Hunter 33 missing water heater

May 16, 2017
Pearson 10 Meter 39 Westport Ma
This is a little embarrassing. I believe I bought a boat with a water heater. There are hot and cold faucets in the galley and head. There is a switch on the account panel for a water heater, but for the life of me, I can't find the stupid tank.

It wasn't a high priority since it's 120 volts only and I keep my boat at a mooring. But now I have discovered the water system has a substantial leak somewhere and I thought the hot water tank might be a good place to start.

I expected to find it tucked under the quarter berth, but no dice. It's also under any of the other berths either or in starboard locker or in the lazerette.

The one place I haven't looked is under the floor of the storage compartment under the galley sink. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Starboard side aft of engine.. Worked on one there a few years back in a '78 H-33. Cylindrical tank.. The engine can provide hot water if you pipe the water such that you take water from the jump over hose to the tank exchanger then back to the exhaust manifold. Works quickly and well. Check attached file..

Attachments

May 16, 2017
Starboard side aft of engine.. Worked on one there a few years back in a '78 H-33. Cylindrical tank.. The engine can provide hot water if you pipe the water such that you take water from the jump over hose to the tank exchanger then back to the exhaust manifold. Works quickly and well. Check attached file..
Thanks,bKloudie1. I will take a deeper look in that area when I head back out to the boat. And especially thanks about the tip to provide engine supplied heating. I assumed that I would have to replace the heater itself for that.

May 16, 2017
Thanks, Alctel. I will check there as well. I know there is a shelf in my lazarette. I will check under it.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Consider connecting the heater to the fresh water/coolant circuit instead of the raw water circuit. The raw (salt) water will corrode the heater quicker.

May 16, 2017
Thanks, ggrizzard.
I don't have that choice, I don't believe. I have straight raw water cooling. I don't have a heat exchanger

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I understand. I didn't either on my original, 1979 YSM 12 yanmar.
The raw water cooling ate up two water heaters and, eventually, the engine itself.
I finally bought a used 2GM20F and have been humming away ever since.

Good luck with your new baby.
G.