Hunter 310 Outhaul Rigging Question

JScho

Jun 14, 2017
Hunter 310 Catawba Island, OH
Sorry to be so dense but only had the boat for a month and still getting acquainted with the rigging. How is the mainsail outhaul rigged? I see the outhaul cable attached to the clew of the mainsail going into the boom. Were is it coming out and where does it cleat (I assume near the mast?). Can't seem to find the other end. Maybe all covered up with my sail cover.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Maybe all covered up with my sail cover.
Entirely possible. When first starting out on a new boat I like to take the sails off and start bare boat. Gives mee chance to see how everything goes together. Same for the rigging. When sails are off and down below you can see the blocks, the lines, how they work (or don't:yikes:) everything exposed. You can run the running rigging and see the condition of the lines and blocks. Then when you put up the sails they all go together.
Been more than once when putting up a sail that I find a problem with a sail hank or tear. Much better than leaving the sail under the cover.(my opinion).
Good luck with you new love. and Welcome to the forum.

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
On my 310 it exits the boom at the mast on the port side and ties off on a cleat on the boom.

Tim

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If the outhaul goes into the boom then likely the other end is on the boom near the mast. Either on the side or beneath the boom. There is likely a cleat or cam cleat near the exit to hold the outhaul when tightened.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Absolutely correct team!

My equipment is Kenyon and these two images should show the exit points at boom end and at the mast. Please note that the wire rope terminates as a thimble and a shackle attaches that to the mainsail clew. Somewhere inside the boom the out haul wire rope (cable) attaches to a braided line.

I would also do exactly what @jssailem suggests by removing sails and inspect the running rigging. You'll learn a lot that way as well.

Image 1.jpg
Image 2.jpg

JScho

Jun 14, 2017
Thanks for the imput everybody! I will investigate this weekend.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego

Attachments

Last edited:

JScho

Jun 14, 2017
Joe, Thanks! It looks like page 13 may shows my arrangement which has the outhaul coming out of the boom to a cleat on the boom (page 16 is different than mine). That's why I could not see it under my sail cover. I'm going to verify when I get to the boat this weekend. Thanks again for your input!! This forum is great! :]