Hunter 340 anchor selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Kinney

I am looking to upgrade the anchor on my 340; I would like to buy a plow-type anchor. My question is whether anyone has added a CQR, Bruce, Delta, or similar anchor to their 340 and if modification of the anchor roller was necessary.

G

33# Delta

On our 35 we use a 33# delta and it fits the anchor roller fine. the rest of the ground tackle consists of 45 ft of 5/16 high test and Samson 5/8 Gold-N-Braid. The problem has been with the shackles which have difficulty fitting through the bow roller. If I had it to do over again I'd use 3/8 BBB because it will accept a larger shackle. I refuse to use shackles made in China or Tiawan due to quality concerns. The saying is the chain is as strong as it's weakest link. With the 5/16 chain I use a 3/8 split link on each end so I can fit a large enough shackle in. The original Hunter provided rode makes a good trip line. The other anchors you mentioned are excellent but I was trying to keep the weight down a bit and still have something that would hold good in most cases and after about 7 years it has worked just fine in the Northwest.

D

Dakota Jim Russell

Delta

Have a Delta on my 340 with great success. Use only 10 feet of chain spliced to rode (Simpson Lawrence standard) which works perfectly 98% over the electric windless). Delta digs fast, resets well and seems to hold very well. Further it cleans easily (first step is to back with it in the water just below surface - most mud is cleared by that). Might opt for more chain, but have had no problem. More chain means more mud for me, so I'll debate. Been in some heavy stuff without losing it yet. Usually use 7:1 in a blow. Suppose I could drop that some with 30 feet of chain. Friend had a Bruce on a 336 that broke lose. Not a fair test as his boat was caught broadside to a microburst and the anchor did not have a chance to reset before the boat hit the only verticle dirt bank in the bay (lucky him).

P

Paul Bednarzyk

anchors

While I cannot disagree with the thoughts regarding the Delta, I have used a 33# Bruce initially on my 336 and now with my 380. I use 25' feet of 3/8 BBB chain backed by 250' 5/8 New England triple braid. So far have never had a problem with the anchor dragging, even with two other boats rafted up. Having done the foredeck work on a friend's Morgan 41 OI, the Bruce breaks out a heck of alot easier than a CQR. I doubt you can go wrong with either. I am thinking of going to the Delta as a third anchor and using the standard Danforth only as a lunch hook or a kedge anchor.

J

Jennifer

Anchor choice

3 weeks ago the Danforth type anchor supplied with the 340 bent 90 degrees while anchored in gentle winds and usual tides in the Solent (England). Probably while being hauled by electric winch. Most boats here have CQR, but we have replaced with Delta, as the "hinge" arangement on the CQR does not give good initial penetration - see Yachting Monthly Aug 97 - and we like the way the Delta launches and gives good penetration and holding for less weight. So far the Delta has caught and held admirably first time, and lifted easily. The Danforth is now straightened and will be an extra kedge - we have a Fortress kedge already, so this is belt and braces stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.