Hunter 41DS Shower Drain

Aug 26, 2007
Hunter 41DS Ventura, California
I think I have a loose connection or split hose on the drain under the aft shower floor. The shower drains into the bilge but the hoses to/ from the sump pump are ok as far as I can see. How do I remove the drain from the shower pan? It has a pair of holes that look like they are possibly for a spanner to unscrew it. Has anybody removed this? The is no other access to the underside of the drain. Thanks

Attachments

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
The white, center piece on your photo can be prised up. It is connected to the drain hose.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
If this is like my 49, it is a right angle fitting.
Bad move.
It really restricts the flow.
I replaced mine with a straight barb, and that way it can drain to a sump box very easily.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
I think I have a loose connection or split hose on the drain under the aft shower floor. The shower drains into the bilge but the hoses to/ from the sump pump are ok as far as I can see. How do I remove the drain from the shower pan? It has a pair of holes that look like they are possibly for a spanner to unscrew it. Has anybody removed this? The is no other access to the underside of the drain. Thanks
Frazzle, I just has a friend with a 41DS go through the same ordeal. It is a 90 elbow under the drain. The drain is "sealed" in the bottom of the shower with sealant. You have to "patiently & slowly" dig the sealant out until it is released. You can then fix the connection and reseal the drain into the bottom of the shower. Good luck!

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I strongly suggest not going with another elbow. Here are my reasons:
An elbow greatly reduces water flow, and all your shower sludge builds up in the elbow cross section
Here is exactly what you want to do, and you will be the happiest guy around.
Replace both shower drains with straight fittings
Buy the Whale IC "T" section automatic grey water pump system.
Zero maintenance, and will never let you down.
Then, plumb in the airco pan drains into the same pump. No more water in bilge.
This is a fabulous setup, and everyone who has followed this recommendation raves about it.'
You can pm me for more details

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
AR unfortunately a straight fitting will not work in this application. The hull is very close to the fitting and there is no room to put a straight in that area! Nice thought though.

Aug 26, 2007
Hunter 41DS Ventura, California
Thanks to all who replied! I was able to clean the sealant and release the outer ring- the inner is attached to the outer ring via a threaded shaft. Exploring other suggested options. Thanks again.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
AR unfortunately a straight fitting will not work in this application. The hull is very close to the fitting and there is no room to put a straight in that area! Nice thought though.
Mine was very close as well.
Still managed to squeeze in a barb & hose.
Maybe forget the fitting, and just 5200 a piece of flex hose right into the hole.
Just a thought.