Hunter 40.5 to cross the pacific Feb 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Long beach CA - Manly Australia
Hey guys.

My partner Nikki and I purchased a 40.5 in May 2011 at Longbeach. Its time for us to finally go back to LA on the 6th of Feb. Here we will sort out any other issues and do some testing before setting off to San Diego for a longer shake down then off to the Marquesas.

I just thought I would make a thread on it in case anyone was interested. We chose the 40.5 after looking at a few boats. We liked the interior layout and cruising extras this boat had. Front head converted into tool and spares area with a 12V diesel generator. Has medium sizes solar array and davits. It came with a 11.5 foot center console caribe with 40hp. We sold this for a hansom sum and are still looking for a smaller rib.

We have had the rig and sails replaced while we were back at home in Australia. We also added a soft facnor furling screecher (cruising code zero). With the huge code 0 we no longer need a huge 130% genoa. We got a 110% jib with the foot a bit higher than the stock deck sweeper for visibility and sea keeping. This should give us a more effective choice of sails in both strong and light winds.

Our main still only has 2 reefs but they are much more aggressive. With the 2nd reef equaling closer to the sail area of a normal 3rd reed and the first reef equaling about 1.5 reefs on a 3 reef sail. Main is loose footed and has partial battens on the lower half for better ability to shape the sail via the foot tension.

We would love any advice from fellow 40.5 owners on the strengths and weaknesses of this design. Rick D and others have already been particularly helpful.

Thanks, Dennis.

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
My advice is that you invite my First Mate and me to sail to Australia with you.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Looks Good

I like your sail plan. That should give you great flexibility. We'll have to talk what spares to take, boom preventers, etc. Looking forward to meeting you and giving you whatever assist is needed for your trip home.

timvg

May 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Long Beach, CA
For reefing, we put turning blocks on the mast, just slighty below where the forward reef grommet exits. In other words, when we reef, the reefing lines pull the forward reefing point right up to the mast (turning block). The reef line then goes thru the turning block, and down to the base of the mast. This allows us to get a perfectly flat, well shaped sail when reefed.

Previously, the reefing line would go from the sail, down to the base of the mast. The sail slugs would easily break in that arrangement.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Huh. I guess you didn't have the eyes in the location you mentioned that do just that. Sounds like a very sanitary installation.

timvg

May 10, 2004
Actually, we have the eyes, but they are located on the mast right below the boom. So when we used to reef, there would be quite a bit of pressure on the sail slugs directly above the reef point. This was because the reefing line was pulling the sail down but not forward By installing the turning block, the sail is pulled down but also forward.

When you reef the sail, there are a number of sailslugs (and cars) below the reef grommet that stack above the boom. This means that the reef grommet (when reefed) is above this. So we put the turning block above the boom. When we reef, we can now get the foward reefing grommet to virtually touch the turning block. The result is that the sail slugs immediately above the reefing point don't have any pressure on them.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
Tvangrove,

If you get a chance and could take a photo of this set up I for one would love to see it.

Kind regards,
Capt. Ron

Actually, we have the eyes, but they are located on the mast right below the boom. So when we used to reef, there would be quite a bit of pressure on the sail slugs directly above the reef point. This was because the reefing line was pulling the sail down but not forward By installing the turning block, the sail is pulled down but also forward.

When you reef the sail, there are a number of sailslugs (and cars) below the reef grommet that stack above the boom. This means that the reef grommet (when reefed) is above this. So we put the turning block above the boom. When we reef, we can now get the foward reefing grommet to virtually touch the turning block. The result is that the sail slugs immediately above the reefing point don't have any pressure on them.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Great boat!!!!!

Hey guys.

My partner Nikki and I purchased a 40.5 in May 2011 at Longbeach. Its time for us to finally go back to LA on the 6th of Feb. Here we will sort out any other issues and do some testing before setting off to San Diego for a longer shake down then off to the Marquesas.

I just thought I would make a thread on it in case anyone was interested. We chose the 40.5 after looking at a few boats. We liked the interior layout and cruising extras this boat had. Front head converted into tool and spares area with a 12V diesel generator. Has medium sizes solar array and davits. It came with a 11.5 foot center console caribe with 40hp. We sold this for a hansom sum and are still looking for a smaller rib.

We have had the rig and sails replaced while we were back at home in Australia. We also added a soft facnor furling screecher (cruising code zero). With the huge code 0 we no longer need a huge 130% genoa. We got a 110% jib with the foot a bit higher than the stock deck sweeper for visibility and sea keeping. This should give us a more effective choice of sails in both strong and light winds.

Our main still only has 2 reefs but they are much more aggressive. With the 2nd reef equaling closer to the sail area of a normal 3rd reed and the first reef equaling about 1.5 reefs on a 3 reef sail. Main is loose footed and has partial battens on the lower half for better ability to shape the sail via the foot tension.

We would love any advice from fellow 40.5 owners on the strengths and weaknesses of this design. Rick D and others have already been particularly helpful.

Thanks, Dennis.
I had a 40.5 for 10 years. I loved it. We had a furling main which I greatly preferred. You said you replaced your rig. The whole spar?
Interesting choice to put genset in fwd head. What make did you go with?
The boat is simply amazing, and you will be very safe.
What type of autopilot do you have? How is your drive connected to the steering? The best setup is the rotary motor inside the center console.
I gather as you are going offshore you aren't terribly worried about your holding tank. This was a big problem on the 40.5, as they were aluminum.
Everyone eventually puts in a plastic tank from Ronco.
Your only other choice with the current setup is the mascerator. I suggest you look at a Y valve install, because the mascerators have a whole host of issues the way they were plumbed in on the 40.5
Take a good look at your windlass install, and see if it had any major corrosion, etc.
In the cockpit, remove the floor panel that exposed the steering quadrant. Check all the cabling, saddles, etc. very thoroughly.
Btw, how did you route the fuel line to the genset?

