Hunter 320 Windlass

Kevy

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 320 Nanaimo
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone with a Hunter 320 has installed a windlass in the anchor locker or how you went about it?

I think I need to go horizontal (Lewmar 1000?) due to the angle and there is a mounting area, but it doesn't really look like it will work too well. If anyone has any experiences or advice I'd appreciate it.

Thinking 50' chain and a Rocna 15kg.

Cheers!

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Installed one in a 310. Post a photo of your locker interior with dimensions and someone here should be able to offer what you need. Also do a search for "windlass" in the archives to see what's available.

Jan 4, 2006
Aw crap ! All that work and I don't seem to be able to open any of your files.

SBO Error.JPG

Any chance you can upload them as attachments ?

Kevy

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 320 Nanaimo
Hmm, I can try...but the only other option I seem to have is to enter a URL from a site..
Let's see,
upload_2019-5-5_9-7-30.jpeg

upload_2019-5-5_9-8-4.jpeg

upload_2019-5-5_9-8-15.jpeg

upload_2019-5-5_9-8-28.jpeg

upload_2019-5-5_9-8-56.jpeg

upload_2019-5-5_9-9-22.jpeg

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
You need to get a windlass with base plate that allow the chain/rode to fall forward. Most if not all has chain/rode falling vertically down which will not work for your h320.

KenY

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hmm, I can try...but the only other option I seem to have is to enter a URL from a site..
Let's see,
Perfect .................. identical to mine.

The quality of this .pdf is not the greatest as the original is too big to plant here. I can e-mail the original to you if you need a better copy.

Once you see the installation of the vertical windlass, you will see why I installed it with this extra Starboard plate. IMO, this is the the best location for the windlass motor as it is in a clean, dry location. I have seen a windlass motor removed from an anchor locker and it was nothing more than a ball of rust. Age unknown.

A note of caution here, the fore/aft location of the hole for the windlass column is critical within 1/4". Too far forward and you're into the aft wall of the anchor locker. To far back and the chain won't drop down the windlass exit because of the forward portion of the pedestal.

PM me if you need any further info.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...PM me if you need any further info.
Ralph, something I did that was a good thing... Where you have the rocker switch located somewhere, I located mine on the helm . SINCE THE VOLTAGE FOR THAT SWITCH IS NOT INTERCONNECTED WITH THE POWER FOR THE MOTOR, I picked up 12v from something inside the helm pod with an inline fuse for it. As a fail-safe thing for snooping fingers, the cockpit light on the helm must be turned on to get the get the 12v to the fuse, then the switch. The up/down is just about always done with the bow paddle switch, though.

Last edited:

Kevy

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 320 Nanaimo
Great write up! That's a good help for sure. I've had advice that a horizontal windlass might be best, but I don't think I'd be able to get it to drop. This set up seems super.