Hunter 380 Running Rigging Questions

Jun 2, 2017
Hunter 380 Solomons, MD
I'm ordering new running rigging based off a Hunter 380 spec sheet. A few questions:
1. Do the lengths listed take into account the necessary splices? For example, if the jib halyard is listed at 114 ft, do I need to add a few feet, to say, 117?
2. There's no length listed for the main furling line (endless loop on my Selden mast). Any ideas how long this should be?
3. There's no length listed for the outhaul. Any ideas how long it should be?

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I just finished doing all my Running Rigging lines on my 2000 340.
I had all mine made at Defender Marine in CT, they had the best prices for all the lines you might want and for any upgraded lines you might want to do. Wait for one of their many sales and it gets even cheaper, there's one right now until mid June I believe.
As far as the lengths go for any Eye Splices, they require adding an extra foot to the needed length, this depends on the size of the eye you need.
All my Eye Splices were 3/4 inch.
I added a foot more to all the lengths, so your 114 foot Jib should be 115. I don't think you would need much bigger than 3/4 inch eyes.
And your right, as good as the Hunter Manual is, it does omit the Outhaul length.
Mine (original) just barely reached into the cockpit. I just doubled the boom length and now it's more than enough.
I can't help you with the Main Furling line.
Unless you plan on climbing the mast anyways and replacing the lines by feeding them down. You could sew another smaller line to the end and pull the original through and just measure it, then pull it back through again. Just go easy with this process and sew tight and use thin rigging tape to hold the ends together as you don't want to break it apart up in the pulley. I had to do this for my Outhaul Line as it was to short and I needed the extra length or I would lose it in the boom.
I replaced all mine by sewing the old and new lines together and gently pulling them through. You just need to cut the old line eyes off, use a hot knife to blunt the end and sew the new line on.
It's not a bad project to do on those days when you aren't out sailing because the weather just isn't right. Take your time with it.
Hope this helped.

Nov 26, 2016
Hunter 38 Gananoque, Ontario
Timely info as I am doing this too. Dumb question about the endless loop furling line - does this need to be spliced at the boat after routing it or is there some way to route a pre-spliced line? My manual lists a length for this line by the way but it is listed as having normal ends which I assume is possible if you don't mind the excess line hanging there.

Jun 2, 2017
Hunter 380 Solomons, MD
I took some measurements yesterday and came up with 36 for the furling line. Mine's a little short right now, so I'm adding 4 feet so it's easier to fit into the winch. I'd assume that line has to be spliced once it's on, as I can't think of a way to get it onto the system as a continuous loop.

What length does your manual list for the outhaul? I came up with 67 feet, but am planning on adding 8 feet just in case. Better to be a little long than too short.

I'm also not positive on the line size for the furling line. Thinking it's either 5/16 or 3/8? I know 7/16 is too big.

May 17, 2014
hunter 380 Plano, TX
I just replaced running rigging on my 380 while I had the mast down. New spinnaker and jib halyards I made sure would reach the cockpit just in case. I also had an open set of sheaves at the top and ran a utility line from the cockpit to the top and down. I have already it used going up the mast to tune it. What I really need to find now are the nylon rollers under the turtle shell and replace them as a couple are broken

Nov 26, 2016
Hunter 38 Gananoque, Ontario
The 2005 manual for the H38 lists the following:

Furling Line - 3/8 44ft End1: bare End2: bare
Outhaul - 3/8 79ft End1: eye End2: bare

Perhaps the furling line is 44' rather than 36' because it is not specified as circular which would allow it to be shorter. Mine is circular but I have not measured it. Yes I assumed you have to either splice it yourself or pay someone to come down to the boat to do it.

The 2007 H38 manual (which matches my boat) has no table of running rigging! It is an almost useless manual in which every page has 2 or 3 "Warning", "Caution" or "Danger" boxes with such useful messages as "Don't stick your hand in the bow thruster" and "Don't drink the battery acid" (I paraphrased a bit). Thus I found out why the previous owner of my boat had a copy of the 2005 manual on board which is much better.

Jun 2, 2017
Hunter 380 Solomons, MD
Thanks for the lengths microsnout. That's interesting on the 3/8 for the outhaul as well. I think mine is 7/16 and now I'm wondering if it being oversized is why it's pretty hard to deploy from too much friction.

Planoron, I also need to locate the nylon rollers under the turtle shell. The ones that run along my main furling line are worn down to the metal, I guess from too much heat. If you find a source for those, please let me know.

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter -340 Milwaukee, Wi.
Another question on lines. I am replacing my boom vang line on the Hunter 340. What size and type of line should I get?

Sep 26, 2008
Don,
I replaced my Boom Vang line on my 2000 340 with:
Samson XLS Yacht Braid 5/16 inch with 1 - 3/4 Eye Splice added on one end.
I used 28 feet of this new line which now allows me the easily handle it in the cockpit. The original line was just to short.
Hope this helps

John

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter -340 Milwaukee, Wi.
Thanks so much. Just your thoughts...do you think the Samson WarpSpeed II is a good choice, or way overkill?

Sep 26, 2008
If your racing, cruising long distances, single handed sailing maybe the extra grip and handling Warpspeed offers is a better option. The line definitely handles better, but it all in what your real needs are.
For my type and distance of sailing the XLS handles perfect.