Best of luck with the trip. Keep us updated.

Fair winds and good sailing!!!

timvg

May 10, 2004
40.5 Reefing Photo

Here is how we have our forward reefing set up. The reefing line (that you see going thru the turning block) goes down to the base of the mast and back to the cockpit.

Attachments

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Re: 40.5 Reefing Photo

Very nice!

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
But his set up means that no one has to go forward to take the reef. Looks like a sweet setup.

Jun 5, 2009
Hunter, 2001 380 Sea of Cortez
Hi Dennis,

Looks like our idea is not that original... we are also crossing the Pacific this year in our Hunter. Just a wee bit smaller our boat measures 38'.

You should check out this link http://www.pacificpuddlejump.com/fleet.html... it will at least save you the bond in French Polynesia. That is $1800 per person savings!

Also take a close look at your chain plates, we are replacing ours.

Hopefully we will see you sometime this spring...

Mike
www.pacificsailors.com

Sep 27, 2011
Hey guys.

We have been on the boat for one week now. We have met up with RickD and his wife who have been a great help and good company.

The boat came packed full of spares and equipment we dont need. We must have discarded about 5 carts of gear. It has been taking quite a long time to sort it all out because most of it is relevant gear. have been careful to keep the most useful items such as engine filters etc. But we need to fit our own gear and food somewhere.

I converted all the lights to LEDs which I got cheap off ebay. Most of my LEDs cost around $1. They seem to work great and with almost all 20 or so of them running at once it uses about 6 amps, where previously 3 used 6amps. The major power drawers will be the fridge and freezer which use about 10A. I am not sure what the chain driver Autohelm. I will have to get back on the exact model. I think its a 5000.

As for the gen set. Its an Apollo Diesel but with a 12v alternator on it rather than 110V. Which personally I think is better than 110 specially for me as we use 240V in Australia. It uses much less fuel and charges at a higher rate than the yanmar. I did not install it. It came with the boat and was an attractive feature. It is mounted it the forward head compartment which is now the ships garage. The 18G tank is mounted aft of the forward head bulkhead under the lounge.

We have fitted our new main, genoa and done one test run on the furling screecher (at the dock) with the soft luff rope and facnor furler. We have not fitted the reefing lines to the main yet but I like the idea of blocks on the mast. I actually have turning 2 blocks which came with the spares on the boat which may be suitable.

Hopefully soon we will have the boat in a state of order which will allow us to leave the dock and do some sailing. We have just joined the puddle jump! Our chainplates appear solid and of a construction technique will looks almost bomb proof. I will have to take a look at the windlass for corrosion. But it has an isolation switch so I hope it has not been subjected to any stray currents.

One area of concern is my battery bank. I have 4 trojan T145 6V which were new 2 years ago. Our boat was moved from Alimitos to Wilmington for a cheaper rate while we waited back in Australia by our broker. I mentioned that the charging systems should be checked for correct operation before leaving the boat, but I came back to it with the radios and other gear running and the AC main breaker off so there was no charging. The batteries were flat. I charged them for 4 days with the oversized heart charger/inverter and done a load test on them with fridge and freezer plus a few lights. I was down to 11.8V in 14 hours and the E meter registered only 180ah, which is not close to the 480 they are rated to.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Oh yea, it does appear as if the batteries are kaput; too bad, Trojan T145's are expensive. The Sam's Club Exide batteries I have are rated the same as a Trojan T105 but are only $80 each. Good luck!

I sent you an e-mail with the prop and genset information. Glad you joined the puddle jump; good company for your trip.

We will see you again before your trip. Don't hesitate to ask for any assistance. Marlyn and I and Tim and Susan enjoyed meeting you and Nikki, and once again, congratulations on a good purchase and an exciting voyage, especially when you are young enough to do it freely. You two are smart!

timvg

May 10, 2004
Dennis and Nikki: Susan and I enjoyed meeting both of you and hope to hear all about your ocean "cruise". Glad you are considering the turning blocks at the mast for reefing. Since you undoubtedly will do a LOT of reefing and de-reefing in your crossing, I can't recommend this enough.

Tim and Susan

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Yea, Tim; someday I'll have to take a look at yours.

timvg

May 10, 2004
Rick: Unfortunately after seeing all of that gorgeous woodwork that you have done in your cabin, we can't let you inside our boat until we do a little catch up. :)

Sep 27, 2011
Tim if you like woodwork you need to see our boat. The previous owner was a woodworking hobbiest and was very good at it. We have almost to visible gelcoat inside the boat. Its all teak. It was great meeting you and Susan too!

Rick. I received your email. Thanks for that! I will look into getting the parts for the Apollo. I will see how the current prop goes. If it seems OK I will just keep it. If not I may get the folding unit. Please tell me more about these batteries? Do you have any specs on them? The T145s have a reserve capacity @ 25 amps: 488. The T105s are 447, which I guess is not that much lower. So if I get the ones you used and they are similar that means it will cost me $320 rather than $800. Are they rated as traction batteries? I figure by the time we are done our cruise they will have completed over 500 cycles. So they do need to hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.