Registered users don't see ads

Hunter 356 Zinc Bonding

Discussion in 'Mid-Size Boats' started by JohnSn, Dec 21, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. JohnSn

JohnSn

Joined Feb 19, 2011
    16 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 356
    51111 US Dana Point,CA
    The mechanical connection to the arch is better seen here
    AF3847B7-D138-4042-B5A3-51A4CDE64E31.jpeg

2. chuckwayne

chuckwayne

Joined Mar 20, 2004
    1,500 posts, 50 likes
    Hunter 356 and 216
    US Portland, ME
    Ahhh, got it! clever design - my radar mast mounts on the swim platform just outboard of the locker lid, with a brace to the pushpit rail.

3. seadaddler

seadaddler

Joined Dec 19, 2006
    5,466 posts, 137 likes
    Hunter 36
    US Punta Gorda
    I am sure if you look under where the arch bolts under the fiberglass you will find a ground
    wire and saw a ground wire on my rear starboard arch.
    Nick

4. JohnSn

JohnSn

Joined Feb 19, 2011
    16 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 356
    51111 US Dana Point,CA
    Thanks Nick,
    Are you saying you have a ground wire from the starboard arch? Thats what I have. But, mine is clearly not factory wiring. As I understand it, no one else has one.

I did disconnect the arch ground wire and tested the performance of the radio and radar. They both worked fine. So the ground wire doesnt appear to be required as a ground plane. Nor is it needed for lightning protection. So, it looks like a bad idea to have the arch ground wire.

5. seadaddler

seadaddler

Joined Dec 19, 2006
    5,466 posts, 137 likes
    Hunter 36
    US Punta Gorda
    I went to the Hunter factory to watch how they build boats and never did any bonding to thru hulls and never seen bonding on other boats.
    There are contact with Hunter works here on this forum.

6. JohnSn

JohnSn

Joined Feb 19, 2011
    16 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 356
    51111 US Dana Point,CA
    Thanks to Joe from right here at the Forums, we have a lot more answers.
    On the Hunter 356, the compression post, chainplates and arch all have ground wires leading to the keel studs.
    The connection to the arch is behind the headliner access panel on the starboard berth headliner (refer to owners manual page 44B).
    I'll need to double check that the factory ground wire is in place, but my theory is that the previous owner's boat yard didn't know where the wire was, so they added one. But, did it sloppily.
    Thanks Seadaddler for pointing me to Joe!