Hunter 380 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lon Gordon

I am considering the purchase of a 2000 Hunter 380 I would like to hear honest comments from current or past owners of this boat .... either pro or con Thanks in advance

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
check the reviews

Go to the Boat Info tab and click on the 380 (also the 376). You should find quite a few owner reviews there. Enjoy!

L

Les Blackwell

I have a 1999 Hunter 380

We bought a new Hunter 380 from Signature Yachts in Seattle in January of 1999 and received it in June of that year. Since that time we have cruised many miles averaging about fifty five days a summer on the water. I also taught sailing to two sections of USPS students on the boat as well as two commercial sail classes. The boat sails well and is easy for one person or a couple to sail (I've had nine different boats, the last four being Hunters). I like the furling main and jib and prefer the B&R rig. The sugar scoop stern is good for us long in tooth to be able to get into the dinghy in a dignified manner. I put a Max prop on the boat and it cruises at approximately 7 knts. The newer boats come with a slightly larger engine so should do about 7 and a quarter kntts. The interior suits us fine. But we did change the galley faucett but I've heard Hunter has already done that in the new ones. Our boat came with a number of problems--it took us about a year to figure out the problem with the freezer/refirig which kept developing much frost and wouldn't get cold. We finally found a large void in the top back of both the freezer and the refrig which we foamed. The electrical kept frying our engine battery and we found it incorrectly hooked up. We now use golf cart batteries, a different charger, a combiner and a smart regulator. We now can spend three to five days on the hook without starting the engine. We also added an anchor windless. I enjoy the Hunter 380 and at the moment do not intend to sell or trade this one in. It is an excellent cruising boat and an excellent value for the boat itself. If you have specific questions, feel free to contact me through this website. I'm listed. Les Blackwell Hunter 380 Trumpeter Sailing out of Bellingham, WA

B

Bill Saint

My 2000 380 is Great

In the same boat as you (no pun intended!). I bought my 2000 380 late this winter and have enjoyed more than I thought possible. Great boat in all aspects - accomodations below, sail handling, cockpit function and comfort and many well thought-out options and accessories by Hunter. This is my fifth boat and fourth Hunter and I finally feel like it might be it for a long while. Like Les, (who I thank for many great ideas and guideance), I too added the Max Prop, worth every dollar - backing this boat straight with ease has great value! Buy it - you won't be disappointed. Bill Saint sv Satisfaction III Charlotte, NC

B

Bob F

My 376

Bought a lightly used 1998 376 2 years ago. Only one complaint is the anchor rode hawspipe. Rode gets hung up in hawspipe during retrival with windlass. But I think that was changed on the 380. My 376 is a bit tender, need to reef over 16-17 knots. Other than those 2 very minor notes I love the boat. Lots of room, very comfortable. Also very easy to handle by a couple. I even singlehand occasionally. Good Luck Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.