Hunter 36 - Wheel Cover Repair - Recommended Thread?

Sep 19, 2017
Hunter 36 Keyport, NJ
Hi! We have a 2008 hunter 36...the wheel is suede with machine stitching holding it together. The cross stitching is disintegrating. As a sewer, I know the importance of the right kind of thread. What will weather the elements without cutting through the machine stitching? This will be a winter project :)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Look at sailrite. They have several that will do the job. As usual the best is most expensive. But you need to match the remaining life of the material

Les

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I have a leather cover from "Boat Leather" in Washington State. boatleather.com
They are a great company to do business with and very accommodating. Check their web site for grades and styles of leather.
I met them years ago at the Newport International Boat Show here in Rhode Island, back then (maybe 7 years ago) , $120 or so (probably more now), they offered cushioned covers or just a leather wrap.
I did what your planning to do also, it was a nice winter project. I even made a stand so I could hold the wheel in front of me while I stitched it together.
Take your sail gloves off the boat for this project, you'll need them. It's a very tight stitch.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
RE, have you - or anyone else- considered the coating of the wheel by dipping it in some type of rubber coating? I saw it at the boat show, but wonder if it is a good idea? Don't recall the name o the company, though.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Chip, that is some fine work.
I have wondered about the covering of a wheel. These are generally stainless wheels. What happens when you cover them? Do create an opportunity for the stainless to rust?

Oct 22, 2014
Chip, thank you for the link.. Neat site. It is a visit into a nearly lost seamanship skill. A way of passing time during a watch that was before the iPhone or iPad.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Chip, that is some fine work.
I have wondered about the covering of a wheel. These are generally stainless wheels. What happens when you cover them? Do create an opportunity for the stainless to rust?
My boat came with a wrap, (See pic below) but it wore out after we had owned her a year. I cut off, and there was no rust. I am planning on replacing it at some point.

2014-10-05 14.48.40.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
My wheel came with a 4in section of wrap showing the rudder a midships. Some day I plan to extend or replace it. It is a skill I would like to develop. Thank you for the links.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I put on a Flemish wrap about 8 years ago. No rust and pressure washing cleans it up nicely. Used a turks head not to id the rudder amidships position. Used 2 turks head knots to id 3 degrees rudder port and starboard for optimum sail balance.

Attachments