Hunter 33 2QM15

Mar 13, 2017
Hunter 33c Pasedena MD
Recently acquired a hunter 33 with a bad engine. PO had rebuilt, but said the alarms kept going off. But he wasn't sure what alarms as most of the panel is missing. When I inspected the engine the crankcase was full of water. I'm not sure where the water came from or if the engine is even salvageable. Trying to decide if I should just pick up another 2qm15 to replace this one or repower with a slightly larger more modern engine . Any thoughts?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Water instead of oil sounds bad. Was engine submerged?

Mar 13, 2017
Hunter 33c Pasedena MD
The pan underneath the engine was full of water due to a blockage. But I don't believe it got high enough to get into the engine. My understanding was the engine had only been ran twice since the rebuild, maybe something was screwed up from the beginning. I agree 15 hp does sound a bit under powered. But from what I've read replacing with another 2qm15 seems to be the simplest path.

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Any idea who did the rebuild? Maybe some warranty is available.
How many hours on the engine? Might be worth a tear down to check condition.
And yes I would agree that engine is lacking in horsepower.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Was the crankcase overfilled? All scenarios that I can envision with water or coolant entering this engine through a defect would result in an overfilled crankcase. If overfilled; it is possible, although unlikely, that someone mistakenly added water or antifreeze into the oil fill port. This would go directly into your crankcase. Also, the cylinder liners on that engine are sealed from the crankcase with o rings. If the rebuild was not done properly, a leak at the liner o rings would allow coolant a direct path to your crankcase. The water pump on that engine is belt driven and external so that would not be a path into the crankcase. If you pump out the oil, replace the oil and filter, crank the engine a few times without starting and replace the oil and filter again, you should get nearly all of the water out. Run the engine and periodically stop and check the dipstick to see if the crankcase is filling up with water or coolant. There is still hope.

Mar 13, 2017
Hunter 33c Pasedena MD
The invoice from the rebuild is on the boat, but i doubt there is any warranty. No idea the number of hours on the engine (most of the gauge panel is missing) Next time I go up to the boat I intend on on pulling he head and checking for damage. Depending on what I find I may try to fire it up and see what happens.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Back in my youthful outboard racing days, after a flip, we were in the next heat. A quick flush with carbon-tet, a few squirts of oil, and those Mercs would fire right up. No crankcase of course but on your diesel you should be able to get the water out. With the decompression lever you can hand crank to make sure nothing is broken while moving the oil through the engine. I'd try that before dismantling the engine.

Mar 13, 2017
Hunter 33c Pasedena MD
Yea, like I said I'll give her a try if nothing else I think I have a line on a good used 2gm20f. It's missing tranny and I'm not sure if the one I currently have is compatible. As long as I am done before it warms up enough to go sailing I'm ok. If not I'll worry about it next fall.

Mar 13, 2017
Hunter 33c Pasedena MD
Made it back up to the boat this evening and pumped the oil/water out of the crankcase looks like about 3-4 quarts water in addition to the oil. Turned engine over by hand 270 degrees before she stopped.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
OK, so now we know the crankcase was overfilled with water by something other than submersion. I recommend changing the oil and filter a couple of times after turning the engine over by hand. Hold the decompression lever while turning it over. That lever is on the valve cover. Make sure you have coolant and/or seawater in the coolant loop(s). Once you are comfortable that only oil is in the crankcase try cranking it over with the starter while holding the decompression lever while keeping an eye on the oil level with the dip stick. If it starts to rise there is a mechanical problem with coolant leaking into the crankcase. If the level remains stable and the oil uncontaminated, then try starting her up. Watch the dipstick for a while for water contamination and level rising. Good luck. Please report findings.

Mar 13, 2017
Hunter 33c Pasedena MD
went to hit starter button this morning and nothing, bad starter solenoid, While I was down there checking the starter I noticed where the head gasket had been weeping. Pulled the head and number two cylinder was full of water. I cleaned the water out and both cylinder walls look clean with no visible damage, The head was not so fortunate, but I have a spare head that just needs some minor cleaning and should work fine. I have all of the gaskets but one and i should be able make it. Hopefully I can get most of it put back together tonight. Starter solenoid I will order when I get home tomorrow, didn't really feel like the $150 at local shop was a fair price.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Curiouser and curiouser. Better check the exhaust elbow for water back up as well.

Mar 13, 2017
Hunter 33c Pasedena MD
I checked the exhaust elbow, it looked new. I also found another new, but shorter one in the spares. At this point I believe someone pocketed $4500 and stuck a used engine in the boat.
2qm15.jpg

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
You need a detective more than a mechanic. Excessive cranking without starting can possibly fill up the exhaust elbow with water and that water could eventually rise and run into the cylinders. The crankcase, however, should not fill up as you described under that scenario. Did the failed solenoid appear to have been submerged? How about the transmission? If this is saltwater cooled, could it have frozen with water in the block?

Mar 13, 2017
Hunter 33c Pasedena MD
ok, thought i would update this. I replaced the head gasket, set the valves, checked pretty much everything and replaced the water pump, all of the filters etc, etc. I had to order a new starter solenoid. When i was trying to bleed the fuel system, i got a lot of gunk from the injector pump, so had to pull the banjo valve to clean it out and order new crush washers. I also noticed the lift pump is kind of weak, will probably replace it with an electric. It's a 9 hour drive from here so i am moving alot slower than i wished.

Mar 13, 2017
Hunter 33c Pasedena MD
Updating this just incase anyone else is following. Having replaced head gasket, the crush washers in the injection pump, the injectors and all of the filters, water pump impeller etc etc. I did manage to get the 2qm to fire. And she promptly ran away. Good news was no water in the oil. I'm thinking rings . Any input would be greatly appreciated.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Huge progress! Take a look at the governor linkage. What crush washers in the injection pump?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Another thought: Many C33's, mine included, have the throttle at the pedestal operate backwards. You push it forward to slow the engine. Your runaway problem could be a simple backwards throttle.