Hunter 356 Zinc Bonding

JohnSn

Feb 19, 2011
Hunter 356 51111 Dana Point,CA
The mechanical connection to the arch is better seen here
AF3847B7-D138-4042-B5A3-51A4CDE64E31.jpeg

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Ahhh, got it! clever design - my radar mast mounts on the swim platform just outboard of the locker lid, with a brace to the pushpit rail.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I am sure if you look under where the arch bolts under the fiberglass you will find a ground
wire and saw a ground wire on my rear starboard arch.
Nick

JohnSn

Feb 19, 2011
Thanks Nick,
Are you saying you have a ground wire from the starboard arch? Thats what I have. But, mine is clearly not factory wiring. As I understand it, no one else has one.

I did disconnect the arch ground wire and tested the performance of the radio and radar. They both worked fine. So the ground wire doesnt appear to be required as a ground plane. Nor is it needed for lightning protection. So, it looks like a bad idea to have the arch ground wire.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I went to the Hunter factory to watch how they build boats and never did any bonding to thru hulls and never seen bonding on other boats.
There are contact with Hunter works here on this forum.

JohnSn

Feb 19, 2011
Thanks to Joe from right here at the Forums, we have a lot more answers.
On the Hunter 356, the compression post, chainplates and arch all have ground wires leading to the keel studs.
The connection to the arch is behind the headliner access panel on the starboard berth headliner (refer to owners manual page 44B).
I'll need to double check that the factory ground wire is in place, but my theory is that the previous owner's boat yard didn't know where the wire was, so they added one. But, did it sloppily.
Thanks Seadaddler for pointing me to Joe!

JohnSn

Feb 19, 2011
It's been a while, but I did check behind the headliner access panel. There is no factory ground wire in place. I also checked at the keel. There are only connections for 3 wires there. So, my vessel now has no ground wire connected to the arch (because I removed the aftermarket one), but one is required as per the manual.
Attached is a picture of the bonding wire connection to the keel. There are only 3 wires there- one for each shroud and one that goes forward to the mast and forestay.

Could someone check to see if there is a ground wire connected to the arch behind their headliner access panel (far starboard stern corner of aft berth)? If there is, could you check to see if there are 4 wires connected to your keel? And could you try to figure out the routing for the arch ground wire?
Thanks!
Keel Bonding wires.jpg

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
When I installed electric winches at the helm and had to remove the propane fiberglass tub
also and did see the factory green ground wire going to a arch bolt.
My boat is listed as 2007 but was built in 2006.
Nick

Threed

May 4, 2018
Hunter 38 San Pedro
I just had to go into the back of my 2008 Hunter 38, removing the panel above the stern berth. I did find a heavy green wire labeled arch ground, with a big lug on the end. This is right next to the propane tub on the port side. It was hanging in mid air and not connected to anything. I've been trying to find out if it should be connected anywhere, but haven't found anything. There is an arch ground listed on the schematics for the boat.