Hunter 34 led 12 volt strip lighting upgrade

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Installed new led (red,green,blue) rgb strip lighting with multi functional remote in cabin and cockpit. I wanted to give more ambiance low voltage light in the cabin and cockpit. This upgrade was fairly easy to do after I came up with my game plan.
Strip lighting is very easy to install. Led strip light has markings approximately every 2-4 inches where it can be cut to size and wired to the power transformer that comes with the kit. Cut strips to length and pealed off self stick adhesive and stuck the strip to the fiberglass head liner just along the area where the jib traveler track is bolted thu the deck. Wired power transformer from 12 volt directional cabin light that is attached to fiberglass deck stringer. Repeated this on both sides of main cabin. I did the same in the v-berth and aft quarter berth along the head liner using a 12 volt cabin light as the transformer power supply. The new led strip lighting amazingly draw about the same power as one of the two bulb cabin lights.
The new lighting worked out great! The multifunction remote allows you to choose approximately 20-30 colors and light intensity.
Installed the led strips under all the lazarettes in cockpit as accent light. I like to use the red color function while out sailing because it's easer on you eyes.
This was a great project for approximately $40.00 per kit on Amazon, total project cost was approximately $120.00. I was truly amazed how much light you get from led lights vs a standard 12 volt bulb. Also was amazed by how little voltage led uses, roughly 75% less.

Dec 7, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Annapolis
Yes...pictures please. I did this upgrade using the non-waterproof version of the Amazon strip lights on my Catalina 22 and just bought 2 16ft roles of the waterproof version to do the Hunter 34. I'm interested in your cockpit install details. I also found on my Catalina install that the adhesive back didn't hold for long in the heat of summer. Eventually I used Goop smeared on the back of the strip to secure everything.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
One of the POs of Bella installed AC incandescent strip lighting. It creates a nice ambiance when we're slipped. I think someday I may convert to 12v LED strips

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Hi Mike,
Trying find pics. I used the water proof type with the self stick and you are correct the adhesive on the role did not hold in the cold.
I went back over the everything with a thin bead of clear silicon. Worked great!
I installed the led strip approximately 1/4 inch bellow the black rubber bumpers for the lazarettes. Doing it this way the lights can't be seen when you are in the cockpit, however the light gets defused and is reflected nicely thru the underside of the lazarette door gap opening space. Note that where ever the wires are connected use silicon and heat shrinks to keep water out.
I will post some pics in a few weeks.

Dec 7, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Annapolis
I'm in the process of doing the cabin install now. Once side is completed and looks pretty good. I'm hoping to get around to the other side of the cabin tonight. The led strips kits I bought are 16ft long. The ideal area to install these in the cabin seems to be right behind the teak trim that runs along each side of the cabin ceiling. These are about 8ft long so that leaves me with 8ft of unused strip LED. I may buy another led controller and install the leftovers elsewhere or buy splitters that you connect into the existing controller and install the rest of the strip under the seating along each side. I'll try to snap some pics today.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
V-berth powered by cabin light with transformer and sensor.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Main cabin powered by bulkhead 12 volt light with transformer and sensor
image.jpeg
main cabin main cabin

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
image.jpeg
Aft quarter berth powered by main cabin sensor with on/off switch similar to the v-berth
image.jpeg
cockpit under the lazarette
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Mike,
If you bought the pell and stick type, stick them where you want them and then use a bead of clear silicone along the edge to hold them in place.

The manufacturers adhesive tape is absolutely horrible. Hot/cold temps and humidity kept causing mine to come off.
Clear silicone did the trick.

Good luck.