottom line: I agree with Don on S/V Illusion. Case in point--we were caught in a VERY late tropical depression on the way into Fiji from NZ, and were in the same weather and seas as a close-by Swan of similar size. We got through fine; the Swan came into Fiji with totally swept decks. (Lesson there about stowing stuff on deck during passages). Nothing wrong with crossing oceans on Hunters.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
I agree with most that has been said here and would not think twice about taking my 05 H44 off shore. We do most of our sailing as coastal cruisers in the Northeast and have occasionally countered bad though not terrible weather and the boat did just fine. On the other hand we recently had an opportunity to sail off shore with friends who are in year two of their circumnavigation aboard their 2004 Oyster 49. We sailed from Mallorca around the Southeast coast of Spain to Gibraltar. On the last leg Marabella to Gibraltar we were in 25 to 30 knot winds and 8 to 10 foot seas. While I am sure our Hunter would have done OK in those conditions, the ride in the Oyster which weighs in at around 60,000 lbs and is a center cockpit design (compared to the H44 at 24,000 lbs and is an aft somewhat open cockpit) and specifically designed as a blue water boat was very comfortable and secure well beyond what the H44 could provide. There will always be trade offs. If I were sailing offshore for an extended period of time I might opt for a blue water cruiser, but for occasional off shore legs my Hunter is just fine.

Nov 19, 2009
Hunter 45CC Ft Pierce and Abaco Bahamas
In 2012 I brought my 96 Hunter CC from SE FL to the Chesapeake and because of bad timing and leaving a day too early (there were issues with the crew that needed to be north and on a timeline) we ended up going through the tail end of tropical storm Beryl. The seas had to be 10-12 feet and wind 30 knots and rain rain rain. The boat did fine. I am now buying a 45CC and will move it South and maybe back north from time to time and have NO issues in my mind about doing so. I would rather be in a Chevy rather than a Mercedes any day of the week. Take her offshore Captain and enjoy it. Don't listen to the nay sayers, they're just jealous.

Ron

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I took my 2007 H-36 almost all off shore from Montauk,NY to east coast Florida and than down around the Key's to west coast Fl. to Punta Gorda.
The plan was all off shore to Bahama's but had to stop in NC for repairs and than back off shore,I had a good crew and prepared my H-36 before with all extra parts and EPIRB and weather radio and 4 man survival raft also.
My crew were not Hunter lovers before but changed their minds after the trip and said my H-36 did a great job the whole trip.
It was my very first off shore trip and we did do some trips off shore before leaving NY for Fl.
Since moving to Fl I have made a few trips over night to Key west and Dry Tortugas and make many trips out into the Gulf up and down the west coast and hope to be making a trip up the east coast soon.
With a good crew and good prep of the boat and weather weather is very important.
Nick

Feb 6, 2010
hunter passage456 kemah
We have a 2002 passage 456 the boat yours replaced, we bought her in 2007, added a stern arch and a inner forestry , lived aboad her for 4 yrs, then sailed her from Houston to Tampa, then up the east coast, across to Bahamas 3 times then in 2015 sailed her to eastern Caribbean spending hurricane season in Grenada, then up to at thomas and back to Grenada, now on the way up to virgins again, 12000 NM , no issues only thing that broke was the arch we had built on the stern, that's reality, there are haters out there but the boat can sail safely offshore. With that said I won't be crossing oceans with ours, but that's me.

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
1) It is offshore rated. Many Hunters are just Coastal rated.

2) the 41s were sailed from the factory in Florida to Australia for buyers there.

3) Before I bought my house the previous owner sold his 40 Ft Hunter to some Australians who sailed it back to Australia from Cape Coral Fl.

