Hunter 37C Database - HELP NEEDED!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the forum Troy and Erin. Congrats on the new to you boat.
Share your tales of adventure. We tend to enjoy living the experience of you sun worshipers during the winter chill faced by many on this site.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Hi Troy and Erin,
I'll second the 'welcome aboard'. Nice to hear Bill and Mary's prize has fallen into good hands. Cool web site BTW. I have updated the database to reflect #36's new name, owners, and home port. PM me with an email address if you want a copy of the database.
Best wishes for smooth seas,
Jim
H37Cutter "CALYPSO"

Jun 8, 2004
The Hunter 37C database shows about a dozen of our boats in North and South Carolina...hope you folks are safe and weathering the storm. Prayers and best wishes for everyone in the grips of Hurricane Florence.

Dec 9, 2017
Hunter 37c Barrington, RI
Hi there, My name is Mike. I consider myself a new owner of the venerable 37 cutter, but then I realize I bought my girl in July 2017, and here it is...2019. So it's coming up on two blissful years of ownership. I've been meaning to make this post since I purchased her, but aluminum holding tanks, ancient electrical panels, copious leakage through seemingly every hole on the boat, and other such matters seems to have gotten in the way.

Anyways, according to the owners list I have seen, my girl has never been on this list.

Her previous name was..........."Adam's Apple," and has been berthed in Maine, Portland area from, I believe, around 2000-2017.
I have thoroughly checked her over, and I assure you that she is truly my girl, and not in disguise. Not that there's anything wrong with that, to each their own. I actually just watched The Birdcage recently, so this is somewhat fitting.

I digress...Here are her particulars -
Hull# HUN37172M80G
Name - Fortuna
Home Port - Barrington, RI
Name - Mike Colarusso

Jun 8, 2004
Hi Mike, thanks for the info! I have entered Fortuna's details in the database if you want a copy of the database (Excel spreadsheet), send me your email via PM or contact me at jameslegere[at]eastlink[dot]ca.

Apr 27, 2015
Hunter 37 Cutter Perth Amboy
Jim
HUN37386M84J belongs to Jim Dry Hailing Port Branchburg, NJ. Name is the same Windseeker. Please update the database
Thanks
Jim

Jun 8, 2004
Hi Jim, I updated Windseeker's home port to Branchburg NJ. I don't know if Ed Allen still watches this forum, but I know he was pretty pleased that you resurrected his old boat and still kept the same name. Thanks for the update...fair winds!

Apr 27, 2015
Thanks Jim
I still have the original mast, now powder coated and kind of straight, (with rigging adjustments). I'm keeping her afloat to tell her many stories. She now has a new rudder and cables after being damaged in a violent storm last year. New lifelines, toe rail, refurbished bow and stern rails, and AWLGRIP dress, she'll be ready to go for another 10 years. Hopefully I'll get to NS to show her off to you. Fair winds to you as well.
Jim

Jan 22, 2008
Cherubini 37c HULL#37 Alameda
Buenas Noches,

HUN37037M79D 37 1979 D ‐ Nov 1978 Autumn Breeze is owned now by Paddy & Christine Dailey of Alameda California where she is berthed. We've owned her for almost 3 years and are in the process of getting her ready to sail to The Sea Cortez. Thanks.

Jun 8, 2004
Muchas gracias Paddy.
Your listing in the Hunter 37 Cutter database is up to date. Thanks. Hope you have great sailing in the Sea of Cortez. There are probably other H37Cs there - Seazure lists La Paz as home port & Kaleidoscope is listed as being in San Carlos. As well, there is a Cherubini H36 from Canada called Gudgeon that is currently in Mazatlan, so keep an eye out for sister ships and kissing cousins!
Best wishes, Jim

Jun 8, 2004
Well its official. I just got back from talking with the insurance surveyor and my beloved Calypso has been declared a constructive total loss as a result of damage sustained during Hurricane Dorian's visit to Nova Scotia two weeks ago. I will
be updating the database to reflect this.

We had a month-long cruise of over 750 nm this August and were on our way back to our home waters of St. Margaret's Bay when Dorian appeared headed for mainland Nova Scotia. We could not get home before the storm arrived so we put into a deep, protected bay called Ship Harbour to weather the storm. We have old friends living there, so we were able to weather the hurricane safely in their house. The next morning we found that Calypso had dragged her two anchors and was on the shore, holed by a rock. She was finally recovered with a 110 tonne crane and delivered to our home marina by truck. Today we got the news that repair costs would exceed the assessed value of the boat, so I guess we are waiting for a cheque at this point...I'd rather have a boat.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
What a shame. Very sorry to hear. Makes me wonder if they give you a check, is that enough money plus a bit more perhaps to rebuild the boat? Could that be an option?

dj

Jun 8, 2004
Thanks. The boat has serious hull damage that would require removal of much of the interior for access to make repairs. On this generation of Hunter that means cutting into the 'floor pan' structure and then repairing it afterward. The electrical panel was immersed in salt water, so all that needs replacing as well. The insurance cheque would certainly cover materials and then some, but the labour costs would be crazy, unless I did it all myself...and I'm no spring chicken anymore. I'll be sailing again sooner if I just buy another boat. But I had her for 18 years, so there's a lot of love and sweat equity in her...

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2015
Hi Jim
As I mentioned earlier my Windseeker was called a total loss last year from a violent storm in the Raritan River. I bought it back after determining it was seaworthy and after investing a few dollars over the insurance check, Windseeker is back in the water. New Rudder, toerail and lifelines plus bow and stern rails were replaced. For me it was well worth it, and after what this boat has gone through it is satisfying to sail her once again. Best of luck with a new boat. I'm sure Calypso's memories will stay with you forever.
Jim Dry

Jun 8, 2004
Thanks Jim. Yup, eighteen years of good memories. Once the insurance is settled, I will probably put a few things up in the Classifieds section here - stuff that may be of use to other Hunter 37 Cutter owners...stay tuned. The yard will probably end up parting out the boat for the insurance company, so there may be a complete rig with mast and booms, stanchions, etc. as well - I will try and get a list from them when that happens to post here. And I'll keep maintaining the H37C database for the time being.

Oct 2, 2019
Hunter Cherubini 37 Luperon, Dominican Republic
SVDestiny - 1981 37C HUN37212M81C recently purchased by Robert Dalton, moored in Luperon, DR.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
Hey, Robert! Thanks for the info and welcome aboard. I have added Destiny to the database (yours is the 139th hull entered). More than a third of all the Hunter 37 Cutters built are now accounted for...thanks!

If you want a copy of the database, PM me or drop an email to jameslegere[at]eastlink[dot]ca.