Hunter 40 legend mast questions

Jan 30, 2017
Hunter legend 37 na
Was wondering how many of you have had to replace your mast. I was considering a legend 40 but the broker said they found corrosion during the last survey, so it would need a new mast, and rigging. I did not ask anything specific about the corrosion, because when I asked about the potential cost of a new mast, he stated about 20 grand for mast and rigging.
Does this sound right? And where would you get a mast?
The boat is on the gulf coast and I would be moving it to a large lake much nearer my home. Though the broker thinks the current mast would be fine on a lake, at least for a few years, if im taking it down to move it then I'd want to go ahead and replace it.
Of course I would have another survey done for any other issues, and it sounds like its been a few years since the last..
Any thought appreciated

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Would you do the work on the mast yourself, or have it done? You might just get some quotes from rigging shops, and full service boat yards. I was going to say $20k sounds high, but going through it in my head, to have it done, I can see it approaching that. I did a complete rig on a Catalina 36 tall rig 18 years ago, and probably spent $4k on parts and shipping. Maybe more. And I'm a resourceful and thrifty guy, re-used all the old fittings (that were in good shape,) but new standing rigging, and got some parts for free, like high-strength, stainless steel Cherry rivets. Spent a couple of hundred on tools, and countless hours.

Jan 30, 2017
Hunter legend 37 na
Depending on the work, I would try and do myself. Say if the corrosion area could be easily repaired, or if it were just changing out the spreaders or standing rigging, I would really try to do myself. This is mainly about how to find a new mast. I do consider myself somewhat resourceful, but this is new territory for me. Both my other boats have been catalinas. With catalinas, my problem would be easy, go to catalina direct or call catalina and order a mast. Hunter seems to have abandoned all knowledge of the older boats.