On my H380, with EPIRB , Radar, 2 VHF, AIS, 2 MFDs and etc. I'm the weak link, although I did upgrade after 17 years my Coastal Lewmar hatches to the stronger , newer Low Profile. H380s that I looked at , had made several Atlantic crossings. Size of fuel and water tanks are limiting factors however. The Hull on my H380 is very strong. A 40 foot sail boat dropped on it in a boat yard , did only superficial damage to the hull. Of course my mast broke in half and I lost all standing and running rigging. No hatches broke nor the front/side windshield. On lookers were amazed.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Almost any boat can go offshore...not so just any crew or Captain...that being said...when a friend of ours was describing the 4 days his wife spent huddled below as there 50 footer was tossed in a storm...I glanced at the Admiral and saw the look in her eyes...I went ahead and reminded her that I have seen the angry ocean from the deck of an aircraft carrier and have no interest in doing it from the deck of a 38 footer...:stir:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I just finished "Once Is Enough". Story of Miles Smeeton and his wife Beryl sailing their 46-ft Bermuda ketch, in the wild seas of Cape Horn. They had issues. They survived. The postlog of the book had some information on what may have caused their issues. The ocean has big waves 30-40 ft. The boats get going down the wave like a roller coaster. If the wave length is greater than the boat then the risks of the boat being rolled or flipped is greater. Reason the drogue is used, it extends more than twice the length of the boat. It extends into several wave lengths. It slows the boats speed. Instead of racing to the bottom of the wave and plowing into the trough the boat is carried in the wave and often the wave runs beneath the boat.

The waters of the Great Lakes have shorter wave lengths. An 18 foot wave will have the 41 ft sailboat extended over the length of the wave. Less chance of being flipped. At least that is the marine theory.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I have been contemplating taking my Hunter 45 CC off shore, the standar response I get from most of the sailing/offshore community where i live is NO, Hunter boats a not designed to be off shore for any extended time.
What are the general thoughts of the Hunter community? Should I continue with My Hunter or should I get a real off shore boat?
My standard response to this type of question is to suggest reading the book by John Kretschmer published not long ago, Sailing A Serious Ocean. He explains the problems and solutions, including the kinds of boats best suited for blue water cruising, based on his experiences. Can it be done in "successfully" in your H45 CC?; maybe yes, maybe no. Apparently, the H45 CC was designed and produced under an expectation that: "It won't be long before you begin to see this handsome sloop anchored in the watery crossroads of the world." See review at link below. Note the author of the review.;) Personally, however, I see the model as too bulky and cumbersome with too much windage for the close-in work of anchoring near shores in tight places, etc. (Based on limited contact with the boat.) Just be sure to equip yourself two or three sets of superior ground tackle.:)

http://sailingmagazine.net/article-528-hunter-45cc.html

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Saw a hunter 456 on the hard after running hard aground. The keel flexed causing a crack in the hull fore and aft of the keel. I would consider beefing up some of that area with extra stringers. Also consider beefing up the chainplate attachment points and bulkheads. Not saying they are weak but stronger just might be better for the continuous flexing any long term offshore sailing will generate

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@gettinthere I would imagine many vessels would not take a hard grounding without some kind of hull damage, after all they aren't made to bounce on their keels, as far as the flexing imparted by the forces from sailing, would those forces not be present regardless of what type of sailing the vessel is doing.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I have hard grounded my encapsulated keel boat with zero damage. Most modern production boats are built light and wont take the abuse that a more solidly built boat will. There are reasons Halberg Rassy and Swan, etc are considered a better built boat.
And those type boats are nore solidly built at the chainplates and bulkheads as well.
I am NOT Hunter bashing. They are perhaps the most bang for the buck going. They build them for what 99% of their buyers use them for, weekending. If I owned a Hunter (almost bought a 456) I would consider looking at doing some structural stiffening. BTW, I saw the same keel strike damage on a Catalina 45.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Like I said, they are not designed to bounce on the keel, what vessel is for that matter, I am sure that you wouldn't intentionally run your Endeavour hard aground, as for the comparisons, they are built differently kinda like comparing a Lincoln Continental to a Focus, I guess if I had the coin a Rassy would be in the well, but alas I have what I have, would I venture offshore, I would certainly have to think long and hard about that, but with good seamanship a dingy can and has ventured out into the big water, it all boils down to timing the weather, being prepared for the worse and knowing how and what to do and when.