HUNTER 34 new rigging installation

Jun 12, 2013
Hunter 40 back creek
HI Guys, I need your help here. I am stepping my mast on a Hunter 34 with 4 spreaders. I am installing new rigging. I bought a used mast with all cut cables. Two things I am not sure how to install correctly the diamond rigging in between the 4 spreaders. In particular on the diagonal which diagonal goes fore and aft of the other. In particular which one goes in front as it crosses over the other leg of the X?

Next on the deck we have the 3 chainplate deck plates connections left and right what cable goes where on the chainplate deck plate? port side and starboard side ?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Regarding crossing the diamonds: if you alternate the eyes on the two spreaders (example top is in the forward position and the bottom is aft) they may not touch at the crossing. I wasn't so careful and they touch but I haven't experienced any wear.

At the chainplate the inner position is for the lower diagonal. Look on the spreader ends and you will see a groove. That is the pass through for the shroud that goes to the top. I made that the aft position on the chainplate.

A suggestion for the spreader ends: I used a 1/2 inch bolt and an acorn nut instead of those pins with cotter pins. The acorn nut is smooth and won't chafe the main. No tape or boots are needed. If you ever need to remove it you can get a wrench on the bolt and turn it.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
This area within the forum will I am sure be helpful
http://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-content/themes/marlowhunter/export/Owners-Manuals/

You may also search Hunter B&R Rig tuning there are plenty of helpful articles for this style of rig, the puzzling thing is you say there are (3) chain plates, (3) each side? there are only (2) on each side in any graphic of the B&R rig that I have ever seen, but I am not as worldly as many are here.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I did mine last year, Allen is correct. My rigging touches slightly at the lower section of the X and I have had no wearing issues.
Don't forget to put the prebend in the mast before you step. B&R specifications want 6" of prebend I only did 5".
If you haven't had the rigging done yet I shopped around for months and used seco south in Fl. They were the cheapest by far and as I later found out they made the rigging for Hunter.
I paid about $2600 for everything including new tunnbuckels

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
That is interesting, Allan- That must be the lower spreader by what I see on the mast- but only 2 shrouds coming down to the end and only 3 coming down from the end. I have 3 coming down to and 4 coming down from the end. What is missing- it looks like the continuous one from the top spreader to the forward hole on the deck?

Nov 2, 2014
Hunter 34 Coles Point, VA
I have a 1983 H34 with a B&R rig, I am in the process of installing a roller furling jib; however, I have run into a snag, on the forestay there is a hydraulic tensioner at the base that rises about 14 inches from the stem plate. Has anyone encountered this problem before and how did you handle it? 22JAN17 Picture dump 070.jpg 22JAN17 Picture dump 070.jpg 22JAN17 Picture dump 070.jpg

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I have never seen that set up nor do I know why you would have a hydraulic set up on a forestay. Every boat that I have sailed with hydraulics to produce mast rake is done by the back stay. It looks like for some reason the forestay was modified, cut to short maybe and someone added this set up to make up the length. That's strange, what is the function of that set up?
If it were cut short it would have been more cost effective to replace the stay.
I would just replace the forestay with a new one.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Having never seen a setup like this I can only guess that this works against a B&R rig which is purposely set with too much pre-bend and or purposely set with rake on the mast and the cylinder pulls the excessive pre-bend and or rake out by adding tension to the forestay. Personally I would replace the forestay with the stock setup and then add your roller furling. If you want to add mast rake then do that with a running back stay setup.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Concur with DayDreamer41 to replace the forstay with the hydraulic cylinder for a 34. I sold a few in my time as a dealer. If anyone has reverse cross diagonals that touch or nearly touch, for protection as advised by one fellow with B & R , install a shroud cover as added protection. However, that is not good and you may need to readust the mast.

Nov 2, 2014
Thank you for your replies, I have sailed for over 50 years and never saw that type of set up, but I never owned a boat with this type of rig. Today I went down to meet the sail maker and decided its got to go. I have enjoyed the contributions of all here. Getting ready for another year on the Potomac and Chesapeake

Nov 2, 2014
From the tenor of your message, I missed the opportunity to meet a great guy. And if I read it wrong then I look forward to a meeting in the future.

Rory