Hunter 340 Windlass

Apr 28, 2014
Hunter 340 Milford, CT
Hi All,
I am contemplating adding a windlass to my 1998 Hunter 340. I know I will need to run wiring to the bow and I do have the factory wiring diagrams that help show where everything was mounted by the factory. The windlass installation itself looks fairly straightforward and there are some photos online that show a windlass installed from above the anchor locker.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the access to the bottom of the anchor locker from the forward cabin. It appears there are screws holding a fascia/liner below the locker. Is it simply a matter of unscrewing this liner and removing it to access the wiring and motor for the windlass?

Thanks

Apr 28, 2014
Hunter 340 Milford, CT
OK, I can offer advice to anyone that has the same question as me. Take the caps off the 7 screws and remove them. Use a thin blade knife to break the seal of caulk between the overhead liner and anchor locker trim piece. The trim piece drops right down for easy access to below the anchor locker.

So, onto the next step. I see only a few posts on installing a windlass in this boat but nothing with too much info. Has anyone done this and do you have advice as to the model of windlass? It appears that both the Lewmar V700 and V1 that have been mentioned as being installed by Hunter. Both these models exit the chain directly down.ward I don't see how this will work as the mounting pedestal is behind the actual storage area for the anchor line and chain. Does anyone have any pictures showing how a Lewmar windlass is mounted on the pedestal and how the chain feeds into the locker?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
The factory installed anchor Windlass on my 2000 H340 is a Simpson/Lawrence Sprint 1000 vertical windlass. The chain spills down from the shelf and into the locker.
Anchor locker.JPG

Apr 28, 2014
Hunter 340 Milford, CT
Thanks for the info and pic. The direct Lewmar replacement is a V1. It seems the newer models are all designed so the chain exits beneath the windlass directly into the locker. The chain on your windlass appears to exit forward into the locker. I found this picture that shows the windlass mounted forward so the chain coming out the bottom of the windlass drops downward into the locker. Mounting this way would expose the lower part of the winch to the elements. I'm not sure if this is the answer to mounting newer windlasses or if there is another option. Are there any other solutions out there?

May 13, 2013
Hunter 336 Windsor
Interested in schematics and model of what you used..cable size and how you ran cable from aft.locker. thx