Hunter 340 Autopilot

May 25, 2016
Hunter 340 New Orleans, LA
I'd like to install an autopilot on my 1999 Hunter 340. I am interested in hearing any comments or recommendations regarding anyone's experience.

Thanks,
Danny Rubio

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Absolutely get an auto pilot. You’ll find it one of the best additions you make to the boat. You may even give it a special name as it will feel like you have a new crew member that does your bidding with out talking back.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
I had one on my 340 that was the ST4000 type wheel pilot. I had some issues with it but it was helpful. My next boat has a rotary motor type that is far superior. Hydraulic is probably overkill for the 340 but I would definitely try to stay away from the wheel pilots.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
If it's in the budget, I would definitely get a below-decks actuated pilot. My experience with the AH4000 wheel pilot was that it was fussy, wouldn't always stay engaged, and wasn't strong enough in some sea conditions where you would really want it. We sailed in a blow, Eastbound with 25 kt. from the Southwest, 1 to 3' seas, for hours, and it couldn't do it; this was in a Catalina 36. Quartering and following seas in such a boat are a challenge for human and mechanical helmsmen alike.

On the other hand, while a below-decks unit will do fine, it's quite a bit more expensive to acquire and install. A professional installation can be as much as the equipment cost if the boat is not factory-prepared to take an autopilot drive.

There was a thread on this last year:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/below-deck-autopilot-on-hunter-340.187923/

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
rudder reference sensor
:plus::plus:

To best use an Auto Pilot, you must think about it being a "Controller" (like a Thermostat or Car Cruise controller).

As Kloudie1 points out, you need "sensor feed back" to the Auto Pilot controller.
Feed back sensors to my ST6000+ Auto Pilot.
1) Rudder position or Reference
2) Flux Compass Bearing
3) GPS location, chart plotter, and sometimes wind speed (optional course tracking )
4) Sea State ( Human sensor that has to be preset or hand inputted)

Finally, and this an often overlooked requirement.....
Tuning the Auto Pilot for sensitivity to your Sensors and boat rudder size.

Jim...

PS: Kind of complex, but once "Tuned" a marvelous boat device.:clap:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
By the way, check the Used Gear section of this site, I have a like-new Raymarine below-decks pilot there.
(Moderator, if this is an inappropriate post, I apologize, and feel free to delete.)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
An there are always a variety of options to choose from. Some old and some new.. None of them require electricity to work, like the gear previously described..
OLD SCHOOL
old sailors.jpg captainand helm.jpg
YOUNG SCHOOL
at the helm (2).jpg girl at helm.jpg
TWIN SCHOOL
twinhelm.jpg
Now there is a happy captain.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Danny, I've got a wheel pilot on my 340. It will keep you straight all day while motoring and sailing in light winds, but when the wind picks up and the big main loads up weather helm on the wheel it just doesn't have the muscle to keep steering. I'm sure there may be issues with my unit, the age, belt may be a little worn, and I know there's a compass, but don't know if there's rudder position sensor.
The wheel pilot works great when you need it to steer while your raising or lowering sails, or getting something below, or have a long straight channel transit by motor. But it's definitely not something I would want to depend on for an offshore passage on our boat.