Hunter 386 at anchor

Feb 24, 2014
hunter 260 clearwater
hello all!
I am looking hard at this model to retire and live aboard. Having a 260 that wanders severely at anchor and reading a review of a newer 38 behaving the same, I want to know if a 386 stays pointed or wanders. That may be a deal breaker. I use both an anchor bridle and an anchor riding sail on my 260 which cut the swing in half, but its still a lot.
thanks

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The 260 is a CB or wing keel? Raise the CB, if it has one. Next thing I would look at is your rudder position. Try putting the rudder down and centered. Then, consider your scope ratio. Do you swing more at anchor then on a mooring? Try increasing score. The last two things I would consider is 1) hull trim, are you listing slightly? Are you bow heavy?
2) Deck and rigging layout. Is there a significant wind resistant load on one side? A dinghy, anything that could unbalance the airflow? Is the swinging worse on windy days or in a current?
Hunters seem to have a consistant reputation for this. I find no images of the 386 below the waterline but the 260 wing keel looks like lateral resistance is forward and that would contribute.
Good luck, sorry I can't be of more help.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Good luck finding a boat that doesn't wander. And if you do, get VERY friendly with the others in the anchorage.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
You probably should assume that it will wander/swing/yaw at anchor because basically all of these beamy sloops with high freeboards, fin keels, and spade rudders do so. Even some of the narrower full-keel sloops and cutters do so as well. About the only sailboats that do not, or at least not much, are your classic yawls and ketches; particularly yawls, where one can hoist the mizzen sail far aft to stabilize the boat. You can try to control the amplitude of the yawing in basically the three ways that I've tried. 1) Use all chain rode which restricts the range of movement of the boat in light to medium winds; 2) Moor the boat with a bow and stern anchor; 3) Hoist a riding sail to act in similar manner as the mizzen sail of the yawl or ketch. Of those methods, the descending order of effectiveness is (2), then (3), then (1). In descending order of PIA score, it's also (2), then (3), then (1). There are other ways reported as well; you mention one--the bridle. A variation of that is the so-called Pardey bridle, where a line is run from a stern cleat to the anchor rode and cinched up to the point where the boat lies at a low angle to the wind direction. Essentially, one side faces the wind all of the time; this pressure keeps the boat from yawing much.

You probably do not see much bow and stern anchoring in FL but it's fairly common here in Southern California, regrettably. It does make sense here, however, because the wind usually blows from one direction most of the day and for many days on end, although it may die down each night. So, it's possible to moor the boat with bow toward the wind and that will usually remain the wind direction if there is any. If it does come from another direction it is usually light. FL is much different from my experience. There, the wind can blow at any time from just about any direction at any strength. Mooring is less feasible (dependable) for "comfort." So, might not be a good option.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
A riding sail rigged as far aft as possible will help.. The problem is that there is more "sail area" (bow and forward cabin and mast and roller furl and other stuff like that) in front of the center of keel resistance.(CLR).. so ya need to add some sail area as far aft as possible to try to get to "weather vane" Bimini with side curtains helps..

Feb 24, 2014
hunter 260 clearwater
thanks for the replies. i really want to hear from a 386 owner though. i'm not worried about my 260, there is nothing more to be done. The thing is, when i vacation on it for a couple of weeks in the Keys or Bahamas, I go from anchorage to anchorage, sometimes with 50 other boats. I watch modern sloops at anchor, many many times observe their arrival and anchoring process, note their scope and rode. Pretty much every boat points the same and stays that way while mine dances every 90 sec or so. I was surprised to hear the 38 did this. I have only personally observed this behavior on other boats in my 25 years of sailing that i can count on one hand.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
thanks for the replies. i really want to hear from a 386 owner though. i'm not worried about my 260, there is nothing more to be done. The thing is, when i vacation on it for a couple of weeks in the Keys or Bahamas, I go from anchorage to anchorage, sometimes with 50 other boats. I watch modern sloops at anchor, many many times observe their arrival and anchoring process, note their scope and rode. Pretty much every boat points the same and stays that way while mine dances every 90 sec or so. I was surprised to hear the 38 did this. I have only personally observed this behavior on other boats in my 25 years of sailing that i can count on one hand.
Are you using chain in the 260?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
380 /386 pretty much the same,as said I cruise with 10/20 boats at a time some times and most complain as you do and I have found lots of chain that lays down with less angled scope really helps.
Nick

Feb 24, 2014
hunter 260 clearwater
all chain rode may be the answer then. I see a mostly rope off bows of the boats I've anchored with, but there is no telling how much chain is out. I use 30 ft of 3/16 chain and the rest 1/2" anchor rope on my 260. I often do 9:1 in 6 to 7 ft of water because the wagging breaks the anchor free at less scope. I recently switched from fluke to Rocna and have had less drama, but not drama-free.
yeah I checked all the reviews before posting the question...nothing mentioned.
thanks again for the quick replies!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I carry 100’ of chain and here in Florida use about 50’ when anchored in less than 10 feet of water.
Nick

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our P42 sashays at anchor whenever there is wind present and will increase with the strength of the wind. Like with most things with our boat, I just deal with it. I've never tried this but, a technique worth considering is to use a bridle, formed by taking a line forward from the aft quarter of your boat to the anchor rode and made fast with a shackle or rolling hitch about a boatlength forward from the bow. This can be used to bring the bow into the swell, but it will put significant extra load on the anchor, so it should only be used in settled conditions.

Some more tips here:
http://www.pbo.co.uk/seamanship/anchoring-6-tips-for-tricky-situations-21085

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I use 30 ft of 3/16 chain and the rest 1/2" anchor rope on my 260. I often do 9:1 in 6 to 7 ft of water because the wagging breaks the anchor free at less scope.
This might be one component of your problem. Go to 30' ft of at least 1/4" chain. Reduce your initial scope to 5 or 6:1 unless there are strong conditions, or go to all chain. I used 15 ft 3/8" chain and 1/2" nylon three-strand on my Pearson 30; 10 kg genuine Bruce. You should not need so much scope unless you are facing rollers. Anchored up close behind the FL barrier islands, or in protected waters, 5 or 6:1 is enough. The boat will still swing/yaw; but, you won't be all over the place.

Last edited:

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
I own a H376 (similar to 386) with 150’ chain + 150’ nylon. So my anchoring is mostly always chain. My 376 does sail at anchor. I’ve wondered if a anchor sail aft would help but never have tried one.
Bob

Feb 24, 2014
hunter 260 clearwater
bummer
so chain doesn't cure it. about what angle does it skew from the wind?
thanks for the feedback Bob

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Peeps, even if the bow of the boat is tied to a piling, it is still going to pivot as long as it has a pivot/hinge point. So a ton of chain will not stop the boat from swinging. An anchor sail of the proper size will be your best bet. That's how wind vanes always point into the wind.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
use about 50’ when anchored in less than 10 feet of water
But you don't have tides! I carry 350 feet and that's minimal for this coast. Tidal range is 15' on the south and 25' further north. If I anchored in Russel Arm (near Prince Rupert) in 10 feet at low tide I would need 200feet of rode to maintain 5:1. If I did it at high tide I wouldn't need an anchor at all after about 40min.