Hunter 326 Max-Prop testing & speeds (2GM20F)

Feb 14, 2012
Hunter 326 Seattle
I recently had my 326 hauled out, and had a fresh coat of bottom paint, the Max-Prop serviced and the hull waxed up all nice and shiny. She's loaded down for cruising (chain rode, dingy on davits, extra batteries, etc.), so she sits pretty low in the water. So low, that I had the waterline paint raised 2" a few years back and she pretty much sits at the waterline. She still has the original 2GM20F engine, with some 900 hours on the clock. The engine also had the exhaust elbow replaced recently and the injectors serviced, so all-in-all, she's in excellent running condition right now.

I just happened to be out on the Puget Sound last weekend and realized with the perfectly flat water an only a whisper of wind, it'd be a good time to test everything out and get a few snaps of the results. For each of the engine speed settings, I let things settle down for about 60 seconds before taking my measurements. And I'm only guestimating the fuel consumption, based on the Yanmar engine manual for fuel consumption at different RPM's. Cruising Range is 80% of estimated max range, based on 25 gallons of fuel

RPM ---- Speed Over Water ---- GPM ---- Oil Pressure ---- Cruising Range
1000 ------------ 2.1 Kts ------------- ~0.2 ---------- 30 PSI -------------- 263 NM
1500 ------------ 3.1 Kts ------------- ~0.2 ---------- 40 PSI -------------- 388 NM
2000 ------------ 4.2 Kts ------------- ~0.3 ---------- 40 PSI -------------- 350 NM
2500 ------------ 5.3 Kts ------------- ~0.5 ---------- 30 PSI -------------- 265 NM
3000 ------------ 6.1 Kts ------------- ~0.7 ---------- 30 PSI -------------- 218 NM
3600 ------------ 6.6 Kts ------------- ~1.2 ---------- 45 PSI -------------- 137 NM

Here's the visual data I collected from my Raymarine chartplotter, which is connected to a data collector wired into the engine wiring harness for basic engine info.
1000 RPM

1500 RPM

2000 RPM

2500 RPM

3000 RPM

3600 RPM

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
Just as an observation, it is not normal for your oil pressure to drop down while increasing engine rpm. I would check the electronic reading with a mechanical gauge hooked into the oil system, just as a confidence factor for the electronic signals.

Feb 14, 2012
Hunter 326 Seattle
Thanks! Yeah, she's pretty well setup now for multi week trips. I was recently going over old receipts and invoices, adding up all the upgrades over the past 5-years and realized I could have nearly bought another 326!

I just finished watching some of your YouTube videos about your 326. I really like your lifeline/gate move, and the electric head. Any complaints on the new toilet? I'm sure my Mrs. would really like that upgrade.

Jul 11, 2016
Hunter 326 Oriental, NC
It's amazing how fast the money goes on boats. I bought ours used and like you, could have almost bought 2 by now.

The gate move was a great change, and I recommend it highly. I hated trying to either; step on the 2" of deck space before the helm, or trying to step right into the helm and not bang your head on the bimini. The new location makes a big difference.

No complaints on the new head. It makes it nice not only for the Mrs. but for any guests that aren't sailors. It's much easier to explain how to just press a button for 4 seconds than it is to pump push the lever pump some more.

As you probably saw from the videos though I still have some upgrades to get that you already have, like the nice chartplotter and engine monitor setup. I really like that. Right now I kind of have to wait until my engine is overheated and the idiot lights go off before I know anything so I'm just relying on all the scheduled maintenance I can do.

Last edited: