Registered users don't see ads

Hunter 41 DS large window resealing

Discussion in 'Big Boats' started by Joe Wienecke, Oct 28, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Joe Wienecke

Joe Wienecke

Joined Jun 8, 2016
    16 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 41DS
    US Punta Gorda
    I have a 2005 Hunter 41 DS. The boat has large fixed window on each side of the saloon. See pictures. Each of these are leaking in the bottom aft corner when it rains. So I need to pull them out and re-bed them. These windows have screws on the inside holding them in place. Nothing on the outside except the Crome window edge. Before I pull one off has anyone done this already. I saw a lot on the black sealing but that is not what we have.

Attached Files:

2. patrick17440

patrick17440

Joined Jun 7, 2007
    28 posts, 0 likes
    - -
    US Newport Beach CA
    Hi Joe. I have a 2008 41DS with identical problem. The boat is in Cape Coral, so I'm
    very interested in your solution. I haven't started the repair project yet.

3. dakno

dakno

Joined Jun 22, 2009
    92 posts, 2 likes
    Hunter 41DS
    US new orleans
    I also have a 08 41ds and all of the fixed port lights in the main salon sweat/condensate profusely . Make sure what you are seeing is actual leaks and not the aluminum sweating. Both of my port and starboard forward facing fixed salon windows leak from rain in the lower outside corners. Water pools up on the exterior of both. I have cleaned/taped/caulked both and almost eliminated this but while I was cleaning one with denatured alcohol the starboard lens cracked... now I am looking for a replacement. Good luck

4. DayDreamer41

DayDreamer41

Joined Oct 29, 2016
    746 posts, 287 likes
    Hunter 41 DS
    Un Port Huron
    Can't help you with removal procedure but here is a list of vendors Hunter used

Attached Files:

5. sailor5017

sailor5017

Joined Jun 26, 2004
    129 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter 41DS
    US Point Roberts
    great info

6. TFlight

TFlight

Joined Mar 31, 2011
    50 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter 41DS
    US Pasadena, MD
    Ditto for me too.
    I have a 2007 41 DS in Annapolis, Maryland. I had a small leak in the lower left corner, same as yours, while on a week-long voyage. I was able to temporarily fix it by pushing the window outward while inserting a small amount of silicone with a syringe. It's only a matter of time before I have to pull all my windows and reseal them.

7. TFlight

TFlight

Joined Mar 31, 2011
    50 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter 41DS
    US Pasadena, MD
    Hey Joe,
    I don’t know if it’ll be any help, but I came across a couple of files I have saved pertaining to generic window/portlights resealing.
    Although silicone is rarely used for anything on boats except for poly carbonate plastic windows Down Corning makes 795 silicone that comes highly recommended. Boat Works Today has many good YouTube videos mostly on fiberglass but here is one on portlights.

Attached Files:

8. Newport Bob

Newport Bob

Joined Jun 23, 2013
    228 posts, 32 likes
    Beneteau 373
    US Newport

TFlight likes this.
  9. seadaddler

seadaddler

Joined Dec 19, 2006
    5,296 posts, 107 likes
    Hunter 36
    US Punta Gorda
    I am thinking that I read some place that Hunter used the
    Dow Corning 795 for sealing windows.
    Nick

10. seadaddler

seadaddler

Joined Dec 19, 2006
    5,296 posts, 107 likes
    Hunter 36
    US Punta Gorda
    I suggested that a friend use flex seal on his leaking windows on the out side and were leaking a few years and rather than removing his windows he did use the flex seal on the outside seams and now a happy sailor.
    I have been using flex seal on the roof of my MH and love it and it stays clean and water and weather proof for a few years now and will use on some places on my boat soon.
    Nick

11. dakno

dakno

Joined Jun 22, 2009
    92 posts, 2 likes
    Hunter 41DS
    US new orleans
    I have the same issue with my 08 and have ordered the Captain Tolley and the Flex Seal products. The problem is that the large fixed windows/lites can expand/contract a 1/4" daily. What kind of product can deal with this?

12. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    4,562 posts, 1,349 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    @dakno The 3 M tape and 795 caulk is designed for this install. The 795 is flexible even when cured.
    Watch the video.

13. JamesG161

JamesG161

Joined Feb 14, 2014
    2,390 posts, 568 likes
    Hunter 430
    US Waveland, MS
    I tried the "flex seal" TV hype stuff. UV doesn't like it and it crumbled off.

The problem is the water does not shed on the outside. I used a different outside clear sealer but the stuff in @Newport Bob post #8 sounds good for performance sealing.

No leaks since, for me.
    Jim...

14. Scott B

Scott B Moderator

Joined Sep 20, 2006
    2,498 posts, 98 likes
    Hunter 33
    CA Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
    These are from Hunter.

Attached Files:

JamesG161 likes this.
  15. artboas

artboas

Joined Jun 1, 2009
    1,047 posts, 41 likes
    Hunter 49
    ca toronto
    Ok, I have a much better way

I posted some time ago an article on how to remove a full windshield in less than 30 minutes with no damage.
    If you follow the Hunter reccomended routine of pushing in small wooden wedges, it will take hours, and likely crack the plastic.
    I suggest you lookup my post, by searching on my name as author.
    Once it's out, re-bed with Dow Corning 795

16. Scott B

Scott B Moderator

Joined Sep 20, 2006
    2,498 posts, 98 likes
    Hunter 33
    CA Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada

I vaguely remember that now, and went back to find it. I've also uploaded it to the General Downloads section as it applies to many Hunter models.

Attached Files: