Registered users don't see ads

Hunter 376 holding tank clogged

Discussion in 'Marine Plumbing and Sanitation' started by reinesj1, Nov 10, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. reinesj1

reinesj1

Joined Jul 29, 2013
    5 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter Hunter 376
    US Guayama
    Please advice your experiences with clogged tank pipe thru macerator

2. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,422 posts, 305 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    I need a few more details. What exactly is happening when you turn on the macerator...Does it run, but doesn't pull anything out of the tank? Does it start but then shut down? Have you tried to pump out via the deck pumpout fitting?

It may not be a clogged discharge...a blocked tank vent is much more common and would prevent anything from being pulled out...that would also pressurize the system. So...when you flush the toilet, does everything go down without a problem, or does the toilet "burp" and/or back up? If the toilet is a manual toilet, has it gotten harder to pump?

So please describe in detail exactly what happens when you flush and also when you start the macerator pump.

3. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    5,623 posts, 368 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    Flush it with fresh water after use so the solids do not solidify.

4. reinesj1

reinesj1

Joined Jul 29, 2013
    5 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter Hunter 376
    US Guayama
    Thanks for your response. The macerator runs well, I have clean the tank already and vent was unclogged also. This happened after Hurricane Maria. The boat battled well the hurricane. Also the toilet is also clogged.

5. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,422 posts, 305 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    It's sounding like the tank vent is still blocked...which would also account for what seems like a clogged toilet. 'Cuz if air in the tank displaced by incoming waste can't escape out the vent, the tank becomes pressurized...the toilet becomes harder and harder to pump and flushes back up. That will also cause a pumpout or macerator pump to pull a vacuum that won't allow it to pull out more than about a gallon.

Vent blockages, especially on sailboats, typically occur in two locations--the vent thru-hull and the other end of the vent line...both that end of the hose and the vent fitting on the tank. So if you only cleaned out the tank vent thru-hull, you still need to clean out the other end. Open the deck pumpout cap to relieve any pressure before removing the vent line from the fitting.

If that doesn't solve both problems, we may need to arrange a Skype call to explore all this in more detail than is practical in a forum. If so, send me a PM and we'll go from there.

6. reinesj1

reinesj1

Joined Jul 29, 2013
    5 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter Hunter 376
    US Guayama
    Thanks for your assistance. I already open the tank thru the sounder. Air pressure what’s eliminated. When problem stated the tank was pressurized. Internet conection very poor after Hurricane Maria. My phone is 7872487219

7. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,422 posts, 305 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    Tried calling but was answered by a recording (woman's voice) in Spanish. Since my Spanish vocabulary is limited to Por Favor, Gracias and Donde la bagno por senoras, it might work better if you call me...I'll give you my number is a private message.

Rick likes this.
  8. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    3,367 posts, 658 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Peggie... you need to expand your vocabulary to include:
    Tequila
    Tacos
    Enchilada
    Cerveza

9. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,422 posts, 305 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    You mean those aren't English words????

jssailem likes this.
  10. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    3,367 posts, 658 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Maybe... Depends on the accent you use.

11. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,422 posts, 305 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    Btw...we had a good phone conversation (fortunately his English is a LOT better than my Spanish!). All of his problems developed after his boat rode out Maria without damage in a hurricane hole and turned out to be a result of sediment being forced up open thru-hulls (right thing to do in this case) that created multiple problems. This was a new set of circumstances for me...I'll let him post how well my recommended solutions worked out. Hopefully he'll also share some of the photos he sent me.

Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!