Hunter 33 Rudder Delamination

Jan 21, 2019
Hunter 33 Maynadier
We keep our 2008 Hunter 33 in the Severn River, Maryland. We pull it every other year. When our marina pulled the boat in Nov 2017 they contacted us to say that half of IMG_20181203_150318818_HDR.jpg IMG_20181203_150315163_HDR.jpg our rudder fell off. What happed is one side delaminated and fell off. We have an estimate to replace of $4200. Progressive insurance would not cover it. It could happen again. Does anyone know of insurance that would cover this problem?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the forum @Tavenerj . You pull the boat each year, On inspection in 2015 was there no evidence of this issue. Did you have a issues sailing the boat? It would seem to me that you would have noticed the issue.

Not sure of any insurance plans that would cover this type of damage. Not sure why your company did not cover the problem. There is no reason to believe that the problem will reoccur if you maintain and inspect the boat. It is not a regular type of claim.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Not really caused by an “accident”, unless you can point to some grounding or other event that may have caused the damage, that eventually led to,the delamination.

We have several H33’s in our marina. I am not aware of any of those owners having issues with their rudders. We have to haul out annually for a long winter layover :-(

Sorry about the problems with the rudder.

Greg

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
It's not uncommon to see foam rudders with delamination, particularly in cold climates where some water leaked in and froze over winter. Although I've not seen anything that drastic. We had a H40.5 in New England for many years which suffered delamination. I knew it was happening which I couldn't mitigate despite all the usual tricks. Eventually, it progressed to the extend I had to replace it.

Regardless, insurance isn't likely to pay unless you can demonstrate the cause as accidental which isn't likely and they know that.

If it's any consolation, $4200 is not out of the reasonable for a new one.

Jul 24, 2012
Hunter H31 Saint John NB CA
If you're interested, I can point you to a website that shows you how to rebuild your rudder. Not all that difficult if you've used fiberglass before.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Did any part of the hull get damaged?
Are there any fragments of fiberglass on the ground below the rudder? I am wondering about the two of the holes in the foam at same level in the middle.

Noticed barnacles on damage area. Do you have any other photos of a close up of the edges. What is cost of surveyor to look at the rudder. Did insurance company send out anyone to look.

I bet something hit that rudder. This is why for detailed rudder edge photos and hull too. In my years as a dealer I never saw anything like that delaminating