Hunter 410 - able to be hauled with hydraulic trailer?

Oct 31, 2014
Hunter 410 Weymouth, MA
I know the season just got started, but this is my first full year with my 2001 Hunter 410. We left her in the water last year, but am looking at winter storage at the yard I’ve been using for the past several seasons.

When I got a survey done last year, the boat yard I had set up to haul her called 10 mins before I arrived to say they wouldn’t haul her as they use a trailer and had issues with a previous Hunter. They cracked some stringers and said the larger Hunters were too heavy aft.

Is this just one yard’s experience or is this common knowledge? I’ll have to start looking at yards with a Travelift. Not a big deal, but I like the yard I’ve been using and they use a trailer as well for hauling.

Thanks,

Christian

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm not expert but I think a 41' boat is well into the Travelift area.
I'm a bit of a loss trying to understand how they attempted to haul a 41' boat with a trailer. I await enlightenment.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I know the season just got started, but this is my first full year with my 2001 Hunter 410. We left her in the water last year, but am looking at winter storage at the yard I’ve been using for the past several seasons.

When I got a survey done last year, the boat yard I had set up to haul her called 10 mins before I arrived to say they wouldn’t haul her as they use a trailer and had issues with a previous Hunter. They cracked some stringers and said the larger Hunters were too heavy aft.

Is this just one yard’s experience or is this common knowledge? I’ll have to start looking at yards with a Travelift. Not a big deal, but I like the yard I’ve been using and they use a trailer as well for hauling.

Thanks,

Christian
I went through this with my boatyard. They use a hydraulic trailer to haul lots of large power and sail boats but they were nervous about doing our 44DS. They said pretty close to the same thing as your yard. Well, I talked to Hunter and they said should be no problem from a structural perspective. So I sat down with the management and showed them a number of pictures of Maxine on the hard so they could locate her in the water on the trailer and they hauled her no problem at all. After that they hauled several large Hunters and other modern fin keel boats without a hitch. I have pics but they are on my phone. If you would like pics just send me a PM with your cell number and I'll send.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
I have had my 1998 410 hauled no less than 10 times that way, never an issue nor any complaining from the yard.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I'm not expert but I think a 41' boat is well into the Travelift area.
I'm a bit of a loss trying to understand how they attempted to haul a 41' boat with a trailer. I await enlightenment.
I think there's some ambiguity with the word "haul." The OP means to transport the boat over the road, not take it out of the water. There are large trailers for transporting large boats which have hydraulically actuated jacks (hence "hydraulic trailer") to support the hull, with the keel resting on large cross-wise timbers.

Oct 31, 2014
Hunter 410 Weymouth, MA
Sorry for the ambiguity. I mean just to pull it from the water and put it on stands in the boat yard. So far it looks like no issues.

Oct 1, 2007
I think there's some ambiguity with the word "haul." The OP means to transport the boat over the road, not take it out of the water. There are large trailers for transporting large boats which have hydraulically actuated jacks (hence "hydraulic trailer") to support the hull, with the keel resting on large cross-wise timbers.
This is the type of rig my boatyard operates. So the trick is knowing where to support the keel for the first haul. After that they take notes and file for each boat.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
After the first time, I had our yard stop using their hydraulic trailer on my 2000 H340. They had to use heavy strapping under the keel to support most of the boat's weight but there was still some significant oilcanning of the hull, especially in the aft sections. They tried to reposition the pads but I was still uncomfortable with the way the hull looked. I'm back to travelift only.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
After the first time, I had our yard stop using their hydraulic trailer on my 2000 H340. They had to use heavy strapping under the keel to support most of the boat's weight but there was still some significant oilcanning of the hull, especially in the aft sections. They tried to reposition the pads but I was still uncomfortable with the way the hull looked. I'm back to travelift only.
In our yard they lift boats out of the water with a crane, and place them on a hydraulic trailer for transport to the shed or storage yard. Are you saying that in yours they drive the travel lift to the storage spot?

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
This is the type of rig my boatyard operates. So the trick is knowing where to support the keel for the first haul. After that they take notes and file for each boat.
Rick,

Not sure which keel you have but there's not much of a trick to it, I have the shoal draft, they get the trailer in the water, I drive the boat up to it and when it's in the right spot they support it with the hydraulic arms and then pull it out, once it clears the water they make sure the supports under the keel are where they want them or they move them. I have never seen any oil canning as described in this thread. I had a 340 before this and had the same type trailer used. You should be able to go over to Mystic and talk to those guys, they were a really big Hunter dealer at one point.

Oct 1, 2007
Rick,

Not sure which keel you have but there's not much of a trick to it, I have the shoal draft, they get the trailer in the water, I drive the boat up to it and when it's in the right spot they support it with the hydraulic arms and then pull it out, once it clears the water they make sure the supports under the keel are where they want them or they move them. I have never seen any oil canning as described in this thread. I had a 340 before this and had the same type trailer used. You should be able to go over to Mystic and talk to those guys, they were a really big Hunter dealer at one point.
Scott:
I have the 5 ft draft wing keel. The trick is getting "the right spot". Actually reminds me of an entirely different thought.:) At my boat yard the hydraulic trailer has removable structural members which support the keel when she is hauled out. The hydraulic "arms" balance her port and starboard, but the majority of the weight load is carried through the keel to the trailer. The yard has vertical posts above the water line on the trailer for reference. The "trick" is relating the keel location on the boat to a reference point above the waterline and in turn, relating the keel supports to the actual keel location. Done once, it's a lock. My yard has no problem executing this.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Scott:
I have the 5 ft draft wing keel. The trick is getting "the right spot". Actually reminds me of an entirely different thought.:) At my boat yard the hydraulic trailer has removable structural members which support the keel when she is hauled out. The hydraulic "arms" balance her port and starboard, but the majority of the weight load is carried through the keel to the trailer. The yard has vertical posts above the water line on the trailer for reference. The "trick" is relating the keel location on the boat to a reference point above the waterline and in turn, relating the keel supports to the actual keel location. Done once, it's a lock. My yard has no problem executing this.
Do you have pictures of the boat out of the water? They could use that for reference. otherwise the drawings in the manual will work. It is a little bit of a challenge because of the wings but should be no problem.

Good luck!

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
In our yard they lift boats out of the water with a crane, and place them on a hydraulic trailer for transport to the shed or storage yard. Are you saying that in yours they drive the travel lift to the storage spot?
Yup, they haul the boat with the Travelift and then drive it in the slings to the winter storage spot. It's not that far in our marina. Only thing is that my boat is the only one stored bow in.

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
As Nodak indicates boats of this size go on trailers. Our 40.5 is hauled out with a crane and placed on her trailer for transport to the yard with a 3500 Series Ford truck. The trailer was originally built for a 1992 35.5 that we lost to a hurricane while on her moorings. Nodak had originally supplied me with measurements etc for that trailer and I subsequently modified it with a longer tongue and lowered keel shoe to fit the 40.5. We've towed the trailer which is equipped with tri-axle and 6 wheel electric brakes over the road with a tow truck with not issues.

Oct 1, 2007
Do you have pictures of the boat out of the water? They could use that for reference. otherwise the drawings in the manual will work. It is a little bit of a challenge because of the wings but should be no problem.

Good luck!
Pictures are the best. The sketches in the owner's manuals are not engineering drawings. The yard will try to reference items above the WL to the keel location. Through hull fittings or some such are not reliable. Mast, port lights more so.

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
Our 35.5 on the trailer in Maine, before the loss to the hurricane, the trailer was modified with a much longer tongue and keel step for the 40.5 but as you can see she is well supported
IMG-20140525-00219.jpg