Hunter 34 Classic Boat Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alan Adelkind

I am writing an article for Canadian Yachting magazine about the Hunter 34 produced between 1982 and 1986. Need owner input regarding what is good or bad about peformance under both power and sail, design features, places travelled to, maintenance issues, in general, anything of interest to someone contemplating the purchase of such a boat.. Please comment on: rig size and complexity hull, keel and rudder configuration galley operations accomodation arrangements deck hardware steering system cockpit comfort leaks detected osmosis issues ease of anchoring canvas usage such as bimini or dodger etc., etc. Many thanks in advance

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Look under 'Boats' tab on home page

Go to the Hunter 34 section and read the owner reviews - they'll give a lot of basic information on the boat and what its owners think. ph.

G

GUIDO GARLASCHI

GREAT VESSEL

WE HAVE A HUNTER 34', 1984. OUR VESSEL HAS BEEN IN THE CARIBEAN, CROSSED PANAMA CANAL 3 TIMES, AND SAILED PARTS OF THE PACIFIC. TODAY WE LIVE IN FL. AND WE HAVE HER AS OUR GET AWAY.. GREAT SAILING VESSEL. WE DO MOST OF THE REPAIRS. WE HAVE PLENTY OF INFO. AND PICTURES. YOU ALSO MAY FIND MORE INFO. IN THE OWNERS SCREEN. GUIDO.

C

craig

Correction on Yrs

Model yrs built were 1983-87. The 87 had oak trim whereas the other yrs were darker. craig

P

Peter

Great Boat - Few Problems

It is a great boat. You get about the most boat for the money with the H34. Mine has had a few problems to note: Its gelcoat is really bad (mine is a 1984). If you pait the boat it looks a lot better. I also changed the color scheme and most people think it is a new boat (these Hunters had great lines). The cockpit is a little small around the wheel. It is sometimes difficult to get by it. The sole in the cabin has a nasty habit of rotting. It is not a big job but it does take some work to replace it. The ports on the boat were just ok. If you keep the gasket clean and new they most likely will not leak (I have had no other deck leaks - which is amazing since Hunter had a real problem with this in the earlier years). The rigging is somewhat compelx but if you get is set up correctly you don't have to mess with it much (I don't race my boat so others may disagree with this) The stern berth does not have much headroom and not a lot of ventalation but this is more than offeset by the V-berth. The good points about the boat: You can really stand up inside - everywhere The ventalation is GREAT! The wheel is very big. You feel like you are sailing a maxi yacht. The performance of the boat is incredible. I have seen well over hull speed on my boat (shoal draft keel). My boat has been paitned and the wooden trim removed. Most people think it is a new model. The boat is a very dry boat to sail (it is so far up from the water. It is easy to work on the boat everything is accessable. I have owned a few other boats and rebuilt most of them. I can say that the H34 is one of the best I have been around. It is good for what it was built for - coastal cursing and lakes/rivers.

D

DJ Dreyer

Great Boat

The 34 are a great boat for coastal cruising. Yes, you can take her out in the deep blue and some people sail across the ocean in an 8' dinghy - but do you really want to! I would feel comfortable to take mine to Bermuda (but no farther) after I redid the mast kingpost (common 34 problem), put in extra cockpit scuppers, built up the step into the cabin, etc… I’ve lived on mine for about 6 years on and off including 3 with a wife, kid and cat. Very enjoyable. I added a transom extension on mine and love it. It adds to the pleasure of dropping the anchor in the Chesapeake Bay someplace nice and going for a swim. It also aids in getting in and out of my dinghy. Although it adds some waterline length, I don’t think the extension adds or detracts from the boat’s performance. A friend made 3 extensions for his, mine and another friends boat but I don’t think he wants to make anymore more as he is too busy working on more profitable items. Good points: layout, sailing ability, and livability. Bad: poor mast kingpost design, typical Hunter fiberglass and general finishing

S

SUSIE GARLASCHI

but...wait again..!

I beg to differ with anyone who think the H34 is not a blue water boat! Maybe it wasn't the builder's intentions, but she did a great job on the deep ocean of the Carribean, and Equatorian Pacific waters. Yes, it took some extra preparation, Lots of spare parts, and alot of attitude- We had a great adventure- one we'll never forget - and hopefully get to do again someday...:)

R

Ramsay Selden

All I would Add

Great overall combination of price, size, layout, performance, and looks. I think the cockpit is small for more than 2-3 people and not particularly comfortable over a long time. Agree on aft cabin, but how many 34-footers have them at all? I find her sensitive to trim to get high performance. Needs to be set up well to be manageble easily by one person (stowing or stack-pack for main), but is fine for 2. Bimini has to go around split backstay. Anchoring and deanchoring is easy, but it would be nice to have a washdown for the anchor line. Tank indicators would be nice. I don't like running a lot on the engine: my Westerbeke is noisy and vibrates, but it is reliable. Need the rudder update, adding 5 inches or so the the rudder area.

P

PJ

We race our 84, 34

in everything with 6-8 crew for bouys to 28 mile offshores, 5-7 crew for 196 mile off shores, and a double hand (2 people) on a 65 mile off shore race. With good sails she holds her own against anybody. Don't let the sailmaker talk you into the 'standard' 2 reef points. Make your 1st reef at the 2nd point and make your 2nd reef where a 3rd or 4th would be. If you have a 155, skip the 145 and go to a 135 or 125 when buying headsails. Add an 8D or 2 6volt golf cart batteries for the house, for extended electricity, and a micro-wave for when in port and yes a dodger/bimini, and with a Pussers rum in your hand, it don't get much better. A split backstay adjuster helps in medium to heavy wind, as does a Garhauer solid vang and ball bearing jib cars. PSY makes a great dripless packing system as does Flex-o-fold for a prop. We have pounded upwind for 24 hours plus in 6-10 footers with a double reef and a 85% jib, with water coming over the cabin top to the cockpit every 5 minutes or so. The boat took it better than the crew. Every boat has its strong suit, this one in my opion is ultra light to medium (15-18 knots true) going upwind, beam and broad reach, and heavy air downwind. Unless you have the perfect sails, heavy air upwind is tough to compete in. If you need more information write me paulsails@juno.com Good luck

R

Richard

end to end

I have just about done every thing you can do to a Hunter 34. Too many projects to mention. You Name it, except replacing the engine. How about wall paper? Call if you need more. 727-821-5334

Status
Not open for further replies.