Hunter 356 Bluewater Capable?

Dec 8, 2014
Hunter 356 Lewes
Hi Owners,

My wife and I are planning to leave for a nice bluewater cruise in March from Delaware. We are currently planning to sail from Delaware to San Francisco through Panama but do not want to feel restrained if we decide to hop across the Pacific.

I bought our Hunter 356 as a step between our old Cal 25 and a larger bluewater boat but I am having second thoughts about moving on from the hunter. The boat serves all of our coastal sailing needs and is very comfortable - fun to sail.

So here is the question. Any 356 owners with significant bluewater experience? Any recommended upgrades to take my 356 out for a circumnavigation? Any reasons to move on to a dedicated bluewater boat? Anybody have spares for sale :dance:

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
Best of luck on your adventure. Hunters of all sizes have traveled the world, and I am sure that some encountered a lot of blue water.

A lot of that success is due to respect for mother nature and the attitude of the captain and crew, not the boat that is under them. Either skill, being poor or non-existent, can spell disaster and often does.

My P42 came from the factory on it's own bottom through the canal and lived about 10-12 years on the west coast, before retracing that and back to the east coast where I bought it. The previous owner had no problems, on either trek. Nor did I, on coastal or near coastal runs. I am not sure that I would cross oceans with out shutters or protection for the big salon windows. Similarly, I would have spares and fitting out, and a rig inspection.

The bigger issue, is whether you and the wife can deal with watches and action, when needed, and good decision making on all points of the adventure.

My wife and I took this from our scuba instructor:
1. ANYONE can call the adventure for any reason, at any time.
2. Things come in threes, so when two happens, you have little to no time to address 3. Best to not get to 2 in the first place. Plan accordingly - never wait to reef, and never a bad time to heave to.

As to a "dedicated" blue water boat, books and blogs have been written about what constitutes one and how you can turn your boat in to one. It is really only a question of time and money, and realize that ALL boats are compromises.

Best of luck on your adventure. Get going, daylight is burning.

Feb 6, 2009
Hunter 40 Camano Island
If you do not think your spouse has the skills, knowledge, mindset and physical ability to sail across an ocean by their self, Why would the two of you do it.

Oceans are, accidents happen

there are people who cannot stay sane 40 days alone. IT's not the boat. OF course the boats can make it. The issue is the people.

study, train, learn, practice, apply, then outfit the boat. Its the same. Getting the people outfitted and prepared is far more important than out fitting the boat.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Many of the large cruiser ocean rallies have sessions on how to prepare a production coastal cruiser for blue water use. The ARC has a great one but it goes the other way! Look at the web sites for the rallies that run from the east coast to the carib. They'll have info.

As others have wisely said, it more about you than the boat. But helping the boat get ready is prudent.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
All the above advice is good I think. We sail a Hunter 356. We bought it to sail in Florida and the Bahamas, not as blue water boat. We had some rigging work done by Steve Pettengill last winter, he said he would take the boat anywhere.

As far as modifications goes, there is a good write up under the Hunter 36 version here,

http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/in...mid=267&cat_id=71&aid=6189&page=article&mn=36

He seems to be setting the boat up for some offshore sailing.

The interview Cruising World did a few years back with Hunter has some information you might find useful,
http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=87

You will no doubt have someone tell you the Hunter is too light. Compare the weight of your 356 with an Island Packet 350. ( I don't think anyone refers to an IP as lightly built.)

Good luck and let us know how you make out, Bob

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The single most important item about crossing oceans is the captain's experience and ability. Relying on the boat's strength to face storm weather is just a last resort measure when you cannot out run it or avoid it. The great majority of passages either by design or luck never encounter foul weather. That is why when you hear that a 27' boat crossed an ocean it is considered an outstanding feat when in reality it may have been as easy as crossing a lake, only longer. What defines a blue water boat is mostly its sailing characteristics and life sustaining capabilities. Large water tanks and storage for provisions are usually at the top of the list. Power storage and production as well as fuel capacities follow closely. An easy going sea motion as dictated by its displacement and hull shape is very desirable. Speed can be considered as a safety factor. Important but down in the list are the boat's strength and integrity and riggin upgrades. My best answer to your question is to use the trip down the Bahamas, crossing the Caribbean, across the Panama Canal and along the coast of Mexico and California to gain experience. With good communications, weather reports and the number of safe ports along the way you can easily complete this part of the trip in a safe manner. By then you will have also figured out what modifications and upgrades you would need to do to your boat to handle long passages comfortably. Attempting to cross the Pacific Ocean is a different animal altogether as even if you are aware of a developing weather system you may not be able to outrun or avoid it. This is where foul weather experience and a boat's integrity can make the difference.

Oct 3, 2011
Tayana 52 Jax
Hi Owners, My wife and I are planning to leave for a nice bluewater cruise in March from Delaware. We are currently planning to sail from Delaware to San Francisco through Panama but do not want to feel restrained if we decide to hop across the Pacific. I bought our Hunter 356 as a step between our old Cal 25 and a larger bluewater boat but I am having second thoughts about moving on from the hunter. The boat serves all of our coastal sailing needs and is very comfortable - fun to sail. So here is the question. Any 356 owners with significant bluewater experience? Any recommended upgrades to take my 356 out for a circumnavigation? Any reasons to move on to a dedicated bluewater boat? Anybody have spares for sale :dance:
We came across boats as small as 27' while crossing the Pacific, one had started in Europe. As others have said, picking weather windows helps for any size boat and detail in planning is essential.
I believe the average size sailboat going through Panama is around 45' so there are a number of sub 40' boats making major crossings/transits.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Hobiecanoe;

send an email to jim seamans as he owns a 356 and has sailed to the islands quite a bit and in fact has gone south for the winter. There are a lot of good posts from him in the archives.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Weather

Weather will be your worst enemy and not the boat and yes I sailed my
2007 H-36 from Montauk,NY to Florida and than around the west coast Fl.
When we left 2 out 4 of my crew were not inlove with my Hunter but at the end
in Fl. they told me how surprised that my Hunter was a good boat and were impressed how well my Hunter did on the trip.
I know a few Blue water boats that did not do well on off shore trips and it was because of getting hit with storms and I think blue water boaters think they
can handle anything and maybe should have been more careful of the weather.
Jim Seamans is in Fl. as I speak and has gone to Bahama's many times and the boat has done very well,it's the equipment that was installed on the boat that usually gives in and so backup is a very good thing and yes on a older boat everything needs to be checked and have a expert check the rigging.
I added solar panels supported off my arch and solar is great and free sun and
more dependable than say wind or motor power charging.
Nick